F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New F Type Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 10:45 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New F Type Owner Questions

Hey everyone! Over the weekend I acquired a 2016 base F Type V6! So far that car has been fantastic and I’ve really enjoyed it, but I did have some new owner questions that I was wondering if you could help me with.

1. What’s the easiest way to add CarPlay? I’ve seen some posts that the 2016 can upgrade to CarPlay from the dealer, and I’ve seen some posts about the UAD unit, but I believe they are Europe based vendor and not sure if that unit will work in US vehicles? Has anyone tried this unit? https://thecarplayer.com/products/ap...type-2012-2016

2. Is the only way to get the upshift “burps” (or whatever you want to call them) to shift manually under hard acceleration? I tried dynamic mode and didn’t shift manually and didn’t seem to get them.

3. The car was being stored at a European vehicle service center when I picked it up, they were helping the seller by storing the vehicle (he was out of the country at the time). When I picked it up, they warned me 2 things about these F Types to keep a religious eye on.
a. They mentioned the coolant pipes behind/under the supercharger are notorious for leaking. They just replaced them on this vehicle at 39k miles (its at 40k now). Do these really go bad every 40k?
b. They also mentioned to keep a close eye on the oil level. He said they are known for burning oil and the low oil level alert system is garbage, and he’s seen engines throw rods all the time when people don’t constantly check the oil level. Is this something that always has to be watched?

4. Does anyone use Torque Pro (android app for monitoring metrics)? Any helpful PIDs that you use to monitor things on the F Type? So far I’ve only found coolant temp to be helpful. Does anyone else use a different OBD2 scanner to monitor their metrics?
a. What’s a good scanner to use for diagnostics?

Thanks for the help!

PFA

Old 06-06-2022, 12:22 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

3a. The coolant pipes were redesigned so if the latest versions were fitted they shouldn't need replacing at all.

3b. The engines are not "known for burning oil" - I've had variations of the V8 engine from an XK8 through two XKRs and now my F-Type and none of them burnt oil. In particular, the XK8 had done over 60,000 miles while the 2004 XKR had done over 90.000 - no oil burning in either. Your dealer may have that impression from the fact that when the engine is behaving "normally" he wouldn't see them, he'd only see the outliers that fail.

Last edited by scm; 06-06-2022 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
The following users liked this post:
Grumpy_Cat (09-18-2023)
Old 06-06-2022, 12:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
3a. The coolant pipes were redisigned so if the latest versions were fitted they shouldn't need replacing at all.

3b. The engines are not "known for burning oil" - I've had variations of the V8 engine from an XK8 through two XKRs and now my F-Type and none of them burnt oil. In particular, the XK8 had done over 60,000 miles while the 2004 XKR had done over 90.000 - no oil burning in either. Your dealer may have that impression from the fact that when the engine is behaving "normally" he wouldn't see them, he'd only see the outliers that fail.
Ok thats a very good point, thanks for that info!

Old 06-06-2022, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
3a. The coolant pipes were redesigned so if the latest versions were fitted they shouldn't need replacing at all.

Agreed.
Once the revised coolant system pipes are fitted there should be little or no problems for at least 100,000 miles, and the AJ133 (V8) and AJ126 (V6) are NOT notorious for burning oil. On both my XFR (V8) and F-Type (V6) I have never had to add/top up oil between oil changes, if either burnt any oil at all it was too little to register on the oil level readout.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:09 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

if you abuse your car it does make a lot of blow by in the intake, but thats seperate from burning oil. its always good to check your oil here and there anyways, its free to. upshift burps you can get while your car is in boost, you dont need to do hard acceleration. you can just hold the gas to where boost kicks in and just upshift with the paddle in race mode. i heavily recommend a tune on this car by velocity, it wakens it up.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:17 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheapo911
Hey everyone! Over the weekend I acquired a 2016 base F Type V6! So far that car has been fantastic and I’ve really enjoyed it, but I did have some new owner questions that I was wondering if you could help me with.

4. Does anyone use Torque Pro (android app for monitoring metrics)? Any helpful PIDs that you use to monitor things on the F Type? So far I’ve only found coolant temp to be helpful. Does anyone else use a different OBD2 scanner to monitor their metrics?
a. What’s a good scanner to use for diagnostics?

PFA
Take care with the obd dongle you use, there are many that will not release the handshake with the car and result in a battery drain.
Searching here should yield a few models for which this is not a problem. I can't give direct experience, the kiwi I use for track days does result in battery drain (just requires disconnecting the battery to end the drain).

Congrats on the cat, and welcome to the family.

The following users liked this post:
Grumpy_Cat (09-18-2023)