F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New F-Type R coming, question for everyone

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 10:45 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New F-Type R coming, question for everyone

Hey, everybody, I have still been lurking on here, posting occasionally. I closed on the 10 buildings and 132 apartments 2 weeks ago and have been pretty crazy busy ever since. I decided that the AWD and the electric steering on the 2016 models wasn’t the F-Type that I fell in love with and have been working with the dealer in Minneapolis, MN. They got the EXACT car that I would have custom ordered in from Lake Bluff and it is currently sitting in the Twin Cities. I have just been too busy recently to go and pick it up. I have a friend that is giving me a ride on Tues the 17th to go and get it. I cannot wait.
2015 R
Italian Race Red
Gyrodyne Diamond Cut wheels
Black pack
Pano Roof
Jet seats with Red stitch
Red seat belts
Vision Pack
Illuminated Tread sills
Aluminum shift paddles and dead pedal

I am a buy-them-and-keep-them sort of guy. I have spent the last 2-3 years looking at everything available and just fell in love with the F-Type. Now, I will be spending the next 2-3 years looking for the next car. Don’t worry, the F-Type will not be forgotten or neglected, it is just one of my character flaws that I am always on the hunt for the next thing. (Thank god I am not a drug addict, lol)

I am looking for a foil to the F-Type, something mid-engined, just a bit more serious. The main candidate now is the new Audi R8 V10+. I do like the McLarens, and am interested in the new Sports Series. However, the nearest dealership is in Chicago, 450 miles away. Every owner warns that if you plan to keep the Mac out of warrantee, you better have a dealership nearby. So that puts the kibosh on that. The Audi I can have serviced in the Twin Cites, next door to the Jag dealership, and, frankly, will probably be more reliable than most other cars in it’s class. Also, NA V10, twin clutch, and Quattro AWD. Hard to beat that combination.

The other car that, if it were ever made, is the one that I would like everyone’s opinion on. As you all have seen by now, the new Bond film Spectre has the CX-75 as the baddie’s car, it just has a V-8 in it rather than the 4 pot and hybrid system. There is a small, (albeit, very, very, small) rumor going around that Jag is testing the water if anyone would be interested in the car with that set up. I doubt that they will make it, despite my wish that they would.
My question to you all is this: For roughly Ferrari 458 money, would anyone here buy the CX-75 with a V-8?

Old 03-07-2015, 01:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Hard to say, depends on the situation. Having never owned a Ferrari, if magically $300K fell into my lap, I'd get a Ferrari because, well, it's a Ferrari. But if I already had a Ferrari and was looking for the next car or another car, I'd consider the CX-75. Love the design/style. Definitely take it over the McLaren 650, which I'm not a fan of the looks.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:30 AM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
Hard to say, depends on the situation. Having never owned a Ferrari, if magically $300K fell into my lap, I'd get a Ferrari because, well, it's a Ferrari. But if I already had a Ferrari and was looking for the next car or another car, I'd consider the CX-75. Love the design/style. Definitely take it over the McLaren 650, which I'm not a fan of the looks.
You need to own a prancing horse at least once in your life if you are truly a car lover. Personally I'm not enamored with the looks of the last few Ferrari models and I agree with Shift, the McClarens are kind of plain looking. Cant say I like much of the new Lambos either, the Murcielago is a good looker though. The new Aston Martin DB10 confirms that they have nothing interesting design wise going on and well the CX-75 is just one sexy looking cat. Based on looks alone I'd have a CX-75 over any of the new Ferraris. Maybe not over a mint Testarossa, 250t/gto etc but its not really comparable since its form the 80/60s. I still love the looks of the XJ220.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

