F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Buyer - Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2024, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Buyer - Looking for advice

Hello everyone! I’m thrilled to share that I plan to purchase an F-Type in the next 3-4 months and become part of this amazing community , but I have some questions and need clarity on a few points. I’d really appreciate your insights, as I’m finding it frustrating to get the information I need, especially since I don’t live in the UK or USA, where things might differ.

To kick things off, with Jaguar ending F-Type production in 2024, will I be able to find spare parts for a used F-Type in the next 4-5 years? Additionally, I’m curious about its reliability as a daily driver:

1- Are there common issues with the transmission, engine, or electrical systems?
2- How effective is the AC in keeping cool during summer?
3- Any known interior problems?
4- Are there differential issues, particularly with V6s or V8s AWD?
5- How costly are spare parts?

I also want clarification on a few specifics:

1- Is it true that the exhaust on the 2019/2020 models is quieter than earlier versions? If so, how can I address this? I prefer the facelifted design with the new LED headlights and larger infotainment system, that's why I'm a bit concerned about this point because i really love the loud noise of the exhaust of this amazing car.

2- I’m considering either a 2019/2020 V6s (P380 R-Dynamic AWD) or a V8 (P450/P575 R-Dynamic). Which is typically more economical to maintain?

3- What’s the cost and feasibility of remapping or tuning a Jaguar F-Type? Is it expensive? How can i order parts to my country like ECU tuner and crank pulley (I live in Kuwait)?

4- Is retrofitting the new digital cluster from the 2021+ models to a 2019/2020 possible?

I Might have missed some things, so if anyone has any additional helpful information or tips, i would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 10-01-2024, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 629 Likes on 426 Posts

Answers inserted below:

Will I be able to find spare parts for a used F-Type in the next 4-5 years?
- I wouldn't expect parts to be an issue, especially in that time frame. The last of the new production will have warranty/maintenance coverage for 5 years (in the US).
- I still get the parts I need for my '67 e-Type; albeit with a little searching at this point.
Reliability as a daily driver.

- Most forum members don't use the F-Type as a daily driver, but plenty do. It's certainly a challenge in you live in cold/snowy climes, but it doesn't sound like that's you.

1- Are there common issues with the transmission, engine, or electrical systems?
The engine has a long history and has been used reliably in many JLR models. The most common issue is with cooling pipes in the older models, but they were redesigned several years ago. Even with the original design, it's not like it was pervasive. My MY14 is original and hasn't had an issue, although the MY17 was replaced under warranty. Reports on transmission issues are fairly rare. Electrical issues are mostly around keeping the battery current/charged. Occasionally, people are having to track down a bad ground.

I'm in North Carolina. Regularly over 90F in the summer (rarely over 100). No worries here.

Sticky buttons over time, though probably outside your time window. May not be an issue on newer model years.
Not commonly.

No one is going to call them cheap, but, more often, people complain about labor.
Is it true that the exhaust on the 2019/2020 models is quieter than earlier versions? If so, how can I address this?
Even the newer model years aren't exactly silent - especially on the V8. I don't know that you'd complain, but there are aftermarket exhausts if you're so inclined.

I’m considering either a 2019/2020 V6s (P380 R-Dynamic AWD) or a V8 (P450/P575 R-Dynamic). Which is typically more economical to maintain?
I wouldn't consider them particularly different for maintenance. Obviously, gas mileage is different, but shouldn't be a major factor in Kuwait.
3- What’s the cost and feasibility of remapping or tuning a Jaguar F-Type? Is it expensive? How can i order parts to my country like ECU tuner and crank pulley.
You should be able to get Velocity parts without a problem. Installation is quite manageable.
4- Is retrofitting the new digital cluster from the 2021+ models to a 2019/2020 possible?
I don't KNOW about this, but expect it could be a problem.

Meanwhile, spend some quality time reading through the sticky "How To" thread. Good tips and information resources.

Good luck!

Last edited by uncheel; 10-01-2024 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-01-2024, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
Answers inserted below:

Will I be able to find spare parts for a used F-Type in the next 4-5 years?
- I wouldn't expect parts to be an issue, especially in that time frame. The last of the new production will have warranty/maintenance coverage for 5 years (in the US).
- I still get the parts I need for my '67 e-Type; albeit with a little searching at this point.
Reliability as a daily driver.

- Most forum members don't use the F-Type as a daily driver, but plenty do. It's certainly a challenge in you live in cold/snowy climes, but it doesn't sound like that's you.

The engine has a long history and has been used reliably in many JLR models. The most common issue is with cooling pipes in the older models, but they were redesigned several years ago. Even with the original design, it's not like it was pervasive. My MY14 is original and hasn't had an issue, although the MY17 was replaced under warranty. Reports on transmission issues are fairly rare. Electrical issues are mostly around keeping the battery current/charged. Occasionally, people are having to track down a bad ground.

I'm in North Carolina. Regularly over 90F in the summer (rarely over 100). No worries here.

Sticky buttons over time, though probably outside your time window. May not be an issue on newer model years.
Not commonly.

No one is going to call them cheap, but, more often, people complain about labor.
Is it true that the exhaust on the 2019/2020 models is quieter than earlier versions? If so, how can I address this?
Even the newer model years aren't exactly silent - especially on the V8. I don't know that you'd complain, but there are aftermarket exhausts if you're so inclined.

