F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy...Questions About That Glorious Exhaust Note??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016 | 07:05 PM

Other members feel free to correct me, but is there a chance that the one in the video had the sport exhaust and it was open and maybe the one you test drove did not or it wasn't activated?

Although my V8 car is much different, I noticed a big change in exhaust note depending on how much throttle is used and how much load is on the motor. The car didn't make too much noise on the test drive, but when I got it near a wall or in a tunnel with more than half throttle and mid way through a gear, it really made some pleasing sounds

Originally Posted by Kief
Hi Everyone,
New guy here and I've been eyeing an F-Type coupe for some time now and recently test drove them on New Year's Day.

I've been a BMW Fanboy for years and started a recent Thread over on the Bimmer Forums which I'll just copy here to save myself from retyping. Here's the entire Thread discussion is anyone is interested: Test drove Jaguar F-Type - want a car that sounds like an R

What I really want to know from you experienced guys, is why did the F-Type S coupe I drove not sound like those great YT video reviews, like this one: Jaguar F-Type Coupe: The Best V6 Exhaust Note In History - YouTube
Is there a difference between model years with the exhaust and/or EU vs NA markets?

So yesterday I decided to go to Jaguar and test drive the F-Type. IMHO, this car is sex. I love the exterior design and I found the interior not to be as cheap/rental as some reviews have described--although it could be better for the price point.

I arrive early, just as they were opening, and a young sales man greets me as I exit my M4. I tell him I'm interested in the F-Type and he is eager to take me out. The guy appeared to be an enthusiast, and him loving my car made me like him even more--lol. However, he really knew nothing about the product he was selling. For example, he didn't know the F-Type came with adaptive damping or that the car weighed relatively heavy for a two-seat coupe--"it's not heavy, it's made out of aluminum"--WTH!

Anyway, I tell him I want to test drive a rear-wheel drive coupe. He pulls up and I'm in awe of the shear beauty and sound of this thing. Unfortunately, he tags along on my spirited drive, but something just didn't feel right. It was cold, and with the summer rubber, I didn't want to start my New Year off around a tree, so maybe I wasn't riding her hard, but I wasn't able to get the tail out and the sound that I have fallen in love with was a bit too muted--even with the sport exhaust in dynamic mode (open). Overall, it was a nice place to be, and I'm sure I would of had more fun if it was warmer and I didn't want to see the contents of the kid's stomach from his partying the night before all over the passenger seat. Despite only working at the dealership/Jaguar for 6 weeks, the guy could tell I was lukewarm and recommended we take out an R-coupe. He tells me the videos and reviews of the "S" I probably watched sounded much better than in reality, and often what I'm hearing was probably the R-version. Not sure I agree with the sound "voice-overs," but hell, I'm game about taking out an R! As I pull up to the dealership and get out, I walk around the car again to admire the beauty, and noticed the damn thing is an AWD version--duh--on both of us. One, for him not even knowing his product; and two, for me not being able to tell immediately!

He then retrieves a pre-owned '15 F-Type R coupe with rear-wheel drive. Immediately as he pulls up, the sound of this thing plants a ginormous grin on my cold face! This one is it! The look, sound, and potential performance have me excited, despite knowing the price. I get in and he tells me to stomp on the pedal. I swear it sounded like I was in the pits of Le Mans. Also reminded me of the Baltimore Grand Prix a few years back and watching those C6 ZR1 Corvettes downshift around the circuit. Glorious!!! The sound was incredible!!! I pull out of the dealership, and the rear end immediately wants to play. What a car! It was a blast! And again, that sound!!! I mean really, that sound!!! The drive was too short, but I loved it! However, the price of admission was too steep. And if I was seriously considering that price point, I would obviously have to consider the competition.

But this gets me to my point...the sound. One of the few things I dislike about my F82, is the sound, besides the size. I will admit it, and I'm a BMW fan boy, I am disappointed by both the cold start lawn mower noise and the synthetic/artificial sound when driving hard. I want my next car to sound like that Jag, but provide me with the overall performance/value of my current M4. So what would folks recommend for this short list???

Below is a pic of the S version. I totally forgot to take pics of the R after the drive as I was too busy listening to him park it in the lot.

Old 01-03-2016 | 07:10 PM

Thanks guys for all your comments.

As much I as I hear you (no pun intended) about the vert, I'm just absolutely in love with the coupe version.