If I read your question correctly, it was focused on the power plant rather than a comparison with the other options.
The F-Type was built as a daily driver that will be used under normal traffic conditions. High torque V-8s and V-6s that can generate the performance across a broad range of engine speeds are best suited for this task. These are engines are for cars that can be pushed hard or taken for a relaxing ride.
The CX-75 should probably not be considered for the latter purpose. It will be more properly suited for manic canyon carving. For that type of car, ideally I would want a high revving ( 10,000 rpm+) 3.0L v-12 requiring a lot more concentration to keep it in the (800+hp) power range. Others on this forum know me well enough to know that I would not want the derrigeur dual-clutch tranny coupled with that power plant. I'm old school and would want a close-ratio (6 or 7 speed) straight cut gearbox (no synchros). IMPO

Short answer: No, I'd go for the Ferrari. The V8 is not the right tool for that job.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-07-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:41 AM

Unfortunately for me, the nearest dealerships for McLaren, Ferrari Lamborghini, and Aston Martin are over in Chicago, 450 miles away. I have looked at Ferrari’s cars and at the company itself. The cars seem to be good, but dealing with the company just sounds like a PITA. That is the same reason I crossed the new Z06 off my list. The GM dealers would rather spit on you than sell you a car. McLaren owners say that their cars are glitchy at best. The new Huracan doesn’t blow my socks off. I would rather have the new R8 and save some money. The Aventador falls into the same category as the McLarens. My friend has been trying to talk me into a new Vanquish rather than the R8. I just think it is too close to the same thing as the F-Type. Porsche doesn’t interest me.

So, here I am- pretty well settled on the R8. It is one of only 3 V10s left in the world, which makes it pretty special. The looks seem ok, but it is not beautiful. It is almost a foil to the CX-75 itself. It is all tech and no emotion, whereas the Jag (minus the hybrid) is 100% style.
If Jag were to offer the CX with the V8, it would be a no brainer for me. It was the same with the F-Type. I could have gotten something more performance oriented, but it simply was not necessary. I just needed a road car so I was willing to sacrifice track/limit performance for all the charisma of the Jag. It would be the same with the CX.

IDK, I am just rambling at this point. Jaguar, if you are reading this, I will happily give you money for that gorgeous car with the normal supercharged V8.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Adam B
IDK, I am just rambling at this point. Jaguar, if you are reading this, I will happily give you money for that gorgeous car with the normal supercharged V8.
I think you are approaching the matter logically. Like me, you may just have to wait until the right solution appears if the R8 doesn't ultimately turn your crank. I've been looking for the right car for 10 years. Finally in 2013, Jaguar introduced the F-Type that came all too close to the perfect car for me. It took another 2 years for them to offer the transmission that fulfilled the requirements.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Adam B,
That's quite a dilemma, waiting for the perfect supercar to come along while "suffering" in an F-type. While I'm more a fan of late 60's-early 70's supercars (just smitten with Italian styling from that era--Daytona coupe, Pantera, Miura, etc.), and I love the looks of the CX75 because it's not as fussy as any Lambo, and better looking than the current crop of Ferraris or the McClaren, I don't believe it will be produced. However, the new Ford GT is coming and should be a spectacular car both technically and visually. And the 2005-2006 Ford GT's are probably the only American cars ever made that never depreciated a dime and actually appreciated from new.

I have driven the R-8 on occasion and as every Audi, it's a terrific car that does everything well and is certainly nicer looking (imho) than its twin sister, the Gallardo. I think there is a new design coming either next year or the year after.

Enjoy your new F-type and good luck in your future search.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by tberg
Adam B,
That's quite a dilemma, waiting for the perfect supercar to come along while "suffering" in an F-type.
Lol, I know, first world problems and such. I had decided a while ago, though, that if I could only ever own one sports car for the rest of my life, it would be the F-Type coupe.

I have seen 2 2005 Ford GTs in person and they look spectacular and I love them, but they just aren't what I am looking to own. The new GT it 100% track car and for the price I would rather have something else.

Thanks for the input on the R8. I cross shopped them with the F-Type, and, while the R8 has the tech, it just couldn't compete with the X-factor that the F-Type had. It was my second choice to the Jag and, with the new one over 600bhp still with the NA V10, it seems like the best candidate.

