F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New F Type Member/Thanks to my Dad

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 10:51 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default New F Type Member/Thanks to my Dad

I'm not sure exactly how I want to write this, only that I hope what my intent is can be expressed appropriately without significantly offending anyone. I also know for me this car purchase was not an easy one, so for others struggling with similar issues I hope it helps.

I have been browsing this forum for greater than three years with the goal of eventually owning an F Type Coupe. I still remember 2006 and seeing the XK, it was my first 'I want this car' moment with a Jaguar.

I grew up in a fiscally conservative household, it imprinted itself on me as I have difficulty spending money(my wife has helped remedy this). My father retired at 59, but still worked a day or two a week out of enjoyment. 10/16/2015, 2 days after turning 63 he got diagnosed with Stage IV Pancreatic Cancer. He passed away 11/30/2016. He never got to enjoy the financial rewards of his hard work. His own father passed away in his 30s. I'm afraid a similar fate might happen to me.

I'm almost 38, wife is 33, 2 year old daughter and now a 2 week old daughter come this Monday. Financially we've lived a boglehead approved lifestyle up until this moment(Retirement, 529s, etc, etc). I was lucky my parents got me through higher education without any debt. That's something I never take for granted as it allowed me to get a jumpstart on my own life. Despite being in what I considered a nice place financially, I still started to doubt myself when considering this purchase. If I didn't purchase this car; Could I retire earlier? Could I leave my kids more money? Could I spend it on more appropriate things? My Dad would think this purchase is stupid. He was never a car guy. His last car was a 2009 Cadillac CTS that he bought during the financial crisis. I bought it off him 1/16, with 70,000 miles on it, I currently have 110,000. I plan to drive the Caddy until it can no longer be repaired(this idea drives my Mom bonkers). I love that car.

I think a lot of my problems stem from trying to make this purchase a logical one. During a documentary on hypercars called 'Apex', Horacio Pagani stated that purchase of his cars is not a rational act. He points out that in fact it is a completely irrational act, but that his client acts strictly on an emotional level. Since I watched that scene, and began to stop trying to completely rationalize this purchase it has made this entire process easier.

I have zero regrets at this moment. Driving it home today(following break in period rules) I had the biggest smile on my face. Even more important, I didn't have a single worry or stress in my head. I can't remember the last time I felt that way. I remember worrying about if a baseball card trade was the right move as a kid, so it would be before that, 25+ years? That feeling alone makes the car worth every cent. I hope despite his opinion of the F Type purchase my Dad smiles at my smile when I drive it. If he isn't, well as the Lost episode title says 'all the best cowboys have daddy issues.' My Mom saw pictures of the car and heard a video of the exhaust, she texted back 'awesome' and for a lady who hates to text I think she is impressed.

I wouldn't be in this position right now, enjoying this feeling right now without everything he and my Mom did for me in terms of raising me, education, etc, etc. So thanks to both of them. Love ya both.

Sorry for the rambling message. I could write more, post a lot more pictures, and edit this even more, but my wife with the newborn isn't pleased that I'm taking time to 'talk to my internet friends.' If any part came off as offensive I apologize in advance.

I've PM'd people over the past few years, they always had great advice and I just wanted to say thank you.

Unhingd
RickyJay52
mikelanzetta
IRRBrogue
Foosh

Car Info:
Deposit: 2/26/18
Expected Build: 4/20/18 Actual Build 4/19/18
Expected Delivery 5/4/18.
Port Arrival: 5/12/18 followed by a port hold.
Dealer Arrival: 6/21/18
Took ownership: 6/23/18 drove 0.9 miles, 25 mph in a 35 mph to the detailer getting passed by a lot of cars.
Drove Home: 6/30/18

MY19 F Type R Coupe. BRG. Sienna Tan/Ebony Interior. Climate Package 2. HomeLink. 20" Wheels, 6003, Dark Grey Diamond. Auto High Beam Assist. Illuminated Treadplates. Powered Tailgate. Front Parking Aid. Blind Spot Assist.
Post Purchase: XPel Ultimate full hood, front bumper, fenders, headlights, mirrors, and rockers. Ceramic coating for the entire car.