Since no one has commented on any suspect changes between the model years and/or markets, I must take that to me that the V6S exhaust (or really any version/car for that matter) comes to life once it breaks in. With 12k+ miles on my M4 I must still be waiting--LOL.

So what do folks think is a fair price for the following '15 Type R with 1280 miles, listed for $86k? I forget what the guy told me was the original msrp. And it's not CPO which I negotiate for. Was the "owner's car"--is this Jag-speak for demo?!?!?:
If the car has never been titled before, it can be leased as if it was a brand new car with the same rates. The car I got was supposedly "an owner's car" too and I leased it with a better rate than a new car with 11 miles of the lot. Also first service free. I would not buy the car but a 3 year lease/rental should be fine. You can prob negotiate the money factor (interest) down to almost nothing too.

Old 01-03-2016 | 07:59 PM

If you have concerns about the RWD vs AWD I'd recommend taking them both out for a long drive and seeing which you prefer.

I did that recently and went with the AWD, but I know lots on this forum have chosen the opposite (and with good reason). It's all in your personal taste, which you won't know perfectly until you drive both options.

Old 01-03-2016 | 08:04 PM

Thanks guys for all your comments.

As much I as I hear you (no pun intended) about the vert, I'm just absolutely in love with the coupe version.

Since no one has commented on any suspect changes between the model years and/or markets, I must take that to me that the V6S exhaust (or really any version/car for that matter) comes to life once it breaks in. With 12k+ miles on my M4 I must still be waiting--LOL.

So what do folks think is a fair price for the following '15 Type R with 1280 miles, listed for $86k? I forget what the guy told me was the original msrp. And it's not CPO which I negotiate for. Was the "owner's car"--is this Jag-speak for demo?!?!?:
$86k for that car seems like a pretty good deal. I got mine (not CPO) for around this price 4 months ago. It had around 5000 miles on it at the time. So it would be hard to not jump on this.

I've driven both the AWD and the RWD versions on a track, and while the AWD is freaking awesome... to me its way more fun to get the *** end out. Something that was not possible on the AWD at all. Depends on how you feel though. I came from the Corvette and I was pretty used to that feeling. It's pretty fun to nail the throttle in the rain and not have it break loose at all, but I think more fun to break the tires loose on dry pavement ;-)

Best of luck!

Last edited by speedhacks; 01-03-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2016 | 08:44 PM

I disagree that the Coupe doesn't have full benefit. Today I drove 500 miles to the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and at a couple points, I chose to close the pipes because the resonance was getting etched as an ear worm in my psyche...love it...but after hours, I needed a break.

I did however get a thumbs up (at 80mph) from a couple of young girls from Texas who passed me. Later, I wound up passing them at (let's say a very very high speed) when the field opened up and I'm certain it sounded really good to them!

Old 01-03-2016 | 08:44 PM
BMo

I believe Motor Trend did a long term review of this car (RWD version) and had major concerns with traction in the rain.
Well yeah...so did my AWD 996 Turbo. But I kept summer tyres on all year. Makes it real easy and real fun to swing the rear end out though, and a lot easier on the rubber!

Old 01-04-2016 | 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by gfalgiano
Other members feel free to correct me, but is there a chance that the one in the video had the sport exhaust and it was open and maybe the one you test drove did not or it wasn't activated?
Yeah good point actually, it could've been a base model without the active exhaust. Personally I'd always recommend a car with the switchable exhaust, then you can decide each time based on your mood!

Old 01-04-2016 | 06:57 AM
|

Hey Guys,
Just to clarify a few earlier comments.

I drove 2 F-Types on New Years Day: an AWD S and a RWD R ('15).
The S definitely had the active exhaust, and was open in dynamic mode during the test drive. But as Captain noted above, it likely would have sounded better had I had in manual mode.

I prefer RWD, as a BMW fan boy, all of my Bimmers have been RWD aside from my wife's X5/3s. From my first post, I note how I was disappointed when taking out the S (AWD) that I could not break the tail--the sales guy was suppose to retrieve an S from the lot, but mistakenly got an AWD and we didn't realize it until after the test drive. The R was a completely different animal and I loved it!!! The Motor Trend comment was from a guy over on the BMW Forums who questioned the stability during inclement weather and I wanted to gain this Forum's thoughts as you folks are obviously more educated.

