F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy...Questions About That Glorious Exhaust Note??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 05:07 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Default New Guy...Questions About That Glorious Exhaust Note??

Hi Everyone,
New guy here and I've been eyeing an F-Type coupe for some time now and recently test drove them on New Year's Day.

I've been a BMW Fanboy for years and started a recent Thread over on the Bimmer Forums which I'll just copy here to save myself from retyping. Here's the entire Thread discussion is anyone is interested: Test drove Jaguar F-Type - want a car that sounds like an R

What I really want to know from you experienced guys, is why did the F-Type S coupe I drove not sound like those great YT video reviews, like this one:
Is there a difference between model years with the exhaust and/or EU vs NA markets?

So yesterday I decided to go to Jaguar and test drive the F-Type. IMHO, this car is sex. I love the exterior design and I found the interior not to be as cheap/rental as some reviews have described--although it could be better for the price point.

I arrive early, just as they were opening, and a young sales man greets me as I exit my M4. I tell him I'm interested in the F-Type and he is eager to take me out. The guy appeared to be an enthusiast, and him loving my car made me like him even more--lol. However, he really knew nothing about the product he was selling. For example, he didn't know the F-Type came with adaptive damping or that the car weighed relatively heavy for a two-seat coupe--"it's not heavy, it's made out of aluminum"--WTH!

Anyway, I tell him I want to test drive a rear-wheel drive coupe. He pulls up and I'm in awe of the shear beauty and sound of this thing. Unfortunately, he tags along on my spirited drive, but something just didn't feel right. It was cold, and with the summer rubber, I didn't want to start my New Year off around a tree, so maybe I wasn't riding her hard, but I wasn't able to get the tail out and the sound that I have fallen in love with was a bit too muted--even with the sport exhaust in dynamic mode (open). Overall, it was a nice place to be, and I'm sure I would of had more fun if it was warmer and I didn't want to see the contents of the kid's stomach from his partying the night before all over the passenger seat. Despite only working at the dealership/Jaguar for 6 weeks, the guy could tell I was lukewarm and recommended we take out an R-coupe. He tells me the videos and reviews of the "S" I probably watched sounded much better than in reality, and often what I'm hearing was probably the R-version. Not sure I agree with the sound "voice-overs," but hell, I'm game about taking out an R! As I pull up to the dealership and get out, I walk around the car again to admire the beauty, and noticed the damn thing is an AWD version--duh--on both of us. One, for him not even knowing his product; and two, for me not being able to tell immediately!

He then retrieves a pre-owned '15 F-Type R coupe with rear-wheel drive. Immediately as he pulls up, the sound of this thing plants a ginormous grin on my cold face! This one is it! The look, sound, and potential performance have me excited, despite knowing the price. I get in and he tells me to stomp on the pedal. I swear it sounded like I was in the pits of Le Mans. Also reminded me of the Baltimore Grand Prix a few years back and watching those C6 ZR1 Corvettes downshift around the circuit. Glorious!!! The sound was incredible!!! I pull out of the dealership, and the rear end immediately wants to play. What a car! It was a blast! And again, that sound!!! I mean really, that sound!!! The drive was too short, but I loved it! However, the price of admission was too steep. And if I was seriously considering that price point, I would obviously have to consider the competition.

But this gets me to my point...the sound. One of the few things I dislike about my F82, is the sound, besides the size. I will admit it, and I'm a BMW fan boy, I am disappointed by both the cold start lawn mower noise and the synthetic/artificial sound when driving hard. I want my next car to sound like that Jag, but provide me with the overall performance/value of my current M4. So what would folks recommend for this short list???

Below is a pic of the S version. I totally forgot to take pics of the R after the drive as I was too busy listening to him park it in the lot.

Attached Thumbnails New Guy...Questions About That Glorious Exhaust Note??-img_2915-2-.jpg   New Guy...Questions About That Glorious Exhaust Note??-img_2916.jpg  
Old 01-03-2016, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Obviously, the car in the video is indeed a V6S, and the the sound in the video does not do the car justice. I too was initially disappointed in the sound when I first acquired the car. The sound really didn't come alive until it had about 1500 miles on it. Of course, the V6 will only have 75% of the drama of the V8, but it's still wicked.

Go test drive a used V6. You won't be disappointed. (btw, leave the windows open)

Old 01-03-2016, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
and the the sound in the video does not do the car justice
Really? Hell, this video is what made me fall in love with that exhaust note.
Had the V6S I test drove the other day sounded like this video, I likely would have driven home with it.

Makes sense about the exhaust needing time/miles to break in. But now I made the mistake and test drove an R and I still can't stop smiling thinking about it! The dealer has a pre-owned '15 Type R for $86k which apparently can still be leased (albeit with terrible rates no doubt). Not a deal breaker, but also the maintenance is not included.

BTW, does this site, or another Jag Forum, have a sub forum related to current residuals/MF, rebates, etc..? I was sort of blind walking into the dealership the other day.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kief
Really? Hell, this video is what made me fall in love with that exhaust note.
Had the V6S I test drove the other day sounded like this video, I likely would have driven home with it.