Agreed on the looks of the CX-75, the design just flows, the new R8, not so much.

Thanks

Old 03-07-2015, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by lhoboy
I think you are approaching the matter logically. Like me, you may just have to wait until the right solution appears if the R8 doesn't ultimately turn your crank. I've been looking for the right car for 10 years. Finally in 2013, Jaguar introduced the F-Type that came all too close to the perfect car for me. It took another 2 years for them to offer the transmission that fulfilled the requirements.
Thanks, when it comes to decisions, especially expensive ones, every option is on the table at first and things get crossed out for one reason or another until the best option remains.

Congrats on finding your perfect car! It seems like there were quite a few people holding out for the 3 pedal setup. Hope you enjoy it when it comes in!

Old 03-07-2015, 10:11 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You may want to wait and look at the incoming Corvette ZR-1 which everyone is calling a Zora. I am with you with GM. The dealerships are lousy and aren't generally interested in developing a relationship. But I love my stingray and am seriously considering trading it for a Z06 despite the fact that my dealership experiences have been atrocious. I've learned to get over the sucky customer service.

I'm stuck between the z06 and the f type R. I'm like you. Just bought the stingray a year ago and have been on the lookout for the next purchase. for me though, I'm not sure how fiscally responsible it would be to make another purchase now.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by IMMD
You may want to wait and look at the incoming Corvette ZR-1 which everyone is calling a Zora. I am with you with GM. The dealerships are lousy and aren't generally interested in developing a relationship. But I love my stingray and am seriously considering trading it for a Z06 despite the fact that my dealership experiences have been atrocious. I've learned to get over the sucky customer service.

I'm stuck between the z06 and the f type R. I'm like you. Just bought the stingray a year ago and have been on the lookout for the next purchase. for me though, I'm not sure how fiscally responsible it would be to make another purchase now.
Sorry, but at this point, the mid-engined 'Vette is more vaporware that the CX-75. There are several CXs with V8s being used for filming in the Bond movie Spectre. I just wish Jag would produce those to sell. The ME Vette has been rumored for every generation that the corvette has been around. I am not saying that it won't happen in the future, just that I don't see it happening anytime soon.

To get this back on topic; for say $300,000 would anyone here buy the CX-75 with a 600 bhp V8?

Old 03-07-2015, 12:12 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

To get this back on topic; for say $300,000 would anyone here buy the CX-75 with a 600 bhp V8?
No I'd go with the Aston any day over the cx 75.

By the way there's more than just chatter on the Zora.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IMMD
By the way there's more than just chatter on the Zora.
May Arkus-Duntov's legacy live forever!

Old 03-08-2015, 04:08 PM
Received 259 Likes on 149 Posts

I am going to chime in now. I take exception with several statements you make.

Firstly McLaren cars are not " glitchy" I am an owner, so I speak from experience, not my uncles friends cousin knows someone who knows someone blah blah blah.

My McLaren has been 100% reliable just fill with fuel and drive like crazy. McLaren is the only supercar manufacturer who will NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY if you track the car. My dealer is 400 miles away and does annual service at my home and if anything requires a more intensive look, they pick up my car and transport it back to the dealership in an enclosed truck and then return it back to me. This is what all McLaren dealers do. McLaren had a few cars with failures and gave the owners new cars. Do you think Jaguar will give you a new car if your gearbox fails?

I traveled to Woking to watch my car being produced,Spend a few hours talking to the folks who were hand building my car, spend some time with Frank Stephenson(head of design) and toured the facility. Frank even brought me back to the design offices(strictly off limits). At anytime I can email Frank or someone in engineering if I have a question about my car. Do you think any other manufacturer will answer your questions?

(Aston Martin will do the same)

The majority of the McLaren owners are ex-Ferrari owners and came to McLaren because of the reliability and engineering. No Ferrari dealer will do service at your home and pick up your car to bring back to the dealership at their expense.

