F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the F-Type - some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2023 | 04:54 PM
|
Default New to the F-Type - some questions.

Hi guys, first time F-Type and in fact Jaguar owner. Only been a couple of days and haven't driven it much as I am waiting to get some PPF, tint and other work done before I hit the road with it. It's a 2020 Jaguar F Type R. I got rid of my R8 V10 Spyder for it and was fully expecting to be completely depressed with the drive, but the F-Type delivers in the driving department. Sound is great too, though not as good as my V10 with titanium exhaust system I had on it.

Anyway, I had a question that I wanted to see if someone can shed some light on. When I go into the vehicle info menu from the steering wheel, I see 'oil level' option when I select it does not show oil level. I don't recall exactly but just says cannot be displayed or something. This is the same whether I check right when I start the car or after it's been driven for some time. What gives?

Second, within this same menu, I saw on a YouTube video that it is supposed to have service information. As in when the next service is due, but I have no such option in my cluster. This is not normal is it? The vehicle still has OEM warranty so I can take it to the dealer but just trying to do some research beforehand to see if this is normal or something is missing.

Thanks very much.

Old 05-23-2023 | 05:51 PM
Veteran Member

On checking the oil level - the proper method is to have the car/oil warm, then let it sit for 10 minutes or so before checking (so it has a chance to settle after running).
You have to have the car in Accessory mode, but not running to see a reading.

There is no "gauge" showing time to next service, although the car will display a message when you're due. Just follow the maintenance schedule. BTW, be sure you know when you're annual service date is and get it scheduled within the month, so you stay on the good side of your coverage. Also, it can happen that your dealer forgets to reset the timing when it's in, but you can reset it manually.

Check out the sticky "How To" thread for many tips, including doing a reset.

Welcome to the club!

The following users liked this post:
Jaaaaag (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023 | 06:08 PM

Also make sure the vehicle is on a flat surface when you check the oil level.

Jaaaaag (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023 | 06:28 PM
|

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Good to know that there is no such option for 'next service' as I thought my vehicle was missing something. I did see this on a F Type on a Youtube video, however, it was an older model and perhaps it was changed along the ways. And good to know about the oil too, will try to check it based on that. I guess I will just wait for the next, 'next service due in ____' message before worrying about it. Since I just got it, presumably the dealer did all checks and services. They did show me the healthy report which the vehicle passed so there's that.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jaaaaag:
Nycikku (05-28-2023), Portlander (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023 | 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

In my 5.0L XKR, I have never yet in 199,650 miles been able to check my oil level within 10 minutes of letting it cool down. It's more like 30 minutes, so I just check it before I start the car in the morning every few days. Yes, I know it's not as accurate, but at least you'll know if you're more than a little low. Fortunately, even at this mileage, I rarely burn any oil. Congratulations on your new purchase.

Jaaaaag (05-23-2023)
Old 05-24-2023 | 12:38 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jaaaaag
Good to know that there is no such option for 'next service' as I thought my vehicle was missing something. I did see this on a F Type on a Youtube video, however, it was an older model and perhaps it was changed along the ways.
In my MY18 the "next service" option is in the Vehicle Information menu, and shows the number of miles to the next service.

Jaaaaag (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023 | 07:35 AM

You can check the oil when the car is warm. There is a procedure that involves turning the switch on without starting the engine, raising the bonnet, and a few clicks of a couple buttoms. You can do a search on here to find it or maybe someone else remembers exactly the sequence, but I don't have the info at hand at the moment. I've even had to educate Jag. service advisors about the method.

Jaaaaag (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023 | 08:36 AM

Have engine oil warmed up and parked on a leveled surface. Turn car on without starting the engine. Open the bonnet, Go to the Menu to the oil level status option, then double press the "CAN" button on your right hand side steering wheel controls.

Jaaaaag (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023 | 08:37 AM

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Jaaaaag (as Jeremy Clarkson always pronounces it). My 2021 F Type R will show the number of miles to the next service on the same menu screen that shows the tire pressure info and oil level. Yours should be there as well.

