F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the F-Type - some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2023 | 01:01 PM
|

Happy to report that I have now verified this. The next service option only shows in accessory mode and same with the oil check.

Now next confusion lol, when I clicked next service, it showed next service in 23K km's. The car has 21K km's as of right now but it can't be right that next service is not for another 23K km's, right? Typically these cars have them set somewhere 10K - 14K km's, but 23K seems quite excessive. Since it's one of several vehicles, it won't get driven that much but I assume passage of time should trigger the 'next service due' sign instead.

Old 05-25-2023 | 01:04 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Jag’s recommended service interval is 16k miles, though no one here thinks it’s a good idea to get anywhere close to that. I change my oil annually, which is around 8k miles. Even that is too much for some folks here.

Old 05-25-2023 | 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

Yes - 16,000 mile service interval which is about 26,000km
But yes - it is either that many miles (which few f types do) or once a year. The service interval light will come on after 12 months even if you are well below the 16,000 mile range

Same engines are used in the Land Rover / Range Rovers and many of us do 16,000 miles annually between service intervals. I've done that on the V6 Supercharged in my Land Rover with no issues. I had oil analysis done after the second full year and 16k miles that year, and apparently the oil was in great shape and could have done a lot more. So I think engine and oil engineering is very different than a generation ago..

Old 05-26-2023 | 12:11 AM
|

Wow that's quite unreal to hear. I am impressed that they overestimate their engines by that much and glad that generally owners don't, haha. Mine will definitely time out so will deal wth it then. Not sure why I worry about these things considering I go through cars really quickly I rarely have to service them. Haha.

Old 05-26-2023 | 05:54 AM

Very helpful thread for me as I’m a newbie to the F Type as well.

It seems quite strange to me that you need to pop the hood before checking their level on the sensor. As others said, if I have to do that; I would rather just check a dipstick.

Regarding service intervals, OMG! 26,000 KM! My fun cars get an oil change when I pull them out of hibernation each season in April/May. In each case this works out to be very little mileage between changes, but I can’t sleep without changing oil even after 5000km. I guess my OCD flares up in the case of vehicles.

Old 05-26-2023 | 06:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pupilbone
Very helpful thread for me as I’m a newbie to the F Type as well.

It seems quite strange to me that you need to pop the hood before checking their level on the sensor. As others said, if I have to do that; I would rather just check a dipstick.

Regarding service intervals, OMG! 26,000 KM! My fun cars get an oil change when I pull them out of hibernation each season in April/May. In each case this works out to be very little mileage between changes, but I can’t sleep without changing oil even after 5000km. I guess my OCD flares up in the case of vehicles.
No need to pop the hood to check the oil level.
Just do it in the morning after the car has sat overnight, before starting 'er up.
And yes 16,000 miles or 26,000 km between oil changes is a sick joke.

Old 05-26-2023 | 06:08 AM

There’s no way I’d go 16,000 miles between an LOF.

A) It’s just so dang easy to change it yourself there is NO excuse to not do it.
B) I’ve seen what comes out of this DI supercharged motor at the 5,000 mile interval I run. Yuck.

Old 05-26-2023 | 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Robtrt8
There’s no way I’d go 16,000 miles between an LOF.

A) It’s just so dang easy to change it yourself there is NO excuse to not do it.
B) I’ve seen what comes out of this DI supercharged motor at the 5,000 mile interval I run. Yuck.
I couldn’t agree more.

Old 05-26-2023 | 08:14 AM

I had my 2021 F Type in for the free scheduled maintenance a few weeks ago. The service technician reset the service interval for 16,000 miles. I'm only putting a few thousand miles a year on the car as it is a fair weather fun driver only. If the car was out of warranty I would change the oil and filter every 5000 miles. No way would I extend it to the recommended 16,000 oil change intervals recommended in the owners manual. I changed the factory fill oil myself at around the 1250 mile mark by using a Mityvac and the cost of the special Castrol Edge Professional 0W-20 oil and a factory filter was around $120.

Regarding checking the oil level, the mention of having to open the hood only pertained to the process of changing the readout from average to real time. Once you have chosen the method, you don't need to open the hood, you just check it with the ignition in the ACC position either cold, or about 30 minutes after engine shutdown.

What I'd really like to see would be some kind of aftermarket dipstick, maybe some kind of small diameter flexible cable that is calibrated by length to measure the oil in the sump by feeding it down the center tube in the oil fill hole with a cap on the end that fits over where the standard cap fits.

Too bad the engineers at JLR didn't design in a conventional dipstick. I guess a feature that had been around for the last hundred years and worked fine was seen as obsolete.

Old 05-26-2023 | 09:06 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jaaaaag
... I go through cars really quickly I rarely have to service them. Haha.
If you have any sense, you won't go though this one quickly!

Old 05-26-2023 | 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

I have my oil changed in my 5.0L Supercharged XKR every 3000-5000 miles. And next Tuesday or Wednesday when my odometer hits 200,000 miles, I'll know why so frequently! 16000 miles on a high performance engine is nuts. I'd be on my fourth by then.

Old 05-26-2023 | 11:12 AM
|

Originally Posted by scm
If you have any sense, you won't go though this one quickly!
Therein lies the issue - I have little sense. Haha. Considering that I got bored of my new Aston Martin Vantage and immediately prior to getting the Jag, my R8 V10 Spyder in a year's time, I hope it's different with the F Type but I am not going to kid myself. I do plan to not get rid of the F Type until I can justify something super special like a Lambo or something along the lines, so let's see. Haha.

The following users liked this post:
scm (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023 | 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
I had my 2021 F Type in for the free scheduled maintenance a few weeks ago. The service technician reset the service interval for 16,000 miles. I'm only putting a few thousand miles a year on the car as it is a fair weather fun driver only. If the car was out of warranty I would change the oil and filter every 5000 miles. No way would I extend it to the recommended 16,000 oil change intervals recommended in the owners manual. I changed the factory fill oil myself at around the 1250 mile mark by using a Mityvac and the cost of the special Castrol Edge Professional 0W-20 oil and a factory filter was around $120.

Regarding checking the oil level, the mention of having to open the hood only pertained to the process of changing the readout from average to real time. Once you have chosen the method, you don't need to open the hood, you just check it with the ignition in the ACC position either cold, or about 30 minutes after engine shutdown.

What I'd really like to see would be some kind of aftermarket dipstick, maybe some kind of small diameter flexible cable that is calibrated by length to measure the oil in the sump by feeding it down the center tube in the oil fill hole with a cap on the end that fits over where the standard cap fits.

Too bad the engineers at JLR didn't design in a conventional dipstick. I guess a feature that had been around for the last hundred years and worked fine was seen as obsolete.
This has come up a few times before and the bottom line is it can't be done, the oil extraction tube has far too many tight bends in it for any "dipstick" type cable to get down it to the bottom of the sump.