Old 01-04-2016 | 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

The Motor Trend comment was from a guy over on the BMW Forums who questioned the stability during inclement weather and I wanted to gain this Forum's thoughts as you folks are obviously more educated.
Somebody on a bimmer forum calling an RWD F-Type squirrely? Isn't that like the pot calling the kettle black?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wClYhdiCSHs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-04-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-04-2016 | 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

And even on dry pavement:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/miA5qj5ergM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In all fairness,this is a result of turbo-lag. Not an issue for us.

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-04-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-04-2016 | 08:34 AM
|

Originally Posted by Unhingd

LOL
Actually, it was a result of his "tire psi" Ha Ha

Old 01-04-2016 | 08:52 AM

The beauty of having grown up in Alabama is that I'm Ok with putting my ignorance right out there...so, my question: what exactly is turbo lag and how did it make that happen? I don't understand how that happened?

Old 01-04-2016 | 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lookout!
The beauty of having grown up in Alabama is that I'm Ok with putting my ignorance right out there...so, my question: what exactly is turbo lag and how did it make that happen? I don't understand how that happened?
Since turbos use exhaust gases to spin the turbine, there is a delay until exhaust gas pressure builds up enough to create extra power. Thus, there is often a noticeable lag between asking for more power and getting it.

The effect of that lag is that it can catch you off guard if you've buried the throttle, you're under control, and a second or so later, the big power comes on, and you've lost control.

Superchargers are engine crank driven so there is considerably less lag.

Old 01-04-2016 | 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh
The effect of that lag is that it can catch you off guard if you've buried the throttle, you're under control, and a second or so later, the big power comes on, and you've lost control.
Are you saying, it kicked it in...but didn't "hold on tight?"

Old 01-04-2016 | 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

LOL
Actually, it was a result of his "tire psi" Ha Ha
I'm gonna go with "bad judgment compounded by ineptitude." Jalopnik has dubbed him the Asshat M4 Driver. That's just across town from me at a Cars & Coffee. Because of his knuckleheadedness the event was shut down for a while. I didn't go yesterday, mainly because I didn't feel like going out that early.

Old 01-04-2016 | 10:41 AM
BMo

+1

Hey Guys,
Just to clarify a few earlier comments.

I was disappointed when taking out the S (AWD) that I could not break the tail--
Interesting. I have not driven an S but I have no problem at all getting the back end of my AWD R to wag. The extra torque must be all that's making the difference.

Old 01-04-2016 | 11:14 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

The S definitely had the active exhaust, and was open in dynamic mode during the test drive...

Note that all S's have active exhaust, but not all have switchable active exhaust (mine doesn't.)

Old 01-04-2016 | 01:06 PM
|

So I decided to go to another Jag dealership...and you guys were right...put the V6S in sport with the open exhaust and it's music to the ears!!! Although less intoxicating than the R, I definitely heard it unlike my initial drive. And this one today was also a V6S AWD.

However, I was feeling lucky, and I just know I'm going to win the Powerball on Wednesday, so I signed the paperwork for this beauty! I pick it up....

never j/k

Attached Thumbnails New Guy...Questions About That Glorious Exhaust Note??-img_2957.jpg   New Guy...Questions About That Glorious Exhaust Note??-img_2958.jpg   New Guy...Questions About That Glorious Exhaust Note??-img_2959.jpg  
Old 01-04-2016 | 01:08 PM
|

All kidding aside. I did enjoy my second test drive of the V6S AWD. She looks good next to my M

I also took time to test drive this little cannoli! Thoughts? I know, I can't make my mind up about anything. 2 completely different cars. I really enjoyed the Alfa and I was offered a killer deal! I just worry it would get old real quick...

Attached Thumbnails New Guy...Questions About That Glorious Exhaust Note??-img_2960.jpg   New Guy...Questions About That Glorious Exhaust Note??-img_2961.jpg   New Guy...Questions About That Glorious Exhaust Note??-img_2951.jpg   New Guy...Questions About That Glorious Exhaust Note??-img_2952.jpg   New Guy...Questions About That Glorious Exhaust Note??-img_2953.jpg  

New Guy...Questions About That Glorious Exhaust Note??-img_2955.jpg   New Guy...Questions About That Glorious Exhaust Note??-img_2956.jpg  

Last edited by Kief; 01-04-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-04-2016 | 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Default Sorry R owners...

The 8s may be louder, but the 6s sound so much sweeter:

<iframe width="1068" height="641" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I2GEEkXL87Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The following users liked this post:
Arne (01-05-2016)

Quick Reply: New Guy...Questions About That Glorious Exhaust Note??