I’m considering either a 2019/2020 V6s (P380 R-Dynamic AWD) or a V8 (P450/P575 R-Dynamic). Which is typically more economical to maintain?
I wouldn't consider them particularly different for maintenance. Obviously, gas mileage is different, but shouldn't be a major factor in Kuwait.
3- What’s the cost and feasibility of remapping or tuning a Jaguar F-Type? Is it expensive? How can i order parts to my country like ECU tuner and crank pulley.
You should be able to get Velocity parts without a problem. Installation is quite manageable.
I don't KNOW about this, but expect it could be a problem.

Meanwhile, spend some quality time reading through the sticky "How To" thread. Good tips and information resources.

Good luck!

Hello uncheel!

Thank you so much for your reply.. i truly appreciate the time you took to address my questions and points.
Your insight was very helpful. I will definitely check the forum more closely

Do you possibly have a link or website where I can buy and ship velocity parts to Kuwait?

Thank you again!

Old 10-01-2024, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 629 Likes on 426 Posts
Old 10-01-2024, 06:46 PM
Received 195 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ZA5TEESH
Hello everyone! I’m thrilled to share that I plan to purchase an F-Type in the next 3-4 months and become part of this amazing community , but I have some questions and need clarity on a few points. I’d really appreciate your insights, as I’m finding it frustrating to get the information I need, especially since I don’t live in the UK or USA, where things might differ.

To kick things off, with Jaguar ending F-Type production in 2024, will I be able to find spare parts for a used F-Type in the next 4-5 years? Additionally, I’m curious about its reliability as a daily driver:

I also want clarification on a few specifics:

1- Is it true that the exhaust on the 2019/2020 models is quieter than earlier versions? If so, how can I address this? I prefer the facelifted design with the new LED headlights and larger infotainment system, that's why I'm a bit concerned about this point because i really love the loud noise of the exhaust of this amazing car.

2- I’m considering either a 2019/2020 V6s (P380 R-Dynamic AWD) or a V8 (P450/P575 R-Dynamic). Which is typically more economical to maintain?

3- What’s the cost and feasibility of remapping or tuning a Jaguar F-Type? Is it expensive? How can i order parts to my country like ECU tuner and crank pulley (I live in Kuwait)?

I Might have missed some things, so if anyone has any additional helpful information or tips, i would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

(1)
The engine itself is considered pretty bullet proof. One thing that people suggest, however, is to use a fuel system cleaner in your gas on occasion to help prevent injector carbon build up that can be known to occur. Most feel that taking these steps helps avoid that.

The transmission is one of the most reliable available given that it’s a ZF. The tuning of the ZF in the latest of F-types is, by many, considered to be one of the best ZF implementations out there (different applications can be very different). I can’t really speak to the reliability of the manual unit.

Electronics. Jags of new do not have the problems of old. Since they switched suppliers to Bosch most say they are no more reliable or unreliable than any other European brand. As was said, the best thing you can do with these cars is keep their batteries on a charger/conditioner whenever they are not in use. This will extend the life of your expensive battery, while at the same time more than likely shielding you from the majority of typical “electrical problems” folks encounter. This seems to be the experience/belief of most on the forum.

(2)
My car is brand new, but I’ve never seen issues with the A/C.

(3)
It is true the newer cars DO NOT have the sticky button problem. The new gen definitely has that problem fixed, but some model years of the previous gen have updated switch gear too without the problem. You would have to search to see what year the fix was implemented. Replacing buttons on an older car with the problem is expensive from what I hear.

The interior vents in the center stack can fail to raise and lower apparently. There is a way to keep them open all the time apparently, something which I may do. There are videos out there for DIY fixing the potential failure as well.

(4)
If you maintain the fluids in them appropriately for how hard you drive and maintenance schedules most say you should be fine. If you don’t change the fluid you will have issues.

(5)
It’s a luxury brand. It won’t be Ferrari, Maserati, or Porsche expensive but you should set your expectations realistically, it won’t be exactly cheap.

SPECIFICS;

- I have a 2024 R. Even it’s not quiet by any measure when you pull fuse 15, so no doubt you will find anything previous gen more than fine. Mine sounds awesome in my view, and generally the new gen is considered quieter than prev gen.

- Doubt there is much difference in maintenance cost v6 to v8.

- I’m not into tuning. No interest, but VAP is cost effective they say.

- I wouldn’t touch trying to change to digital cluster on prev gen with a 10 foot pole myself. You’d probably be better off trying to stretch your budget to a 2021 MY and avoid that. Doing so would bring other advantages as well…Improved suspension/handling, and certain other small refinements…

Good luck

Old Yesterday, 03:50 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by DMeister
(1)
The interior vents in the center stack can fail to raise and lower apparently. There is a way to keep them open all the time apparently, something which I may do.
The best you can do is set them to open regardless of climate conditions - it's not "open all the time" as they'll close when you turn the car off and rise when you turn it on.

The following users liked this post:
DMeister (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by scm
The best you can do is set them to open regardless of climate conditions - it's not "open all the time" as they'll close when you turn the car off and rise when you turn it on.
You’re sure, eh? Interesting, okay, I have a link recorded somewhere with some info around it that I was going to try. By the sounds of it it won’t work out.

Never really appreciated/liked that gimmicky raising vent. Was hoping to just leave it open and avoid the issues.

Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by scm
Note in this link the comment by Unhingd making it sound like it is possible:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-raise-193959/

I sent him a note asking him to clarify.

Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 2,412 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
This is correct, at least for early model F-Types.
I played around with the Climate settings and there was no way to have the centre vent either permanently up/open (which is what I was after) or permanently down.

Old Today, 03:50 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
This is correct, at least for early model F-Types.
I guess my MY18 is an "early model", too!

Old Today, 05:09 AM

No doubt you guys are right, and I’m just confused and/or interpreting things in the direction of what I want ;-0