If anyone has questions on choices regarding options for the car, etc, feel free to PM or post.

Game was May 14th 2015, Cardinals beat the Indians 2-1.

Last edited by Pie944; 07-01-2018 at 07:45 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Pie944:
death1ord (07-04-2018), Mbourne (07-01-2018), Tork Monster (07-02-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 10:59 PM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

Congrats!!

Old 06-30-2018, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

Great looking F-Type. Just go out and enjoy it. that's what it is all about.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Congratulations on your acquisition, and enjoy! Your father would not begrudge you the happiness you will get from it.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:40 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on realizing what has essentially been a dream the past few years. Collector cars and modern sports cars are NEVER rational purchases. Non car people will never understand. Don't worry about the "extravagant" expenditure; enjoy the fruits of your labor as you can't take the money with you. As you pointed out in your post, life is short and I'm a big believer in enjoying it everyday because you never know which day may be your last.

More pics please!

Old 07-01-2018, 08:45 AM
Received 82 Likes on 35 Posts

Beautiful car and the backstory makes it more so. It sounds like you are at a great place in your life. Don't feel guilty for treating yourself now and then. Congratulations!!!

Old 07-01-2018, 10:18 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome car, congrats!

As a Dad, I can say nothing beats seeing my son have fun, so trust me, your Dad is smiling every time you start that engine! Now, I would rather my son enjoy working on his SAT, but that's a whole different story!

Originally Posted by Pie944
I hope despite his opinion of the F Type purchase my Dad smiles at my smile when I drive it. If he isn't, well as the Lost episode title says 'all the best cowboys have daddy issues.' My Mom saw pictures of the car and heard a video of the exhaust, she texted back 'awesome' and for a lady who hates to text I think she is impressed.

I wouldn't be in this position right now, enjoying this feeling right now without everything he and my Mom did for me in terms of raising me, education, etc, etc. So thanks to both of them. Love ya both.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:26 PM
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Congrats, Pie944! Understand your emotions exactly, as it has also taken me three years to pull the trigger, not because I could not afford it but because the idea of spending so much on a car just did not sit well with me. Eventually, my wife convinced me to go ahead with the same argument: it is totally irrational, but boy, is it going to feel good. The car has been built, and it is now waiting in the UK for its engine to be certified... hopefully, it will be shipped and delivered ahead of tariffs on car imports!

Last edited by Brock; 07-01-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:18 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts
Default added more verbose stuff

First of all, congrats and welcome to the forum. Nicely spec’d car!

Yes, there is always that conundrum of how long we are going to live, our quality of life, what we have, and how much to leave to others, if any. This is difficult to forecast. For a single person, it’s easy: Estate goal = 0 at end of life; i.e. he who dies with no toys at the end wins. Sorry for being morbid.

My parents, too, gave me a jump start but we also have to give ourselves credit for parlaying it into what we have today.

As modest as we were, my father in his later years would say (roughly translated) “it is most important that it pleases you." As a child, it was “Jaguar this, Jaguar that, Jaguar this, Jaguar that...... ad nauseum.” So I like to think in my case, my father dropped that red convertible on me from the sky. Never thought I’d be able to get one, but somehow managed.

But back to you - thanks for sharing and look forward to more pics.

ps: got the ceramic coating, right?
pps: what’s that Focus ST doing in the background?

Moderator, could you please remove the heading. It was put there in error. Thanks!

