F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To new buyers and those considering it. Should I daily drive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 09:00 PM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Drive or ship your F-type to CA for the winter, and get a cheap winter beater for around here.
this is probably the best plan -- would be a pretty great road trip -- ship it out in the fall and drive it back in the spring...a cheap early 996 with a replaced IMS bearing could be a pretty great winter car; not sure I could ever call a 911 a beater but they're pretty cheap these days:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...11-carrera-36/

Old 07-24-2018, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

I like my 2-car setup: a beater for daily, a jag for weekend. Not only practical but also keeping maintenance costs down.

Is the audio problem you guys all complain about for the 380 or 770-watt Meridian system? I'm an audiophile so great sound is very important.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:29 AM
V8S
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
I like my 2-car setup: a beater for daily, a jag for weekend. Not only practical but also keeping maintenance costs down.

Is the audio problem you guys all complain about for the 380 or 770-watt Meridian system? I'm an audiophile so great sound is very important.
I have the 770W. Its ok. But for the price it is awful.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:25 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would love to use mine as a daily driver, but the parking lot at work is a door ding nightmare coupled with people who clearly don't care about other people's property. Both my current and previous daily driver vehicles have got beaten up in that parking lot, so my cat stays safely at home in the garage.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Parking is also my primary consideration when deciding whether or not to drive the F-Type. It is always my first choice for transportation unless I can’t be certain about the parking options or the cargo is potentially damaging.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:05 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm lucky with parking since at work, I go up to the 7th floor of the parking deck and there is a group of us who care about our cars and we all park together. I know 4 of the people who park near me by name, and 2 others by sight. When I have to run errands or go shopping or something, I make sure I park where I have the least chance of getting dinged - I generally go all the same places so know where people are more stupid than usual. Of course that's also part of why I do a lot of shopping online - I don't like dealing with people.

As for having a second car - I don't have room for that! I have my car, my husband has a car, his "beater" Pathfinder (which is how we transport dogs to the vet, etc, go to Lowe's, etc.), plus his work van and our 2-car garage is filled with motorcycles. Without parking on the front lawn, I wouldn't have room for it - we already have to play musical vehicles sometimes. Besides, I don't want a car I can't drive. I like looking at show cars, but would never have one because for me, I want to be able to drive it, not just look at it and trailer it places. But that's just me. We're all different.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:46 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

I have daily driven mine for 4 years, no worries no regrets. I can choose amongst 6 cars at the moment, the f Type is my weekday daily drive, the e Type is my weekend fun drive. 4x4s for hauling, holidays camping and bush.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:18 AM
V8S
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
I've had my 14 V8S for over 3-1/2 years now and it's no garage queen by any measure as I'm at 34k miles in that time but it's never been my daily driver. I work in Northern Virginia/DC area but actually live 80+ miles away in Pennsylvania. I tend to go down and stay 2-3 days and then return. All during that time driving to meetings between many of our metro area offices and clients. Lots of stop and go, lots of traffic and lots of really poor drivers.....unhingd excepted of course!

Well these last two weeks I have been "forced" (yes please pity me) to drive my FTYPE into the bowls of that DC metro meat grinder since my sons car has been in the shop for repairs from a careless driver who rear ended his 2011 Infiniti G37 IPL. Now I've taken long trips in my FTYPE and many short ones but commuting with it has never occurred till now. After two straight weeks, with a third week likely, I offer the following observations to those who ponder the question: Should I buy an FTYPE as a daily driver?

1. The car is so extremely well planted and sure footed that I've never felt like I had to be tentive in traffic.
2. It's handled high heat (100+) and crippling humidity quite well with the AC being extremely effective. Stopped using recirculation on the system as it would ramp up the humidity making the car feel warmer than it should
3. People on the roads have tended to defer and lay back from me quite a bit, part of that because being right behind an FTYPE is an open invitation to get pelted by road stones...but more from what is clearly a healthy respect it seems. Sure the occasional a-hole tries to play but I don't rise to the bait.
4. The radio really does suck in general but what the hell, who cares
5. It can get into almost any space, road or building I've needed to get into
6. I've seen at least two of our fellow felines on the road with polite waves all around.
7. It generates as always an astonishing amount of looks and compliments
8. I've actually discovered that I love the car even more.
9. Around town mileage has been around 20mpg

Bottom line: while I've had a few moments of anxious concern over others on the road and the occasional road debris slolom adventure, it's an extremely satisfying daily driver. If your on the fence I say go for it!

One ftype nut's opinion
The answer might depend on buying new versus used. No wait, "Pre-owned. The first buyer of my car paid more than 2x what I paid for the priveldge of driving 5,900 miles. As a certified car, I have more manufacturer warranty they he/she had new.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my F-Type and I fully intend to get my groceries in it. I have an old Tacoma for off-roading, and for the occasional major snow storm, but other than that you should be able to find me driving around Boulder all winter, hopefully with the top down. I'll be paying a pretty penny for winter tires, but otherwise I refuse to leave my beautiful car parked.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:18 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Depends

The
​​​​​​ driving is great, it's the parking that sucks since the only question is how often am I going to get dinged by the other car doors in the tight parking garage spaces.
​​​​​​I use it through the New England winter and in fact drive it everywhere except the daily commute, so not sure if it counts as a daily driver or not

Old 07-28-2018, 04:00 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Daily drive all the way...specifically the reason I was happy they made the AWD version. Have put on the snow tires for winter driving even and so sweet!

The following users liked this post:
jetsetter883 (08-06-2021)
Old 07-30-2018, 12:25 PM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AbyJag
The
​​​​​​ driving is great, it's the parking that sucks since the only question is how often am I going to get dinged by the other car doors in the tight parking garage spaces.
​​​​​​I use it through the New England winter and in fact drive it everywhere except the daily commute, so not sure if it counts as a daily driver or not
are you in the city? I saw an f type in traffic the other day when my girlfriend and I were pulling out of my building in the f type -- one of the only other ones I've seen in the city

Old 07-30-2018, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Just bought an F-Type a few days ago and think this car is a phenomenal DD.

jetsetter883 (09-26-2020)
Old 07-31-2018, 06:33 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Mine has been a daily driver since I bought it a year ago
I try to minimise car park risks by choosing parking spaces carefully, but to to be candid I would rather be driving it than driving some other vehicle.

jetsetter883 (09-26-2020)