F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Infotainment System?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 09:20 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default New Infotainment System?

Just read about a teaser for the new XE Infotainment System. Hope it finds its way into the F-Type for 2016.
http://wot.motortrend.com/1408_jagua...ed_wvideo.html

The following users liked this post:
alexg (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sweet

Old 08-20-2014, 06:59 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default New F-Type Option

With Jaguar InControl™ Apps you can enjoy vehicle optimized smartphone apps through the in-car touch-screen. The InControl Apps USB port connects you to a world of vehicle optimized apps such as: Contacts, Calendar and Music Player, with more exciting third party apps being released over time to enhance your connected car experience. Your smartphone will also be re-charged while using Jaguar InControl™ Apps.

You can order this now. No heads up display and fewer features but same idea.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

The currently supported list of apps that works with incontrol is fairly small and limited to a bunch of no-name apps. Also, the usb port that is used for incontrol is separate from the usb port used for music streaming, so you have to move the cable between ports. I have the option on my car and the implementation is a complete failure. I would wait for CarPlay support instead of getting InControl.

DuhCar (08-21-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by another_geek
The currently supported list of apps that works with incontrol is fairly small and limited to a bunch of no-name apps. Also, the usb port that is used for incontrol is separate from the usb port used for music streaming, so you have to move the cable between ports. I have the option on my car and the implementation is a complete failure. I would wait for CarPlay support instead of getting InControl.
I dont Carplay is coming anytime soon to any major manufacturer. They basically each have their own IT teams that they dont want to make redundant so they'll keep pushing out their own solutions. I wouldnt hold out for Android Auto or Carplay anytime soon (though I'd love to be proven wrong since I think those solutions are so much better than car manufacturers can do themselves)

As far as InControl with JustDrive, the latest version looks to be as close to Carplay as they can make it. Most of them are no-name apps, but at the end of the day people just want different music streaming options and a good nav. Atleast intouch will support Spotify going forward with album art.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

The first Carplay systems are already arriving as are the earliest vehicles with it. Jaguar (and Land Rover) is a confirmed Carplay partner so we should see the feature on future Jags.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by swajames
The first Carplay systems are already arriving as are the earliest vehicles with it. Jaguar (and Land Rover) is a confirmed Carplay partner so we should see the feature on future Jags.
which cars are you talking about? I havent seen anything other than a Pioneer OEM system. As for Jaguar, I'll believe it when I see it. They wouldnt be putting as much effort into JustDrive/InfoApps if they were just going to use carplay instead.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:10 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I agree...no way they would be putting in that much effort and money if CarPlay was around the corner....

I think InControl with JustDrive has a lot of potential. They need to aggressively build the app catalog though.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:18 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by f_in_seattle
which cars are you talking about? I havent seen anything other than a Pioneer OEM system. .
Hyundai has CarPlay available

http://www.pcworld.com/article/28514...ai-sonata.html

F-typical (09-22-2015)
Old 11-25-2014, 06:08 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by another_geek
Say it ain't so......

Old 11-25-2014, 07:10 AM

I saw those articles too. Is that Hyundai available to buy right now? Can I got to a dealership and purchase a carplay car today, the answer is no!

Manufacturers can do tech demos all day long but till they actually bring it to market I wont believe them. Ask yourself, why would jaguar make its own in house solution thats probably slightly worse than carplay and android auto if they were just going to use either one of those solutions?

Old 11-25-2014, 08:53 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I saw those articles too. Is that Hyundai available to buy right now? Can I got to a dealership and purchase a carplay car today, the answer is no!

Manufacturers can do tech demos all day long but till they actually bring it to market I wont believe them. Ask yourself, why would jaguar make its own in house solution thats probably slightly worse than carplay and android auto if they were just going to use either one of those solutions?
The technology is still being incorporated industry wide. Things take awhile in the car world unfortunately. I know future UConnects in the Chrysler/Fiat line will have the ability to Carplay. They have the known industry golden standard of the car infotainment center yet are still going to introduce carplay. It doesn't replace the manufactures system, rather adds the option on the side to load it up along side of their product. Some people will use it, some won't.

