Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to F-Type; newbie intro

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 04:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to F-Type; newbie intro

Hi all,
Very excited to be joining a group of what I will comfortably assume are very esteemed car enthusiasts. As a short intro, I'm a relatively newly minted medical doctor from eastern Canada. As a lifelong gearhead, I was between a 997.2 C4S, LC 500, and of course, our beloved F-Type. I'm expecting delivery of my 2017 F-Type R coupe in black (all red interior + carbon fibre blade wheels) in about one week. My car history is as follows, and as such, I haven't really had to learn about proper washing/detailing : 2001 PT Loser (amazingly somehow still got laid) --> 2015 Honda Civic Si coupe --> F-Type. I was hoping you all could shed some light on trusted resources regarding materials I should pick up for washing the car. Also, if you could recommend anything else upon receiving the car it would be much appreciated. Looking forward to getting to know you all better!

- Dustin, 34M
Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada

The following users liked this post:
powerhouse (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 05:09 PM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Welcome to the club! Enjoy the ride!

richled (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 05:17 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats on graduation ! I'm jealous of the beautiful Cabot trail you have nearby - would be fun to take this car out there!

I would check the following:
-looseness of mirrors (the whole passenger side fixture was for mine)
-looseness of lowermost plastic piece surrounding exhaust pipes
-the integrity of the trunk lining
-presence of tow hooks
-upper most part of front bumper relative to the lights and hook

Those were all areas that had minor issues with mine that I hope you can avoid or have the dealer resolve.
Have fun with your new car!

richled (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,292 Likes on 890 Posts

Gooday! Enjoy the car.

On the cleaning question we all have our favorite things but I cant help but recommend the following which has been a revelation for me:
1.Carpro polyshave block with the carpro lubricant (this is just an easy clay);
2. Polish angel - dark angel wax (I havent used the dark angel which is for black cars, I've used passion which is for red cars);
3. polish angel rapidwaxx (2 coats after the dark angel has set).

I did my car mid last year and it is only now losing the dust repelling characteristics and possibly needs another go. It is seriously the best stuff I've used in 35 years faffing about over cars.

richled (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 06:00 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Welcome aboard! Always good to have another Canadian on board.

I would recommend getting the car treated with Ceramic Pro. And get the rims coated in it too. It'll make cleaning/maintenance a breeze.

The following 2 users liked this post by bb_sam:
JacksonvilleJag (06-05-2020), richled (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,247 Likes on 1,361 Posts

[QUOTE=bb_sam;2243388]Welcome aboard! Always good to have another Canadian on board.
QUOTE]

First , I have to say that your romantic history in view of the fact that you owned a PT Cruiser is impressive. It speaks well of your personal qualities or perhaps physical attributes (interpret that as you will). And yes, the component of Canadians on this forum does seem to be growing.
With the F-Type you have leapt into a different automotive sphere entirely - you will love this car - and speaking from personal experience, I can tell you that with a first Jaguar you are at the top of a very slippery slope. Jaguars rapidly become an addiction - and it is a disease for which no cure is wanted!
Regarding car care products suitable for the Jaguar, people have their favourites but I have owned many Jags (see above) and of all the products I have used, two stand out: first, anything and everything for car care made by the British firm AutoGlym. Their Leather Balm is particularly good, but everything they produce is of premium quality - and best of all, the entire line is carried by Canadian Tire (!). Second, a wax which produces a concours quality finish of amazing brilliance and depth, especially on dark colours: Victoria Wax, which is made here on Vancouver Island. Nothing like it, and I have tried almost everything.
Waxing the wheels makes removal of brake dust very easy...the F-Type is going to release your inner hooligan so watch your speed. The RCMP already know that if the rear spoiler is raised, you have likely been exceeding the speed limit!

Last edited by sov211; 06-05-2020 at 09:03 AM.
richled (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

While I am glad to hear you are doing well enough to buy F-type, you skipped a few steps on the way here that may create issues... so I will be blunt in explaining these.

First, and most importantly, unlike you Civic, Jaguar F-type can easily kill you if go nuts. This is not because Civic is a good car and F-type is a bad car, but because you switching from a 4-cyl front wheel drive car to a V8 supercharged monster. Imagine your Civic gas pedal just got 90 degrees more of travel past where you floored it. Because F-type is A LOT more capable, it is A LOT more volatile when misused. Additionally, things just start behaving differently at such power levels and speeds it is capable of.

Second, you will get noticed. Having Civic, you always blend in. With F-type, no matter where you go - it will be a statement. This attention can be both positive and negative. Still, be aware that you ought not to park your F-type just anywhere if you expect to be there unaltered (or at all) when you get back.

Third, costs. Nobody expect Civic driver to be able to pay thousands. So mechanics, honest or otherwise, would automatically give you low prices. With F-type, if you hit dishonest mechanic - expect to be taken for a ride. This is also true for a dealer for out of warranty work - they will be the first ones to take you for a ride. It is absolutely crucial to find reliable and honest independent mechanic to contain the costs of ownership.

Forth, you are no longer drive a grocery getter. If wheels are falling off your Civic, well who cares. If wheels are falling off your Jaguar - well, why do you even have one? You need to maintain it a) mechanically b) cosmetically. a) means you need to go above and beyond on maintenance b) means that you ought not to learn how to use buffer on this car.

Good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by SinF:
Mahjik (06-06-2020), richled (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the new ride! Sounds wonderful. I have a 17 SVR with the all red interior / I was a bit hesitant whether it would be too much but I love it!!

