F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Jaguar Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2024 | 06:55 AM
|
Default New Jaguar Coupe

Jaguar has changed plans. Originally they were going to build a 4-door sedan and two SUVs. Those plans have changed. Now they are going to build a 4-door sedan, SUV and a coupe similar to the Bentley Continental. The coupe will have four seats.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar...ar-luxury-line

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (10-24-2024)
Old 10-24-2024 | 02:25 PM

The Jaguar plans sound boring! We just replaced my wife’s 2014 XKR with a 2023 Aston Martin F1 Vantage. For now, I’m going to keep my 2020 FType SVR.

We also owned a 2013 XF and have really enjoyed driving all three. And they were very dependable.

It’s really unfortunate the direction Jaguar is going. I doubt we ever buy another one and our dealership is about a mile from our house!

Old 10-25-2024 | 07:15 AM

Just as quickly as I fell in love with buying and owning a Jaguar F-Type, at this point (after selling mine), I don't see myself ever owning another Jaguar. Twas fun while it lasted!

Golfnutjtl (10-25-2024)
Old 10-25-2024 | 09:03 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vitoc
... I don't see myself ever owning another Jaguar.
Me neither - you'll have to prise my F-Type fobs from my cold fingers first!

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
Golfnutjtl (10-26-2024), JgaXkr (10-25-2024)
Old 10-25-2024 | 11:22 AM

I hope those pictures are just concept, because the only thing that makes me think of is Hyundai

Golfnutjtl (10-26-2024)
Old 10-25-2024 | 12:04 PM

I'm curious as to how the next-gen EV Jaguars will look but... I'm not excited for it. I wish them the best of luck tho.

Old 10-26-2024 | 09:23 AM

I can see Jag building a 1,000 HP EV with 400+ miles of range. I've owned a lot of stupid fast cars, the SVR being one of them as an honest 200 MPH car, but my Lucid AGT accelerates from zero or 80 MPH like nothing else I've owned, EV power is addictive.

HyltofWills (Yesterday)
Old 10-26-2024 | 09:38 AM

I cannot get excited about EVs from a car enthusiast perspective at all. I have "romantic" ideas of identifying a car, or cars, of interest and holding them through the years. You can't do this with EVs because they are, by design, nothing more than hunks of battery with built in obsolesce. Not saying that they don't serve a purpose in the modern era, but they do not align with any longstanding long ranging "over time" passion for cars at all. They cannot fill that role. How do you develop a longterm "relationship" with EVs? The answer is you cannot. Period.

If you wanna just turn cars over quick and get your jollies, burn through cash etc...Sure, they will potentially be fine...I'm not completely closed to the idea of having one in some capacity as we move forward, but I will never associate my passion for non A to B cars with EVs. Hybrids perhaps where battery is there to assist with performance...But beyond that, I cannot get there at all.

All this said, we do change our thinking on things as we get on. Maybe I will come around, but I can't see it happening right now.

Old 10-26-2024 | 08:40 PM

I think the rush to EV production will be seen as a mistake in the coming years. My prediction is some of these prestige makes will reverse course and bring back iconic models. The market doesn't want only EVs, that's clear. Government coercion can only go so far. Eventually, we'll see these polices at least partially relaxed or reversed.

The following 3 users liked this post by diablo2112:
Golfnutjtl (10-26-2024), OzXFR (10-26-2024), scm (Yesterday)
Old 10-26-2024 | 11:30 PM

Nah

Old Yesterday | 08:57 AM

My brain sees this as all like a watch -

There are classics and new mechanical masterpieces...and then there are Apple watches and Casio g shocks. The EV is the latter, the ICE is the former.

The latter tell time more accurately. The former have a silly romance that feels more human.

I like my ICE for now. If they get an EV which can charge in 5 minutes (or say we have fuel cell swaps at gas stations with a standard, safe format....like a can of soda...), and it is fun to drive.....could do it. What kills me is the time to charge and lack of infrastructure...and the fact they are like iPads in that they go out of date as tech....lots of issues there too. Who will buy a version 5 apple watch when the new version 10 is now out........so resale/residual value is caput. I see the Taycan as a warning...but perhaps I'll buy a used one...wonder what the cost to replace a battery is though...might cost more than the car is worth.

scm (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 11:49 AM

For the vast majority, their vehicle is like a washing machine that everybody else can see. Imagine the type of washers people would have if this were really the case! EVs prove that there is a lot more to picking your ride than empirical evidence. Although an EV might make sense if you use your car lightly and locally, even for these folks, the end game [as mentioned above] appears ugly. After all, who is going to want your ten to fifteen years old EV? It is [therefore] a disposable item...not very environmentally friendly in the long run [but that's ok for now for those virtue signaling].