Last edited by Jagged Wire; 07-01-2018 at 09:31 PM. Reason: added more verbose stuff
Old 07-01-2018, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

What a wonderful story and a fitting tribute to the values your parents helped instil coupled with the understanding that passion, while not on a the surface rational, has a rationality all its own. I wrestled with many of the same doubts and the feeling that this can't possibly make sense, but how could I not do it. It's in the end for me, and it seems for you to be "right" thing. You will cherish it all the more. The car evokes so much childhood joy and I can't explain why except that it's British and that just seems to mean "soul". Your "soul" is rejoicing and that makes all the sense in the world.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:12 PM
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice going Pie 944, and the responses to date also confirm that. Not only your backstory, but the vehicle you designed. Perhaps, just perhaps, you might keep the R until it becomes a valued classic. Your Dad would really appreciate that! You'll certainly enjoy it with that grin each time in the interim. My first drop head Jaguar was the first-year E type. Now as I monitor their sales prices, I'm guessing mine would have been worth $3-500,000. Now in my Back Nine era of life the F is a deserved blast and treat! BTWay savor each moment of your children's lives, they go by very fast!

Old 07-02-2018, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

@Pie944.
I recognise your line of thinking , my parents are comparable type of people, but my dad is still alive, now 77yrs.. I took him for a spin two weeks ago and he's kind of the opposite thinking as what the FT is.. He worked and didn't spend money,
didn't need to as he was raised after the war with next to nothing under poor conditions. My childhood was the same : parents didn't like to spend, only for holidays.. .. now I had to think really hard befor buying my FT, and I've been thinking of
a Jaguar coupé since 1977... .. so it took me 40 yrs to decide and get one !!! But you only live onces, and you never know when or where it ends. You provide well for your family, and that is more then many people can claim. So don't worry of
treating yourself to a toy, a reward for your efforts...

My FT will change hands in 7 years, when my son is 25. He configured it. He actually chose the wheels you have, but on the configurator they looked horrid... But the wheels I have now are not bad, just more classic...
The first week I looked at my FT not really convinced I actually owned the car.. .. now I'm used to it. In a few days we'll be in Germany on the Nordschleife, where my son already spend hundreds of hours on his race simulator..
The best part of the fun is, that I share it with my son !!

Old 07-02-2018, 08:18 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagged Wire

ps: got the ceramic coating, right?
pps: what’s that Focus ST doing in the background?
I did get it. I still go back and forth on that decision.

Picture was taken at the detailer’s shop, not sure if the Focus ST is owned by a customer or worker.

Thanks for all the responses!

Last edited by Pie944; 07-02-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:38 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Pie944

I did get it. I still go back and forth on that decision.

Picture was taken at the detailer’s shop, not sure if the Focus ST is owned by a customer or worker.

Thanks for all the responses!
Good call. You won’t be getting spider webs in your paint.
oh, Dads very words were "重要的是它让你高兴” before I translated from my above reply (Thanks Google Translate)

Old 07-04-2018, 12:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your beautiful car. No doubt your dad would be very proud and happy that he raised a son that is both self reflective and genuinely grateful for the things he did for you and taught you. Many of us on here have probably has some degree of an inner wrestling match over whether to buy a car like this. Few acquire the resources to get toys like these without spending a lot of time thinking and planning. As a coupe R owner myself I look for a balance between doing all the responsible things, i.e., making sure the family, kids, retirement, etc. are taken care of then using some of the left over to "live a little." Seems like you are doing the same thing. I'd be willing to bet your dad would think that is a pretty good way to do it. By the way, once you get past the break in and can start listening to the exhaust and feeling the power at higher revs, you're only question will be why you waited so long! Cheers.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:18 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

Congrats and welcome aboard! Really nice car and great story!

Old 07-04-2018, 08:55 PM
Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Congratulations That made me smile!!

Old 07-04-2018, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Enderle, never asked how move to way out there Bend is compared to Bay Area. Been to Bend and college in San Jose so i have a little reference.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:55 AM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Bend

Originally Posted by bjg625
Enderle, never asked how move to way out there Bend is compared to Bay Area. Been to Bend and college in San Jose so i have a little reference.
We love it here, right off the Deschutes river and pretty laid back. Snow in the winter not too much heat in the summer. (Got tired of the traffic, crime, and water shortage in the Bay Area). Tons to do, only problem is there aren't that many Jaguar drivers. Corvette club, Porsche club, Audi club (most all activities are Porsche) and car shows are mostly pre 1970 American iron. But that means even my XKR gets plenty of attention just miss the drives. Don't want to hijack this thread though.