If you have standard oem pads consider getting ceramics (EBC redstuff, portersfield R4S) as they will generate much less dust...

Agree on ceramic pro to protect surfaces and make it much easier to clean

Ear plugs (for your neighbors) when you start the engine...

richled (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by bb_sam
Welcome aboard! Always good to have another Canadian on board.

I would recommend getting the car treated with Ceramic Pro. And get the rims coated in it too. It'll make cleaning/maintenance a breeze.
+1. As a doc, you don’t need to waste your time detailing. Wrap the front of the car and rockers with film (xPel) to prevent rock chips, and have the car coated with Ceramic Pro to protect the finish from UV and swirls . I only do a real wash about once per year. As needed the car gets rinsed and I hit it with a good spray detailer (Prep ‘n’ Polish) whenever it needs to be shined up to look like new. As I also had a paint correction done when new, the finish still looks better than new after 5 years.

Last edited by Unhingd; 06-05-2020 at 02:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
JacksonvilleJag (06-05-2020), richled (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 04:54 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,107 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Welcome! I plan to drive my car up to Cabot Links sometime - only been to NS once but loved it. Enjoy the car.

richled (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 05:09 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. As a doc, you don’t need to waste your time detailing. Wrap the front of the car and rockers with film (xPel) to prevent rock chips, and have the car coated with Ceramic Pro to protect the finish from UV and swirls . I only do a real wash about once per year. As needed the car gets rinsed and I hit it with a good spray retailer (Prep ‘n’ Polish) whenever it needs to be shined up to look like new. As I also had a paint correction done when new, the finish still looks better than new after 5 years.
This. I've never had it done until our first F Pace. Now it goes on them all with the exception of my daughter's Kia Soul. The first time we got a 5 year warranty level application. Now we got a lifetime warranty level that transfers with the car and is entered on the Carfax. I think the important part is finding a reputable shop who knows what they're doing not just with applying the ceramic coating, but with the paint correction as well. We had 17 miles on the F Pace SVR and he pointed out how many swirl marks were all over the car already. Our shop used Ceramic Pro also.

richled (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 04:24 PM

Hey SinF,
Thanks so much for your comprehensive reply. I realize it's going to be a social adjustment for sure. Living in Sydney, NS where there literally isn't another Jaguar within a 400km radius, and where a 10 year old Mustang GT stands out, I struggle with driving the car to work and keeping it parked there all day. I want to use the car as much as possible though have to weigh that want with the fact that it might send an uintentional message (I'm not a showy guy, just a guy who likes fast, good cars). I plan on getting all my fluids changed when I receive my F-Type. Can I trust a run of the mill mechanic to do this?

Thanks again,
Dustin

Old 06-05-2020, 04:34 PM

DJS,
We'll have to get a round or two in

Old 06-05-2020, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by richled
Can I trust a run of the mill mechanic to do this?
There is nothing unique about maintaining Jaguars, but your run of the mill mechanic is not that competent. I wouldn't take your Jaguar to Canadian Tire and expect good outcomes.

I suggest finding which mechanic races (any type, rally, offroad, track, drag racing) and go with that - at the very least they appreciate cars and would not intentionally harm your car.

Side advice - consider using your profession as a shield. Get a personalized plate with "doc" or "doctor" in it. People less likely to vandalize a car driven by a doctor than any other profession. Also consider leaving a stethoscope or something equally iconic visible in a passenger seat.

---

Sorry to say this, I have been to Sydney, NS and you probably will have a lot less grief if you buy Mustang GT350 instead. I have a friend in Truro that I road trip to see every other year or so... and I wouldn't drive my Jag there. Not because NS people are bad, quite the opposite, but because how much Jag would stand out. It would be undeniably flaunting my wealth even in good times.

Last edited by SinF; 06-05-2020 at 08:03 PM.
richled (06-05-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 08:11 AM

She finally made it!

The following 3 users liked this post by richled:
BruceTheQuail (06-20-2020), Mahjik (06-20-2020), SinF (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 09:38 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Very nice, congrats and enjoy

Old 06-20-2020, 12:43 PM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

There it is! Nice, and congratulations.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:02 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by richled
Hi all,
Very excited to be joining a group of what I will comfortably assume are very esteemed car enthusiasts. As a short intro, I'm a relatively newly minted medical doctor from eastern Canada. As a lifelong gearhead, I was between a 997.2 C4S, LC 500, and of course, our beloved F-Type. I'm expecting delivery of my 2017 F-Type R coupe in black (all red interior + carbon fibre blade wheels) in about one week. My car history is as follows, and as such, I haven't really had to learn about proper washing/detailing : 2001 PT Loser (amazingly somehow still got laid) --> 2015 Honda Civic Si coupe --> F-Type. I was hoping you all could shed some light on trusted resources regarding materials I should pick up for washing the car. Also, if you could recommend anything else upon receiving the car it would be much appreciated. Looking forward to getting to know you all better!

- Dustin, 34M
Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada
welcome on board you are in a lovely part of the world. Been over to the east cost a few times. Few year back did the drive from Toronto to Halifax via PEI over 3 weeks.
Want to know what products to use to keep your car clean watch your fellow Canadian Pan 😁
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE0...jfP2982jVH6WkQ

Last edited by Phil Edwards; 06-20-2020 at 02:59 PM.
richled (06-21-2020)