Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 04:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New F-Type

Hello!

I picked up a new 2015 F-Type Base Coupe last Thursday. Good overall experience purchasing the car, and great experience with the machine so far. I'm not entirely sure, but I suspect my automotive history is a little odd.

My first car was a used 1986 3.8 V6 Mustang LX - it was garbage. While it claimed 175hp, the thing was just a dog. It came to me from my sister-in-law. I was, I believe, 16 at the time.

I followed it up with a new 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. The engine was the same displacement, but the car was outright better. More fun to drive with better suspension, more features, and actual room in the back seat. I'm a firm believer that if you're going to have a back seat, it best fit people in it!

Around 2006, I picked up a new Kawasaki Z750S motorcycle and went motorcycle-only for a few years. It was my first bike, and really was a bad plan for a first bike - I'm a relatively calm driver, so I lived and only managed a single accident (because someone pulled in front of me and I locked up the front wheel, not because I was getting a bit happy with the throttle in the twisties)

2011 led to a new commute, and while the bike was fine driving 15-20 minutes in the rain (California), riding for 30 minutes in a downpour was kind of miserable. I kept the bike, but picked up a tiny new Ford Fiesta - functional backseats, storage, and it was super light. The 120hp motor is... lackluster, but the light weight meant I could throw it around plenty.

At the end of 2013 I sold my Z750S and traded up to a new Kawasaki Concours-14 - a dream bike. It got rid of some of the need for a car like the Fiesta, and it's a 150hp beast of a machine. A power to weight of 0.21, storage, a big windshield, etc... If it weren't in the shop with a blown transmission I'd be having a hard time picking between that and the Jag for day-to-day.

When the bike went into the shop, I realized I was bored of the Fiesta - it's a good little car, but it's not fun to drive. Without the bike, I wanted more fun, so I started looking around at coupes. I tried out the 370Z, Lexus' RC (too small), the Corvette (uncomfortable and unrefined), tried to get a look at the Genesis (Sir not actually appearing in this story), and finally checked out the Jag. I figured after getting in the 370Z that it would end up being the car. On paper it looked similar to the Jag, but with less torque and fewer luxury features for half the price.

Then I sat in the F-Type and my world was blown. Sure, it's twice the cost of the Z, but everything about it was better from minute one. The door handles, while a little gimmicky at first glance, were neat. Sitting in the driver's seat was quickly comfortable, easy to adjust, and I just fit without having to fuss too much about how I sat. The steering wheel was pleasant to feel, and the leather was actually comfortable.

Then the salesman pushed the power button and the exhaust roared to life, starting in with that high idle and the sound that the 370 couldn't hope to compete with. He told me to push the pedal and it crackled and roared, then let off and it dropped to a nice purr. A second look at the specs revealed some of the characteristics I'd missed on my first pass, and my view of the 370Z changed drastically. It was still on the table, just due to the price, but it wasn't my top choice like I expected it would be.

After bringing my wife to check out the two cars, *she* chose the Jag too - despite the price tag (and she's the reasonable one!) It was, in every way, more comfortable for her than the 370Z was. After that, she tells me I wouldn't shut up about the car (I didn't think I was that incessant.) Finally, two weeks ago, I got the go-ahead "Just get it already - I'm tired of hearing about it"... so I drove down to my local shop and expected I wouldn't get exactly what I wanted, but I gave the list anyway. They came back with what I wanted and for the price I desired. Well, that was a win... the catch was I'd have to wait for it to be trucked in.

It arrived on Thursday and I haven't put it away since. So far I can't find anything to fault, really. The ride's a little stiff, but it's far more fun thanks to good suspension. It's got a beautiful sound, and some serious soul. The British Racing Green (which is really just a nice green with a tintcoat) looks great but rarely photos well (it usually just looks black), and it's a wonderful beast to drive despite having "only" 340hp.

So here I am saying "hi." I'll probably lurk as much/more than I'll post, but I'm happy to be here, and happy to say that the F-Type is mine. What brings me joy isn't as much that it's a Jag, as that it's gorgeous, and that it will be a blast to drive for the next - oh, let's say decade or two.

Also, if you haven't already caught on, I talk/type a lot. Sorry about that.

Last edited by alikkon; 07-02-2015 at 04:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by alikkon:
Foosh (07-02-2015), Mulmur (07-02-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts
Thumbs up

Congrats and welcome to the club...

Old 07-02-2015, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Congrats! Thanks for sharing the nice story.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:29 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats and welcome! I just got mine recently as well and I can't stop staring at it.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by McGriddle
I can't stop staring at it.
There's certainly that. Every time I go outside, whether it's to take the F-Type, the Infiniti (wife's car), or even just to walk or bike, I spend a few moments (probably a few too many) staring at my car. It's hard to look away from!

Thanks for the welcomes

Last edited by alikkon; 07-02-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Congrats, welcome to the club! Hope to see you at our next Bay Area drive/lunch/gathering.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Welcome to the board! About time you got here!

I've been pushing to get alikkon on here for a while now.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:41 AM
Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. I like the 370Z too but nothing is quiet like the F type. Enjoy it!

Old 07-03-2015, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by strippersteel
Congrats on the new ride. I like the 370Z too but nothing is quiet like the F type. Enjoy it!
I definitely think something is wrong with your F-Type... Mine is certainly not quiet...

Maybe there's nothing quite like an F-Type... (especially a quiet one)

Old 07-03-2015, 02:05 PM

TXJagR you caught me lol. My excuse for my misspell is it was late when I posted it lol.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by strippersteel
TXJagR you caught me lol. My excuse for my misspell is it was late when I posted it lol.
I just HAD to do it... Wasn't trying to be an ****.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:29 PM

No worries....hell I laugh at myself sometimes.