F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New F type- Active Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 05:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New F type- Active Exhaust question

I have just purchased a Brand New F Type, 340 V6 Model and seriously excited- picking it up next week.

Just a quick query as I am reading lots of conflicting things over different sites and forums.

My car has the active exhaust but not the switchable. Consequently I am a bit gutted.

1)Can the switch be retroffited? I am almost certain thats a no
2)Will I get the same cracks and pops as the switchable exhaust at high revs as the switchable or is there actually a bigger difference?
3)Does putting the car in dynamic put the active exhaust on regardless of revs/speed. I didnt think so but have read somewhere that dynamic WILL kick the active exhaust in.
4)I have read something about pulling a fuse to kick in the active exhaust? Does that work and are there any negative consequences to this? I would never drive without the switchable on so I am happy for it to always be louder.

If anyone can please help that would be great.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by ak23
I have just purchased a Brand New F Type, 340 V6 Model and seriously excited- picking it up next week.

Just a quick query as I am reading lots of conflicting things over different sites and forums.

My car has the active exhaust but not the switchable. Consequently I am a bit gutted.

2)Will I get the same cracks and pops as the switchable exhaust at high revs as the switchable or is there actually a bigger difference?
3)Does putting the car in dynamic put the active exhaust on regardless of revs/speed. I didnt think so but have read somewhere that dynamic WILL kick the active exhaust in.
4)I have read something about pulling a fuse to kick in the active exhaust? Does that work and are there any negative consequences to this? I would never drive without the switchable on so I am happy for it to always be louder.

If anyone can please help that would be great.
1. Probably not, but Velocity AP can provide you with a remote control system that will manually activate the muffler valves.
2. There will be no difference over 4000rpm, but probably would be under 4000rpm where the unswitched version automatically closes the valves in standard mode.
3. On the 6 speed version, yes.
4. Others who have done it would need to answer.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:39 AM
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

3) On all 2018MY - yes

NOTES
The active exhaust feature is switched on automatically if the vehicle is being driven in dynamic mode. See DYNAMIC.

http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/docu.../proc/G1888472

About to place an order so was looking into exactly the same thing myself.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the 2018 F-Type S with active exhaust but without the activation button the exhaust does not switch on in Dynamic mode.
Tried the fuse 15 in the motor compartment, the valves stay open and the sound is louder, this without pops and rattles so I suppose that the software needs a signal from the electronica exhaust unit in order to inject fuel in the exhaust to create the pops.
Asked in the meantime my Dealer if the button can be retrofitted and the answer was yes.
He did a retrofit of a full active exhaust with the button on a 340 base with standard exhaust and the software adapted itself.
For my F-type S he will charge the two buttons approximately 120€ + work.
On 2014 F's the buttons were plug and play.
All good news

Old 09-01-2017, 04:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have the 2017 or the 2018 model?

Everything I've read online suggests the 2017 base model does not have the active exhaust mechanisms in place unless you have the button. Maybe I should pull that fuse and see what happens....

Old 09-01-2017, 04:38 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

My 2017 base does not have the active exhaust button or the active exhaust installed. I checked by looking under the for the solenoids that open and close the valves and they are not there. I do have the fuse though oddly enough.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by speedski
My 2017 base does not have the active exhaust button or the active exhaust installed. I checked by looking under the for the solenoids that open and close the valves and they are not there. I do have the fuse though oddly enough.
What do the solenoids look like?

Old 09-01-2017, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bigdaddy
What do the solenoids look like?
They look like cans of cat food mounted to the each side of the pipes just in front of the rear muffler. (and they aren't solenoids, they are vacuum actuators). The single solenoid that controls they vacuum will just look like a black box with 2 vacuum hose and an electrical connection. That'll be tucked away where it is difficult to see.

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-01-2017 at 07:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bigdaddy (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
They look like cans of cat food mounted to the each side of the pipes just in front of the rear muffler. (and they aren't solenoids, they are vacuum actuators). The single solenoid that controls they vacuum will just look like a black box with 2 vacuum hose and an electrical connection. That'll be tucked away where it is difficult to see.
Ah thanks, I took a quick look and I didn't really see anything mounted to the pipes.

btw, When are you planning on going to cars & coffee again?

Old 09-02-2017, 02:34 AM

Do you have the 2017 or the 2018 model?

Everything I've read online suggests the 2017 base model does not have the active exhaust mechanisms in place unless you have the button. Maybe I should pull that fuse and see what happens....
Hello Bigdaddy,
I drive an F-type S with the active exhaust.
The kit that I talked about is for a standard 340 and can be found here;
https://www.jaguar-shop.com/epages/6...ucts/T2R14178U
Cheers

The following users liked this post:
bigdaddy (09-05-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 02:44 AM

As I already wrote I'm thinking a août changing the after Cat section on my F-type S. I still there any chance that the V8 center OEM exhaust section will fit plug and play in between the stock Cat and the Backbox?
Anyone tried or has experience in this?
Cheers

Old 09-02-2017, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member

Ah thanks, I took a quick look and I didn't really see anything mounted to the pipes.

btw, When are you planning on going to cars & coffee again?
Not this morning for certain with the remnants of Harvey affecting us (it's too late anyway). Let's play it by ear. Maybe next Saturday.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:23 AM
AbF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the F type S MY16 with active exhaust but without the button.. when in dynamic is evident the difference but I tried to remove the fuse as suggested and it doenst do anything..

Im planning to buy an exhaust from the VelocityAP but I would like to have the button anyway so Ill check with my dealer if they can do it.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:24 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by AbF
I have the F type S MY16 with active exhaust but without the button.. when in dynamic is evident the difference but I tried to remove the fuse as suggested and it doenst do anything..

Im planning to buy an exhaust from the VelocityAP but I would like to have the button anyway so Ill check with my dealer if they can do it.
Which fuse did you remove?

Old 09-03-2017, 08:30 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ak23

Hi BD. I also have a base V6 340 but the 2015 year model. This doesn't have active exhaust, but it still cracks and pops and makes a wonderful noise.

I've been so happy I've ordered another one. This time it's a 2018 model year. The 2018 340ps comes with active exhaust as standard. The button to turn it off and on is optional (which I have ordered too). Not sure whether you've got a 2017 or 2018 model year?

Old 09-05-2017, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by wilky
Hi BD. I also have a base V6 340 but the 2015 year model. This doesn't have active exhaust, but it still cracks and pops and makes a wonderful noise.

I've been so happy I've ordered another one. This time it's a 2018 model year. The 2018 340ps comes with active exhaust as standard. The button to turn it off and on is optional (which I have ordered too). Not sure whether you've got a 2017 or 2018 model year?
Living the dream.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:52 AM

Hello,
Just back from the local dealer, will enter my 2018 F-type S and have the center exhaust section replaced by the X pipe center section of the F-type R this by keeping the V6 end damper.
As I don't have the active exhaust switch I also claimed for a retrofit.
Will keep you posted on my experience.
Cheers

Old 09-06-2017, 11:43 AM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by MrRay
Hello,
Just back from the local dealer, will enter my 2018 F-type S and have the center exhaust section replaced by the X pipe center section of the F-type R this by keeping the V6 end damper.
As I don't have the active exhaust switch I also claimed for a retrofit.
Will keep you posted on my experience.
Cheers
Are you having the dealer install the R X-pipe?

Old 09-06-2017, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by FR500GT
Are you having the dealer install the R X-pipe?
Yes, at the end of this month

Old 09-07-2017, 12:02 AM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by MrRay
Yes, at the end of this month
Be sure to take pictures from underneath the car of the X pipe installed!