Makes sense about the exhaust needing time/miles to break in. But now I made the mistake and test drove an R and I still can't stop smiling thinking about it! The dealer has a pre-owned '15 Type R for $86k which apparently can still be leased (albeit with terrible rates no doubt). Not a deal breaker, but also the maintenance is not included.

BTW, does this site, or another Jag Forum, have a sub forum related to current residuals/MF, rebates, etc..? I was sort of blind walking into the dealership the other day.
Here's my thoughts: If you are a manual transmission fanatic like me, get a new V6S. If you don't care or were planning on an automatic transmission anyway, get a used R for the same price.

Regarding financing, run a "lease" search in this F-Type forum. Lots of threads discussing all aspects of borrowing and leasing.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

If you want to get the full effect of the exhaust notes - get a 'vert! It's like getting an amp with a volume control that goes to 11. (Props to ST)

I fell in love with the F-Type early on, but waited because I thought I'd prefer the coupe. But, when the time came, I ended up going with the convertible. NO regrets. It's an extra notch of fun.

Last edited by uncheel; 01-03-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
If you want to get the full effect of the exhaust notes - get a 'vert!

I fell in love with the F-Type early on, but waited because I thought I'd prefer the coupe. But, when the time came, I ended up going with the convertible. NO regrets. It's an extra notch of fun.
+1. Sound is dramatically amplified in the convertible. When I drove a coupe for the first time, I was amazed at how much more muted it sounded.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:03 AM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

+ 2. Every time I drive mine I get a woody, and if the weather is good enough for a top-down drive I have a little accident. But seriously, definitely better sound with the vert. Be a little patient, save a little more $$ buy a CPO car in 6 months.

As for the sales person, they are almost always clueless. I have never met a sales person that really knew much about the car they were trying to sell me. Good news is they usually realize they know less about it and start asking ME questions about it.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:53 AM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Agreed. Get a convertible and drive through s tunnel for full effect.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:37 AM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

The one thing I've learnt is that the V6 sounds much better from the outside than the inside. The car is a proper GT car and while you do hear a lot of the sounds, next time drive with the windows open and you'll hear the sound from the video.

If you really want to hear it roar like crazy with the windows up put a Quicksilver exhaust on it.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:28 PM

Thanks guys for all your comments.

As much I as I hear you (no pun intended) about the vert, I'm just absolutely in love with the coupe version.

Since no one has commented on any suspect changes between the model years and/or markets, I must take that to me that the V6S exhaust (or really any version/car for that matter) comes to life once it breaks in. With 12k+ miles on my M4 I must still be waiting--LOL.

So what do folks think is a fair price for the following '15 Type R with 1280 miles, listed for $86k? I forget what the guy told me was the original msrp. And it's not CPO which I negotiate for. Was the "owner's car"--is this Jag-speak for demo?!?!?:

Attached Thumbnails New Guy...Questions About That Glorious Exhaust Note??-img_2948.png   New Guy...Questions About That Glorious Exhaust Note??-img_2949.png   New Guy...Questions About That Glorious Exhaust Note??-img_2950.png  
Old 01-03-2016, 12:46 PM

Hey guys,
Any feedback on the following comment which was posted on my Thread over on the Bimmer Forum? Are the RWD F-Types a concern?

The F-Type is pure WIN! However I believe Motor Trend did a long term review of this car (RWD version) and had major concerns with traction in the rain. Here is a quick excerpt of that article. I think this may be why all new versions are AWD.

From Motor Trend:

"Collectively, we Motor Trenders have lovingly complained about the F-Type’s tail-happy nature simply because those moments are controllable. And fun. And in dry conditions. But almost wiping out while cruising in a straight line over an inch of water is simply not cool. Some might say unacceptable. Perhaps it was just a bad spot on the freeway? Nope. The tank-slappy, fail tailonics happened all over town. Even moderate pedal-pushing led to the rear end sliding around. The last time I experienced this sort of new-car wet-weather poor behavior was driving ye olde Corvette ZR1 on essentially slicks (fine, ZR1-specific Michelin Pilot Sport Cups) down from Laguna Seca raceway during a storm. Bad company.

I don’t get it. In my mind it rains 300 days a year in England, the land where the F-Type hails from. One would think that wet-weather handling would be a front-of-mind priority. Apparently not. The easy cop-out would be to say, “But, Jonny, it’s a sports car. You’re not supposed to drive it in the rain.” To which I say, “Porsche 911.” And not the AWD porkers either. The regular-flavor rear-wheel-drive 911s — the very car the F-Type is supposed to compete with — handles near flawlessly in wet conditions. Are the F-Type’s summer tires, Pirelli P Zeros, to blame? No, because P Zeros are standard on 911s. Frustrating and ultimately disappointing. But, hey, there’s no more rain scheduled in the City of Angels until 2016…"

Old 01-03-2016, 01:37 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

On rain mode, I've been fine so far. Obviously the MY16 AWDs are lot better in inclement weather.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

I agree you should be mindful when it's raining. I view that mostly as a function of the wide tires, power, and RWD (for those that have it) together with a front-mounted engine. My VR4 (similar HP and tires, but AWD) and 911 (lower power, rear engine, smaller tires) are both better in wet, but I don't see the F-Type as deficient. It's less about manufacturer and more about physics. Meanwhile, the Jag has a Rain&Snow button; it works pretty well in weather (and for valets).