Btw, Ferrari's come with carplay if you want it right now.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by undfeatable
The technology is still being incorporated industry wide. Things take awhile in the car world unfortunately. I know future UConnects in the Chrysler/Fiat line will have the ability to Carplay. They have the known industry golden standard of the car infotainment center yet are still going to introduce carplay. It doesn't replace the manufactures system, rather adds the option on the side to load it up along side of their product. Some people will use it, some won't.

Btw, Ferrari's come with carplay if you want it right now.
Full disclosure, I work in the tech industry and have worked in companies that we're talking about here and have friends who have been trying to push carplay for over a year now, the manufacturers dont want to give up that control which is why they are so hesitant so adopt this sort of stuff. Why would jaguar invest 3 Million dollars in Portland on a tech center to develop arguably a slightly inferior version of carplay and android auto. It doesnt really make sense to my friends who've been working on these projects and it doesnt make any sense to me either.

Glad the 1000 or so people who buy Ferrari's get to use it though, really happy they invest their R&D dollars into making a kick *** car and leave the tech to Apple. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it in my future F-Type, but doubt it'll actually ever happen.

undfeatable (11-25-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 10:07 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Full disclosure, I work in the tech industry and have worked in companies that we're talking about here and have friends who have been trying to push carplay for over a year now, the manufacturers dont want to give up that control which is why they are so hesitant so adopt this sort of stuff. Why would jaguar invest 3 Million dollars in Portland on a tech center to develop arguably a slightly inferior version of carplay and android auto. It doesnt really make sense to my friends who've been working on these projects and it doesnt make any sense to me either.

Glad the 1000 or so people who buy Ferrari's get to use it though, really happy they invest their R&D dollars into making a kick *** car and leave the tech to Apple. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it in my future F-Type, but doubt it'll actually ever happen.
Which you bring up an amazing point. The companies spend all this time and money on the tech side of things when its not needed! Why not let the companies that make the devices that every person has in their pocket make the software for your car to process the data from the phone!? It just doesn't make sense!

Old 09-21-2015, 02:11 PM
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Does anyone know if we can retrofit the new Pioneer systems with CarPlay / Android Auto into our F Types?

Old 09-21-2015, 02:46 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ss23
Does anyone know if we can retrofit the new Pioneer systems with CarPlay / Android Auto into our F Types?
I'm not sure that anyone here will have a definitive answer, but I am 99.9% sure that it isn't possible. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised though since I'd pay quite a bit to have CarPlay in my FTR.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:57 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ss23
Unfortunately, no.

The hardware has to be certified by Apple/Google to support CarPlay/Android Auto.

Apple/Google could retroactively certify it with JLR's permission, but it would require significant software changes to the system and possible development of new chipset/toolchain support. If the Pioneer system is using a chipset/toolchain that is already certified, then the process would be much easier and cost effective.

However, I don't see any benefit to Jaguar to have the system certified, when they can use future support as leverage to convince you to upgrade to a newer model vehicle with built-in support from the factory. I'd imagine any resources invested in certifying the system would be saved for future models exclusively.

Last edited by BierNut; 09-21-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:26 AM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

With enough money you can do anything. Basically to make this work you'd need to find someplace else to mount the head unit (maybe under the arm rest) and then redo the sound system to connect it to the new head unit. That way you'd preserve your console functions and you'd likely stop using the Jaguar nav in favor of the Pioneer navigation. I did this with my old XKR, which was far easier, by relocating one of the control panels to the arm rest. I likely have something like $25K in the sound system upgrade alone but it sound amazing. But an even more integrated unit comes with far more risks so it is far safer to just bypass it and not try to upgrade it in place.