F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Engine under warranty, 27k Miles V6S

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 02:09 PM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts
Default New Engine under warranty, 27k Miles V6S

Welp just got a call from my dealer, it was in for a P0420 code and failed muffler valve. They call me and told me they are replacing both cats and cat back, and oh ya... Putting in a new engine, not just a short block, but everything, a brand new motor. She wasn't able to go into detail and said a tech would call me back so I will keep this threat updated. Last month I got a camshaft code, brought it in and they said the car was 3QT low on oil and had no oil leak. They topped it off and said to come in 1500 miles, 700 miles later the CEL came on for the exhaust and I brought it in last Thursday. Not happy about being in a loaner, especially a 4 cyl F-pace, well at least its brand new, got it with 8 miles on it. I think its time to go german.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Congratulations on reaching the end of your saga. I think now, that you will finally going to have sorted F-type, getting into another car is a mistake.

Contact JLR and ask to extend warranty due to engine work. Ask your dealer if they are planning to use new crate engine or used engine, if they are planning to go with a used engine - put a stop to that and insist on a new crate engine.

Old 01-06-2020, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
Congratulations on reaching the end of your saga. I think now, that you will finally going to have sorted F-type, getting into another car is a mistake.

Contact JLR and ask to extend warranty due to engine work. Ask your dealer if they are planning to use new crate engine or used engine, if they are planning to go with a used engine - put a stop to that and insist on a new crate engine.
They told me it was a brand new crate motor from Jaguar. If I'm getting rid of the car it won't be by selling it, I'm still seeing if the dealership will buy it back for the falsified accident history along with the issues, in that case I'll probably own another F-type soon, either a manual or V8. I'm just said my experience was severely tainted on this car. partly my fault for the incidents I was involved in as the car hasn't really drove the same since. but regardless this will take time and I'll have plenty of time to enjoy my brand new engine. SinF, you seem like someone who knows a lot about these cars, do you have any suggestions or idea's as to what may have caused all these Failures, my guess is a faulty Engine management system.

The following users liked this post:
16fnrbrg (01-08-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I am by no means an expert, but your 6 exhaust replacements and recent low oil issue is likely a ring failure - oil gets pushed into combustion chamber and gets partially burned and partially dumped into exhaust. So it is single cause and you have a case that Jaguar failed to address this issue multiple times now.

I am 99% certain the issue is hardware-related and not any kind of control system. The only exception would be if your car has a tune, then it would be possible that it causes oil burning. Have you had a tuned car, I am certain a tune would have been brought up by now.

When enjoying your new engine - make sure to follow initial break-in procedures (i.e. take it easy for the first 1K).

When shopping for a manual transmission F-type, make sure it is 2017 or later or they have all the paperwork for getting original clutch replaced. I keep reading that dealership pushing hard "wear and tear item" BS on still-original first gen clutches failing.

Last edited by SinF; 01-06-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
I am by no means an expert, but your 6 exhaust replacements and recent low oil issue is likely a ring failure - oil gets pushed into combustion chamber and gets partially burned and partially dumped into exhaust. So it is single cause and you have a case that Jaguar failed to address this issue multiple times now.

I am 99% certain the issue is hardware-related and not any kind of control system. The only exception would be if your car has a tune, then it would be possible that it causes oil burning. Have you had a tuned car, I am certain a tune would have been brought up by now.

When enjoying your new engine - make sure to follow initial break-in procedures (i.e. take it easy for the first 1K).

When shopping for a manual transmission F-type, make sure it is 2017 or later or they have all the paperwork for getting original clutch replaced. I keep reading that dealership pushing hard "wear and tear item" BS on still-original first gen clutches failing.

thanks for the info, but just got word from my dealer its actually not a new crate motor but in fact a rebuilt used unit? I said I wanted a new engine put in, but they are saying thats its not up to them? do I fight this? do I have any recourse?

Old 01-07-2020, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by StormtrooperFtype
thanks for the info, but just got word from my dealer its actually not a new crate motor but in fact a rebuilt used unit? I said I wanted a new engine put in, but they are saying thats its not up to them? do I fight this? do I have any recourse?
The engine they will install will be a factory rebuilt engine. This is the normal procedure when an engine is replaced under warranty, the same is true for transmissions. Years ago the same went for starters & alternators. We only installed a new part if the car was undelivered. Once a car was in service rebuilt parts were used. I have never heard of a "used" engine ever being installed under factory warranty. You will have no recourse regarding a new engine.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
The engine they will install will be a factory rebuilt engine. This is the normal procedure when an engine is replaced under warranty, the same is true for transmissions. Years ago the same went for starters & alternators. We only installed a new part if the car was undelivered. Once a car was in service rebuilt parts were used. I have never heard of a "used" engine ever being installed under factory warranty. You will have no recourse regarding a new engine.
good to know, Just basing it off what SinF said. I don't care that much because Im most likely gonna have the car bough back fairly soon, at least hopefully.