F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New F-type grille on older cars retrofit (instead of P7)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 09:27 AM
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Default New F-type grille on older cars retrofit (instead of P7)

I am just wondering... Would the grille from new F-types (2021+) fit older cars? That would be a gread mod instead of hassling with P7 grille, since the 2021+ not only has no bar, but has fitments for parking sensors and licence number plate (front plates mandatory in many places).
Sooo.... would it fit, is it the same dimensions? On pictures it seems so, but I am not sure of course.

Last edited by J444G; 10-05-2021 at 09:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by J444G:
mrjohnt (10-05-2021), U2vertigo1 (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 10:12 AM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks like a different shape to me based off the new headlights. I hope I’m wrong as that would be an ideal replacement. Hope someone has a real answer.

Old 10-05-2021, 11:10 AM
Received 57 Likes on 18 Posts

it's a different shape altogether, won't fit.

if you were trying to do it on the cheap you could just use the stock surround, cut off the little tabs where the bar meets the surround, patch up the holes w/ a fiberglass repair kit, and paint/wrap.

Then you can decide whether to spend $$$ on an oem grill to go behind it, or do an ebay style universal wire mesh.

My daily driver has an oem p7 grill cause ultimately that's gonna be the best looking option, but if I were to get another one and build a track version I'd for sure do it the way I described above.

Old 10-05-2021, 11:12 AM

Well, what a shame then. My goal was to have licence plate holder here and sensors bracelets. I can probably 3D print both for P7, but you know, it is a hassle.

Old 10-05-2021, 11:14 AM
Received 57 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by J444G
Well, what a shame then. My goal was to have licence plate holder here and sensors bracelets. I can probably 3D print both for P7, but you know, it is a hassle.
yeah makes sense. my '18 has the sensors in the outer grills so that helps compared to the >'17 models but a license plate holder is pretty much off the table unless it's custom.

Old 10-05-2021, 02:46 PM
Received 395 Likes on 177 Posts

Or you can do like another member did and purchase one of those Ebay Carbon FIber Grill surrounds with the cheap mesh, get rid of the cheap mesh and replaced with an E-Pace grill from partsgeek and you have a make shift P7 grill for around $400.

Old 10-05-2021, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 319 Posts

Just get a P7 grille

The following users liked this post:
schuss (06-23-2024)
Old 10-05-2021, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Just get a P7 grille
Much easier said than done. All the supplies of real P7 grills have completely dried up.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:52 PM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by airthirtytwo
it's a different shape altogether, won't fit.

if you were trying to do it on the cheap you could just use the stock surround, cut off the little tabs where the bar meets the surround, patch up the holes w/ a fiberglass repair kit, and paint/wrap.

Then you can decide whether to spend $$$ on an oem grill to go behind it, or do an ebay style universal wire mesh.

My daily driver has an oem p7 grill cause ultimately that's gonna be the best looking option, but if I were to get another one and build a track version I'd for sure do it the way I described above.
I hate that bar, is there grill behind that, or would there be an empty space behind it? I don't have front parking sensor option, so do you know if any other sensors are housed in that stupid bar?

Old 10-05-2021, 07:59 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 19FRG
I hate that bar, is there grill behind that, or would there be an empty space behind it? I don't have front parking sensor option, so do you know if any other sensors are housed in that stupid bar?
Pre-facelift grilles are in two pieces with the bar bridging the gap between them. To answer directly, there's empty space behind it and you can't just take out the bar. Well, you could, but there would be a huge gaping hole there. There's no other sensors in the bar, but there is a slot for the tow hook. A grille swap to a P7, China Grille (Ebay/aliexpress), Paramount, or the other company that I can't quite remember would be a fairly straight forward process for you since you don't need any extra fiddly bits.

19FRG (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by 19FRG
If it were as simple as just removing the bar, you wouldn't see many of them left on F-Types. There are several challenges with trying to simply eliminate the bar. First, It's a two piece grill with a big ol' gap where the bar is. Next, the surround has large notches for the bar, so even if you can find a grill to cover the whole space, the surround would need extensive work to fill in the gaps. People have done it, but it's not a simple project.

The P7 grills are hard to come by. You had to use a P7 Vin to get one and the supplies dried up. Paramount makes a surround/grill kit, but it's at best in need of finishing work. Other options have been mentioned in this thread.

Finally, with the P-7 grill, you can no longer use the tow hook unless you get real creative. There have been a few options tried out there, too.

19FRG (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by eeeeek
If it were as simple as just removing the bar, you wouldn't see many of them left on F-Types. There are several challenges with trying to simply eliminate the bar. First, It's a two piece grill with a big ol' gap where the bar is. Next, the surround has large notches for the bar, so even if you can find a grill to cover the whole space, the surround would need extensive work to fill in the gaps. People have done it, but it's not a simple project.

The P7 grills are hard to come by. You had to use a P7 Vin to get one and the supplies dried up. Paramount makes a surround/grill kit, but it's at best in need of finishing work. Other options have been mentioned in this thread.

Finally, with the P-7 grill, you can no longer use the tow hook unless you get real creative. There have been a few options tried out there, too.
Thanks. The curse of having a rarer car. 😆

Old 10-05-2021, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Whalesmash
Pre-facelift grilles are in two pieces with the bar bridging the gap between them. To answer directly, there's empty space behind it and you can't just take out the bar. Well, you could, but there would be a huge gaping hole there. There's no other sensors in the bar, but there is a slot for the tow hook. A grille swap to a P7, China Grille (Ebay/aliexpress), Paramount, or the other company that I can't quite remember would be a fairly straight forward process for you since you don't need any extra fiddly bits.
Drats. Thanks.

Old 10-05-2021, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Use the sto n sho bracket to mount front plate. Not sure if it works with Euro plates.

Old 10-06-2021, 09:35 AM

Aaaaah, another PITA!

Old 10-07-2021, 03:19 PM
Received 246 Likes on 130 Posts

What? No tow hook….Mon Dieu

Old 10-07-2021, 04:53 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by skizot
Or you can do like another member did and purchase one of those Ebay Carbon FIber Grill surrounds with the cheap mesh, get rid of the cheap mesh and replaced with an E-Pace grill from partsgeek and you have a make shift P7 grill for around $400.
Sounds like a fun project.
I found the CF surround - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...e&_sacat=33645
Anyone have info on the E-Pace grille mesh that was used?

Old 10-07-2021, 07:37 PM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by skizot
For the record, the other member used a P7 grille, not an e-pace grille. I also have the factory surround but preferred the carbon to match my other trim. And yes, it’s a viable option, but be ready to spend the n essay time fitting it.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:41 AM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gg2684
For the record, the other member used a P7 grille, not an e-pace grille. I also have the factory surround but preferred the carbon to match my other trim. And yes, it’s a viable option, but be ready to spend the n essay time fitting it.
I believe Skizot was referring to me, as I have the Epace (JA1200108) grille paired with the Ebay surround.

Back to the OPs question. NO the new Ftype Grille wont fit. It does have the sensor holders built in which is great, but the emblem is too high up on the grille which causes you to either cut off the sensors or the emblem. SO if anyone has a 21 Ftype grille, hit me up I have one I dont need

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagauf:
CB1973 (11-07-2021), J444G (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 09:15 AM

Is any of these grilles can be ordered with an EURO number plate holder, or is that must be custom manufactured too? Perhaps the P7 if sold in Europe should have it as an option?

Quick Reply: New F-type grille on older cars retrofit (instead of P7)