Car enthusiasts, on the other hand, cannot possible see anything of interest in these battery powered vehicles. Even if you could go 0-60 in .1 seconds, so what? There's a great deal more to a great car than acceleration. And as a matter of pure speculation, I would believe this to be at the bottom of the list of the most important characteristics to car folks. Although thrilling on occasion, pretending you are at Atco Dragway seems like a teenage kind of thing in order to garner attention. God knows that once in a while I will succumb to my younger self and let her rip!

The most important lesson to be learned here is that anytime the government gets involved in an industry to this degree [using incentives and the like] to manipulate the market, the result is generally not so wonderful. The place that democracy works the best is in the marketplace of commodities and ideas. The more you can prevent the corruption of these markets [by governments, corporations, and other large interest groups], the better life will be for all concerned.

Last edited by synthesis; Yesterday at 11:50 AM.
scm (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by DMeister
I cannot get excited about EVs from a car enthusiast perspective at all. I have "romantic" ideas of identifying a car, or cars, of interest and holding them through the years. You can't do this with EVs because they are, by design, nothing more than hunks of battery with built in obsolesce. Not saying that they don't serve a purpose in the modern era, but they do not align with any longstanding long ranging "over time" passion for cars at all. They cannot fill that role. How do you develop a longterm "relationship" with EVs? The answer is you cannot. Period.

If you wanna just turn cars over quick and get your jollies, burn through cash etc...Sure, they will potentially be fine...I'm not completely closed to the idea of having one in some capacity as we move forward, but I will never associate my passion for non A to B cars with EVs. Hybrids perhaps where battery is there to assist with performance...But beyond that, I cannot get there at all.

All this said, we do change our thinking on things as we get on. Maybe I will come around, but I can't see it happening right now.
"long term" The same way you do with an ICE, it's a car not a popsicle. How is an EV a cash burn in relationship to an ICE vehicle?

Old Yesterday | 12:22 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SVR 575
"long term" The same way you do with an ICE, it's a car not a popsicle. How is an EV a cash burn in relationship to an ICE vehicle?
I bet you could keep an ICEV going a lot longer than an EV - lots of mechanical parts to renew compared to an obsolete battery and electric motor after a decade. Unless you want to keep changing every few years, of course. And current EVs lose a lot (more than ICEVs) in depreciation, and are a lot more expensive to buy, comparing like for like, or at least similar to similar.

And assuming Elon doesn't disable the car remotely if he thinks you've had it too long!

Old Yesterday | 12:39 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by synthesis
For the vast majority, their vehicle is like a washing machine that everybody else can see. Imagine the type of washers people would have if this were really the case! EVs prove that there is a lot more to picking your ride than empirical evidence. Although an EV might make sense if you use your car lightly and locally, even for these folks, the end game [as mentioned above] appears ugly. After all, who is going to want your ten to fifteen years old EV? It is [therefore] a disposable item...not very environmentally friendly in the long run [but that's ok for now for those virtue signaling].

Car enthusiasts, on the other hand, cannot possible see anything of interest in these battery powered vehicles. Even if you could go 0-60 in .1 seconds, so what? There's a great deal more to a great car than acceleration. And as a matter of pure speculation, I would believe this to be at the bottom of the list of the most important characteristics to car folks. Although thrilling on occasion, pretending you are at Atco Dragway seems like a teenage kind of thing in order to garner attention. God knows that once in a while I will succumb to my younger self and let her rip!

The most important lesson to be learned here is that anytime the government gets involved in an industry to this degree [using incentives and the like] to manipulate the market, the result is generally not so wonderful. The place that democracy works the best is in the marketplace of commodities and ideas. The more you can prevent the corruption of these markets [by governments, corporations, and other large interest groups], the better life will be for all concerned.
My Lucid has a 500 mile range, the car handles as well as my CT6-V or any other well performing sedan I've owned, and the gubment had nothing to do with my purchase of an EV, but what did have something to do with my purchase was my insatiable lust for leading edge tech in my high performance cars and motorsports toys, it's an addiction I've had since my teen years.