Old 01-03-2016, 03:09 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

The V6 definitely does make the noise you hear in the video you posted (all model years), although it's best once it's warmed up a little. If it has the auto box, it needs to be in manual mode, then any time you lift off above 3.5k rpm or higher, it'll pop and crackle very nicely.

If you keep it pinned, the upshifts will give a bit of a bwaarpp noise (some have unkindly labelled it a fart, I wish I could fart like that!).

As for rain, I did a 100-mile trip only the other day in absolutely torrential rain, it really was horrible....I should have backed off more than I did but I still regularly hit 80+ and the car was nothing but rock solid...this was even without putting it in rain mode (which basically dials the throttle response right back).

At one point, in a 40 zone, I hit a big patch of water that I hadn't seen...I needed new trousers afterwards as I wasn't expecting, however the car itself didn't even flinch and just carried on, which was very reassuring.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainHam
The V6 definitely does make the noise you hear in the video you posted (all model years), although it's best once it's warmed up a little. If it has the auto box, it needs to be in manual mode, then any time you lift off above 3.5k rpm or higher, it'll pop and crackle very nicely.

If you keep it pinned, the upshifts will give a bit of a bwaarpp noise (some have unkindly labelled it a fart, I wish I could fart like that!).

As for rain, I did a 100-mile trip only the other day in absolutely torrential rain, it really was horrible....I should have backed off more than I did but I still regularly hit 80+ and the car was nothing but rock solid...this was even without putting it in rain mode (which basically dials the throttle response right back).

At one point, in a 40 zone, I hit a big patch of water that I hadn't seen...I needed new trousers afterwards as I wasn't expecting, however the car itself didn't even flinch and just carried on, which was very reassuring.
Thanks Captain

I'm actually embarrassed to mention this, but when test driving the V6S, I never used manual mode! Now I feel like an idiot! The V6S was the first one I drove, and with the Type R, I immediately heard the glory, even in auto mode.

And just to be very clear, I want those crackles and farts!!!

Old 01-03-2016, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

And just to be very clear, I want those crackles and farts!!!
Now if you really want crackle and farts at will , get an MT. Just depress the clutch and rev the engine (or downshift...or upshift...or...)

Old 01-03-2016, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Thanks guys for all your comments.

As much I as I hear you (no pun intended) about the vert, I'm just absolutely in love with the coupe version.

Since no one has commented on any suspect changes between the model years and/or markets, I must take that to me that the V6S exhaust (or really any version/car for that matter) comes to life once it breaks in. With 12k+ miles on my M4 I must still be waiting--LOL.

So what do folks think is a fair price for the following '15 Type R with 1280 miles, listed for $86k? I forget what the guy told me was the original msrp. And it's not CPO which I negotiate for. Was the "owner's car"--is this Jag-speak for demo?!?!?:
Many of us here were/are also in love with the coupe and make no mistake; even before the break-in period the V6S (as I'm sure even the basic 6 is) is anything but demure. Windows up or down (down is always best). I do concur that it does get a bit beefier after putting on some miles but the smiles will be there long before even that occurs.

You'll not go "wrong' with any version of the F-Type in my opinion (and in any color variation either) and I wish you good luck in your quest, wherever it may lead.

RJ52

Last edited by RickyJay52; 01-03-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:40 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

The V6S was the first one I drove, and with the Type R, I immediately heard the glory, even in auto mode.
The V8 is definitely more satanic/***** out, but the V6 auto really needs Sport mode (pushing gear shift to left once in D) then Dynamic mode...this gives full manual control (i.e., won't auto upshift even if it hits the limiter, although it will still auto downshift if revs get too low), then you can drive it in a way similar to how Unhingd describes the true manual version.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Now if you really want crackle and farts at will , get an MT. Just depress the clutch and rev the engine (or downshift...or upshift...or...)
I hear ya...this dealership does have a '16 V6S manual in my preferred white over camel (forget the name). I'm sure they would be willing to be more aggressive with the price given the trans vs what I imagine is the typical Jag driver (auto)

Old 01-03-2016, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

I hear ya...this dealership does have a '16 V6S manual in my preferred white over camel (forget the name). I'm sure they would be willing to be more aggressive with the price given the trans vs what I imagine is the typical Jag driver (auto)
Sounds like a plan to me. GO FOR IT (THAT).

Quick Reply: New Guy...Questions About That Glorious Exhaust Note??