F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New F type roadster

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 01:46 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New F type roadster

Just bought a 2014 V8S convertible in silver. My first Jag. Traded in my 997 C2S cabriolet. Thought about a 991 cab but I wanted something a bit more dramatic. The 997 was fun but I just couldn't get it to be the roadster I wanted it to be. It was convertible, 6 speed, RWD but the sound was lacking passion even after high flow headers, catless pipes, and performance exhaust. Plus, lots of 911s in my neck of the woods (FL) and I wanted something that looked and sounded exotic/beautiful/dramatic.
Some thoughts on the Jag. It is a real head turner. People are always stopping and looking like I drove up in a Bugatti or something. I guess its because there aren't that many on the road and its a real looker. Love the way it looks and love, love, love the way it sounds. I rarely am using the radio now: top down and loud button on. I had a smart top on the 997 so that's the first thing I did to the jag, super convenient with one touch opening. Put in rubber mats too.
Driving impressions. Lots of power, but I have to say its hard to lay it all down without fish-taling. Although I doubt I'll buy an AWD F type, I can see where it would be a benefit with all the V8 power. I usually flash my vehicles for more power but I don't think I will because its tail happy already. Its harder to control the power with an automatic rather than a manual transmission.
This is my first automatic sports care ever. This has been the hardest to get used to. Usually keep it in auto, b/c I haven't adjusted to the paddles yet. Is there a way to switch to neutral from the paddles?? When I'm coming to a stop in a stick, I pop it from 4th into neutral and coast to a stop, then stick it in first to go. I've found that in the Jag, I have to paddle down to each gear when coming to a stop which doesn't feel natural. Is there a better way?
Looking forward to being part of the forum!
GatorSkin

The following 2 users liked this post by Gator skin:
Foosh (12-27-2014), Mahjik (12-27-2014)
Old 12-27-2014, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Congrats. No way to put it N. But you can just leave it in 4th. It'll go back to 1 automatically to prevent stalling. At least that's what i remember.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:19 PM

Thanks, shift. I'll try that.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:31 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

welcome Gator Skin! Beautiful car - congrats and enjoy!

Old 12-27-2014, 02:40 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Congratulations! Great to see another Florida Jag! There were not many of us with F-Types at first but we are catching up. Really like the color combination and the wheels (I have those wheels too).

Old 12-27-2014, 03:38 PM

Thanks, lovemonet. I love the turbines too.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:54 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

Welcome Gator. Congrats on your beautiful Jag. Enjoy.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:03 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator skin
Thanks, lovemonet. I love the turbines too.
I have to ask as I saw the Stevinson dealer plate on your car. I know they are big in the Denver area but have they opened a Jaguar dealership in Florida?

Old 12-27-2014, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Congratulations!

Old 12-27-2014, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lovemonet
I have to ask as I saw the Stevinson dealer plate on your car. I know they are big in the Denver area but have they opened a Jaguar dealership in Florida?
Bought it from them in Denver via phone b/c it was low miles, right color/options, and cpo. Shipped it here.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Gorgeous color combo, Gator. The silver turbines with the silver paint and light interior look stunning.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:12 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Nice! Welcome to the forum and Florida hooligans.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
Gorgeous color combo, Gator. The silver turbines with the silver paint and light interior look stunning.
Thanks. I'm a big silver fan. Last 6 or 7 cars have been silver. Never looks dirty, always looks fast. I considered dark wheels w/silver body, but in the end I went w the all silver look, especially w the light interior. All kind of meshes. My first silver car was a 2002 boxster with gray top, light gray interior, and brushed silver wheels. That's what started the trend.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:57 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Nice car! Have fun and congratulations! I really like those rims. Maybe I'll switch at some point. Enjoy your weather for driving.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by F-TypeRookie
Nice car! Have fun and congratulations! I really like those rims. Maybe I'll switch at some point. Enjoy your weather for driving.
Thanks. There's no putting her away for winter here in north Florida. Today's drive was 71 degrees and clear skies. Top down year round.

The following users liked this post:
F-TypeRookie (12-27-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 08:02 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

You don't have to downshift at all when coming to a stop - it does a good job on its own. No neutral with the paddle shifters. To go from manual paddle shifting back to auto, hold both paddles for a second or two.

I used mostly auto shifting for the first year, but I discovered I get a lot more interesting exhaust sounds with the paddles. (I have active exhaust, but not switchable.)

Old 12-28-2014, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by DJS
You don't have to downshift at all when coming to a stop - it does a good job on its own. No neutral with the paddle shifters. To go from manual paddle shifting back to auto, hold both paddles for a second or two.

I used mostly auto shifting for the first year, but I discovered I get a lot more interesting exhaust sounds with the paddles. (I have active exhaust, but not switchable.)
Cool, thanks. Ur right, I get a lot more sounds when I decel from high rpms in manual mode

Old 12-28-2014, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator skin
Cool, thanks. Ur right, I get a lot more sounds when I decel from high rpms in manual mode
Absolutely--aggressive paddle downshifts result in more fuel injected to produce the revs required to match the gear selected, which begets more unburned fuel in the exhaust, which begets more explosive combustion in said exhaust, which begets a more exhilarating sound-track!

Letting the automatic do it alone turns the volume way down because all downshifts in that mode are a much closer match.

In addition, flipping the console selector to "dynamic mode" changes the throttle mapping to a more aggressive setting, which also causes the ECU to inject more fuel during the process of deceleration.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-28-2014 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Old 12-28-2014, 10:53 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I have my paddles disabled in non-dynamic mode, but I always turn on dynamic mode anyway.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Absolutely--aggressive paddle downshifts result in more fuel injected to produce the revs required to match the gear selected, which begets more unburned fuel in the exhaust, which begets more explosive combustion in said exhaust, which begets a more exhilarating sound-track!

Letting the automatic do it alone turns the volume way down because all downshifts in that mode are a much closer match.

In addition, flipping the console selector to "dynamic mode" changes the throttle mapping to a more aggressive setting, which also causes the ECU to inject more fuel during the process of deceleration.

A real good example of how the AT along with its modern day brains have taken over some of the joys of driving. Just think how exhilarating it would will be to personally have full control over the above processes (your feet provide the shift mapping). I can only imagine what that car will sound like with double clutching on the downshift.

MORE DEAD HORSES!

Last edited by Unhingd; 12-28-2014 at 01:38 PM.

Quick Reply: New F type roadster