Regarding checking the oil level: You can check it cold by turning on the ignition but not starting the engine and going to the appropriate screen in the menu. It will not be as accurate as checking it warm. That requires waiting 30 minutes after shutdown for the oil to drain back in the sump before activating the vehicle status menu. If you try and check it with the engine the least bit warm but before approximately 30 minutes after shut down you will get the error message that the reading is not available.

The "factory default" software for checking the oil level is that it will give an "average" reading. Nobody seems to know exactly what that means. It gives an average reading of the last five times you have checked it ? Ten times ? Whatever.

The other way to check it is "live" as SassySarah alludes to above. The procedure is as follows:
  1. Open hood
  2. Wait 30 minutes if engine is warm
  3. Turn on ignition (do not start engine)
  4. Scroll through menu until engine oil status is displayed
  5. Press the "CAN" (cancel) button for the cruise control on the steering wheel twice within 2 seconds
  6. Check the engine oil level on the menu again, it should now read "live"
If you want to switch back to Average:
  1. Close hood
  2. Turn ignition on (without starting the engine)
  3. Go to the menu screen for checking oil level
  4. Press and HOLD the "CAN" button for more than 5 seconds
  5. Turn ignition off
  6. Turn ignition back on and when you go back through the menu it should now be reading the average oil level again

Last edited by Dwight Frye; 05-24-2023 at 08:41 AM.
Jaaaaag (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023 | 09:16 AM

Wish it had a dipstick…

The following 3 users liked this post by mcphill:
Dwight Frye (05-25-2023), Jaaaaag (05-24-2023), Jp129 (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023 | 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by mcphill
Wish it had a dipstick…
I absolutely adore the FT but yes, there are definitely idiosyncrasies and over complexity in many of the systems. Not an engineer, but I can only imagine a dipstick would've been more cost effective vs an oil level sensor and programming.

Windshield wiper fluid system is another overcomplicated piece.

Jaaaaag (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023 | 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jaaaaag
Since I just got it, presumably the dealer did all checks and services. They did show me the healthy report which the vehicle passed so there's that.
Nothing against Jag dealers in particular [as I have had only positive experiences with mine], but never assume...and ask lots of questions if you are unsure.

Times are tough and who knows what corners are being cut these days.

Jaaaaag (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023 | 11:19 AM
|

Thanks for the comments everyone. I think I figured out how to check the oil level and will give it a shot next time I drive it. I haven't driven it much so far since I am waiting for some PPF to be done before I subject it to our shitty roads. Haha.

But I am confused on the menu option of showing the next service once again, initially some people said there is no such menu option, and now some others are saying there should be. Perhaps I will call the dealer and ask them I guess because mine is definitely missing that option in the 'oil level' and 'tire pressure' menu. Wonder if it's a software update issue or something like that. And @Dwight Frye , I am glad you caught the reference from my username. Haha. Jeremy Clarkson is exactly who I was thinking of when I put that up. Haha.

Old 05-24-2023 | 11:42 AM
scm
Veteran Member

I don't think the option shows up in mine when the engine is running, but in accessory mode it's definitely there. I'll double check later.

Old 05-24-2023 | 11:47 AM
|

Ah, that maybe the difference. Each time I tried the menu I believe the car was running. Next time I will try it in accessory mode.

Old 05-24-2023 | 03:31 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Yeah, definitely disappears when the engine is on.

Old 05-24-2023 | 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

You can also view miles to next service in the Jaguar remote app

Old 05-24-2023 | 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BritCars
You can also view miles to next service in the Jaguar remote app
I just looked through my app and couldn't find that. Where is it?

Old 05-25-2023 | 03:20 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I just looked through my app and couldn't find that. Where is it?
On the Home page, tap "Status".

eeeeek (05-25-2023)
Old 05-25-2023 | 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
On the Home page, tap "Status".
Got it. Thanks!

Quick Reply: New to the F-Type - some questions.