Man do I miss distributor points, bias ply tires, shitty suspensions.....Not in the least.

One more thing about EV's it's really nice to have a fueling station at your house, I do have ICE vehicles for when I'm feeling nostalgic about wanting to grab a grimy gas pump while standing in a diesel fuel overflow puddle

The following 2 users liked this post by SVR 575:
DJS (Yesterday), WayneB (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 12:50 PM

Oh I don't know, because the current crop of EVs are basically disposable cell phones on wheels? That's literally how I view them, at least with the current battery tech that is on the table. I know things have a possibility of changing as we move forward and get solid state tech etc, but even then...You think people are gonna keep those cars for 5 to 6 decades or more like they do right now with conventional ICE vehicles? I just don't think so. I could be wrong, but...

People have been collecting cars forever. Literally keeping them for decades upon decades....That's all I meant by "relationship". These type of people do not view their cars as appliances. Think E-type and the like. Many others we could talk about in this regard obviously.

That's all I'm saying. You seem to have some sensibilities around EVs that I trampled on. Just giving my current view and opinion. I am not against the idea of EVs in the right context.

Old Yesterday | 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by scm
I bet you could keep an ICEV going a lot longer than an EV - lots of mechanical parts to renew compared to an obsolete battery and electric motor after a decade. Unless you want to keep changing every few years, of course. And current EVs lose a lot (more than ICEVs) in depreciation, and are a lot more expensive to buy, comparing like for like, or at least similar to similar.

And assuming Elon doesn't disable the car remotely if he thinks you've had it too long!
I will give you that one never knows what Muskrat is going to do LOL

There are some high mile EV's out there and the cost of replacing a battery pack is about $15K, in 2018 when the camshaft of my 2011 5.7L Ram puked with 90,000 miles on it it was $11K to replace the engine, and in 2008 it was $10K to replace the 7.3L PSD in my 2003 Ford Excursion (fuel injector broke destroying the piston, lots of metal).

I'll leave the gang here with vid of a Tesla owner with a 707,000 KM Tesla, and we know the EV tech is only getting better by day. So no one thinks I'm just some EV fanboi, my current cylinder count is 45 cylinders, yes I have 3 holer in the mix

DJS (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 05:36 PM

...I do have ICE vehicles for when I'm feeling nostalgic about wanting to grab a grimy gas pump while standing in a diesel fuel overflow puddle
I wonder how many people out there only have EV's?

Old Yesterday | 06:34 PM

IHMO, there's little doubt that the current crop of EV's will be obsolete within a very few years, filling the car graveyards with yet more toxic trash.

However, that's not to say that the newer ICEV's don't share the similar issues. Case is point is the feature losses of the earlier model F-type's since 3G cellular has been phased out.

Face it, we're in the beginning portion of a major transportation paradigm shift. Kicking or screaming or not, we're all being dragged into something pretty much beyond our control, just like the horse and buggy days. I don't think I like it, but I also don't think anybody really cares whether I do or not.

My mother has had a number of vehicles over the years, included a '54 XK120 OTS (she still insists that she talked her way out of at least two speeding tickets in that car.) She no longer drives anymore, but thinks more fondly of each of her horses than any of her past cars.

DMeister (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 07:18 PM

I will give you that one never knows what Muskrat is going to do LOL

There are some high mile EV's out there and the cost of replacing a battery pack is about $15K, in 2018 when the camshaft of my 2011 5.7L Ram puked with 90,000 miles on it it was $11K to replace the engine, and in 2008 it was $10K to replace the 7.3L PSD in my 2003 Ford Excursion (fuel injector broke destroying the piston, lots of metal).

I'll leave the gang here with vid of a Tesla owner with a 707,000 KM Tesla, and we know the EV tech is only getting better by day. So no one thinks I'm just some EV fanboi, my current cylinder count is 45 cylinders, yes I have 3 holer in the mix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOFf...llyChargedShow
Excellent point.

I am not sure why Taycan's are sitting save I suspect the Porsche tax on a battery may be very high.

Excellent point though....and in theory a motor "should " not cost as much in an ev as a gas car.....shoudl....

Quick Reply: New Jaguar Coupe