Ford GT, I am an owner also. The new GT is going to be priced around the same price as the Aventador($375k). Myself and just about anybody else will never see one. There are 7500 dealers worldwide and only 1000 cars being produced, simple math means the dealers who get one, will keep it in their private collection. If they do sell it after a few years , it will go for $100k's over MSRP.

CX-75, if it does go to production will be priced closer to the million dollar mark than $300k. My Project 7 cost $180 so logically the CX-75 will be McLaren P1, LaFerrari and Porsche 918 range.

The Audi R8...well what can you say. If you buy one you will alway look at it and know you compromised. You ended up with the boring, reliable and not very good looking one.

Last edited by zach05855; 03-08-2015 at 04:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (03-08-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts
Old 03-08-2015, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by zach05855
I am going to chime in now. I take exception with several statements you make.

Firstly McLaren cars are not " glitchy" I am an owner, so I speak from experience, not my uncles friends cousin knows someone who knows someone blah blah blah.

My McLaren has been 100% reliable just fill with fuel and drive like crazy. McLaren is the only supercar manufacturer who will NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY if you track the car. My dealer is 400 miles away and does annual service at my home and if anything requires a more intensive look, they pick up my car and transport it back to the dealership in an enclosed truck and then return it back to me. This is what all McLaren dealers do. McLaren had a few cars with failures and gave the owners new cars. Do you think Jaguar will give you a new car if your gearbox fails?

I traveled to Woking to watch my car being produced,Spend a few hours talking to the folks who were hand building my car, spend some time with Frank Stephenson(head of design) and toured the facility. Frank even brought me back to the design offices(strictly off limits). At anytime I can email Frank or someone in engineering if I have a question about my car. Do you think any other manufacturer will answer your questions?
I am sorry if I offended you with my McLaren comments. I frequently lurk at McLaren Life and the problems with IRIS have been well documented. If your car has been 100% reliable, that is great. When I find things like this though, it scares me enough to look at other marques:

Transmission Failure Go to Dealer
Front Right Headlight failure, see dealership
Left Display console Upside down
Iphone 5 doesn't work with media center
Mileage : 800

9/9/2014

Front Headlight Error, go to dealer
A/C weak and not functioning
Reverse Camera Frozen
mileage : 1434
Vehicle Picked up on 9/10/2014
Drop off : 9/23/2014
Repair Order : 9/11/2014
13 Days in Service

10/20/2014
Back Up camera Frozen
Air Brake Fault go to dealer
Low Tire pressure
Airbag Fault go to dealer
Faulty Clamp on Engine Bay causing beep for not closing
Mileage : 1767
Pick up date : 10/25/14
Drop off : 11/5/2014
Repair Order : 10/27/14
11 Days in Service

11/15/2014
Engine System Fault go to Dealer (Discovered unconnected turbo hose to be issue)
Mileage : 2021
Pick up date : 11/18/2014
Drop off : 11/27/14
9 Days in service

12/17/2014
AirBrake Fault go to dealer
Whining electric noise ( not addressed)
Rough Idle when opening door (not addressed)
Pick up date : 12/18/14
Drop off date : 1/7/2015
20 Days in Service

1/12/2015
Climate Control Fault
Rouge Idle Issue
Milage : 2358
Pick up date : 1/14/15
8 days so far

Old 03-08-2015, 06:00 PM

I have read about the quality of McLaren service and customer care, and it seems second to none. I cannot argue about that. I still very much intend to go to the Mac dealership before I decide on my next car. Truth be told, the McLaren cars are at the top of my 'WANT' list, they have been since they introduced the 12C. I adore them more than any Ferrari or Lambo or Audi (which admittedly is boring in the looks department and compromised) The Macs have that X-Factor, the same way that the F-Type does. The fact that the dealership is 400 miles away may just be a mental hurdle that I have to get over if I do purchase one.

