F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Jaguar Coupe

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 07:20 PM

I am praying for seaweed based gas or some other biofuel for $5/gallan that is 95 octane. I'd pay that....clean burning, etc., etc. Porsche was making syntheitc fuel they felt was likely at about $8/gallon scaled up...that is maybe a bit too high for normal people (911 owners won't care).

Interesting times...

Old Yesterday | 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by SVR 575
I will give you that one never knows what Muskrat is going to do LOL

There are some high mile EV's out there and the cost of replacing a battery pack is about $15K, in 2018 when the camshaft of my 2011 5.7L Ram puked with 90,000 miles on it it was $11K to replace the engine, and in 2008 it was $10K to replace the 7.3L PSD in my 2003 Ford Excursion (fuel injector broke destroying the piston, lots of metal).

I'll leave the gang here with vid of a Tesla owner with a 707,000 KM Tesla, and we know the EV tech is only getting better by day. So no one thinks I'm just some EV fanboi, my current cylinder count is 45 cylinders, yes I have 3 holer in the mix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOFf...llyChargedShow

2 stories made the news here in Canada. 2 different guys had their batteries die in the Hyundai Ionic 5s. 50k to 60k CND to replace the battery:

So it’s not always playing out like you are suggesting, and in the case of Tesla for the 15k to 20k US you are not getting a new battery either. Some used refurb thing…

Old Today | 03:37 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by theEIger
Face it, we're in the beginning portion of a major transportation paradigm shift. Kicking or screaming or not, we're all being dragged into something pretty much beyond our control, just like the horse and buggy days.
But the car was manifestly superior in most respects to the horse and buggy for most use cases, and didn't fill towns with manure. And horses are still available for those that want them. EVs are intended to completely obsolete ICEVs and if regulators have their way we won't even be able to buy ICEVs in future.

Old Today | 06:22 AM

Folks who have never read about the good old horse and buggy days should bone up on the absolute horror it was to live then. It wasn't just the manure and horse urine that polluted the streets and had to be dealt with, but the horse carcasses as well. It wasn't uncommon for horses to expire while on duty and of course the remains had to be disposed of as well. From what I've read the stench on a hot summer day in a large city could be quite offensive.

Old Today | 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by scm
But the car was manifestly superior in most respects to the horse and buggy for most use cases, and didn't fill towns with manure. And horses are still available for those that want them. EVs are intended to completely obsolete ICEVs and if regulators have their way we won't even be able to buy ICEVs in future.
Not arguing... nor am I advocating the return of horse and buggy days. As Sarah pointed out, those were dirty, smelly times.

But also, historically it was not uncommon to have city streets darkened by coal smoke and soot, esp. in cities like Pittsburg with the steel mills close by. And even I remember the orange skies over the 'City of Angels' back in the 60's. As I see it, EV's are just one more (logical?) step getting 'back' to what many people wish to consider to be a normal environment.

And while I agree that current governmental philosophy seems to want to prevent future sales of gas powered vehicles, there's still a loong way to go before ICE's disappear completely. And as long as ICE advocates desire to continue to use these vehicles, the price of gasoline will continue to rise, and there will be corporations that will continue to use existing technologies and storage capabilities to meet that desire.

I plan to continue to enjoy my F-type as long as I can. But I'm not blind to the benefits AND costs of alternatively-powered transportation. IMO, lithium ion vehicles are the greatest example of greenwashing spin that has been foisted on public awareness. However, it appears that it's here to stay, like a gravy stain on my new pants.