Again, I am sorry, no offense intended.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:36 PM
Received 259 Likes on 149 Posts

I am sorry if I offended you with my McLaren comments. I frequently lurk at McLaren Life and the problems with IRIS have been well documented. If your car has been 100% reliable, that is great. When I find things like this though, it scares me enough to look at other marques:

Transmission Failure Go to Dealer
Front Right Headlight failure, see dealership
Left Display console Upside down
Iphone 5 doesn't work with media center
Mileage : 800

9/9/2014

Front Headlight Error, go to dealer
A/C weak and not functioning
Reverse Camera Frozen
mileage : 1434
Vehicle Picked up on 9/10/2014
Drop off : 9/23/2014
Repair Order : 9/11/2014
13 Days in Service

10/20/2014
Back Up camera Frozen
Air Brake Fault go to dealer
Low Tire pressure
Airbag Fault go to dealer
Faulty Clamp on Engine Bay causing beep for not closing
Mileage : 1767
Pick up date : 10/25/14
Drop off : 11/5/2014
Repair Order : 10/27/14
11 Days in Service

11/15/2014
Engine System Fault go to Dealer (Discovered unconnected turbo hose to be issue)
Mileage : 2021
Pick up date : 11/18/2014
Drop off : 11/27/14
9 Days in service

12/17/2014
AirBrake Fault go to dealer
Whining electric noise ( not addressed)
Rough Idle when opening door (not addressed)
Pick up date : 12/18/14
Drop off date : 1/7/2015
20 Days in Service

1/12/2015
Climate Control Fault
Rouge Idle Issue
Milage : 2358
Pick up date : 1/14/15
8 days so far

People go to forums to bitch and moan, McLaren has manufactured 5000 cars over the past few years and the problem cars are less than 0.05%.

There are the group who complain about Iris, wait till you start with Jaguars electronics and then you will experience complaints. The 1980 interface, you can use a calendar to time the screen refresh. Iris is decades ahead of The Jaguar system. If you are going to buy a car based on the electronic interface/sound system then go buy a Tesla.

Iris is as good as any other supercar system.

as for the other complaints, you have gone back 1 year and came up with 6 cars that had issues. All auto manufacturers would dream of having 6 people complaining after producing around 1500 cars in that period.

Go onto any other car forum and you will see hundreds of complaints in that same period. How many 458's have burned to a crisp in that same period. How many Porsche's have burned to a crisp in that same period, they even stop production of the gt3 because of fires.. Audi's R8 burned to a crisp on the Nurburgring.

Better yet check this forum and you find hundreds of people complaining. My F Type R spent a month on a Port recall while I waited for it to be delivered. Once it was delivered it was too late to even drive it because winter set in. To date it still only has 8 miles on the odometer.

The last place you want to judge a car is on a forum, that's where all people go to complain.

At least McLaren is on the forum and address's peoples issues. The last person who had problems that persisted, McLaren gave him a brand new car.

If you think Jaguar will give you a new car because of persistent issues, good luck.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by zach05855
The last person who had problems that persisted, McLaren gave him a brand new car.
I'm assuming this person originally bought their McLaren new? I would be utterly shocked if McLaren offered a similar solution to non-original owners. I'm assuming the OP in this thread is considering a used McLaren up against a new Jaguar (since they are relatively close in price, but a new McLaren isn't close).

Old 03-08-2015, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
I'm assuming this person originally bought their McLaren new? I would be utterly shocked if McLaren offered a similar solution to non-original owners. I'm assuming the OP in this thread is considering a used McLaren up against a new Jaguar (since they are relatively close in price, but a new McLaren isn't close).
If I went the McLaren route it would more than likely be new. I know, massive depreciation... but I would have no intention of selling the car, it would be to keep in addition to the F-Type.

If you were to spend $200-300 K on a mid-engine car, what would be your preference?

Quick Reply: New F-Type R coming, question for everyone