F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to this jaguar game, i have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this jaguar game, i have a few questions.

does anyone know if there is a feature to keep my spoiler up at all times no matter of the speed?

does anyone know what the best chip for my ecu?
or is there a way to flash it?

Old 02-02-2015, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by jagwhore11
does anyone know if there is a feature to keep my spoiler up at all times no matter of the speed?

In what country are you located? Aftermarket chips not the way to go. Flash tuning is available. Best choice of tuner will depend on country.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:18 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jagwhore11

Yes on the spoiler, at least on the Convertibles. There's a button on the console down where the active exhaust button is where you can toggle the spoiler up or down manually. I've never tried it then turned off the car to see if it stays up after a restart, but I suspect it will.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:59 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

On the coupe you can't control the spoiler. The button is just for putting it up when parked with the brake on for the purpose of cleaning under the spoiler.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
On the coupe you can't control the spoiler. The button is just for putting it up when parked with the brake on for the purpose of cleaning under the spoiler.
That's not correct Stealth. There is another thread running on this and I noted in that that I manually deployed and retracted the spoiler at speeds below 120kmh just to test it.

The annoying element is that if the spoiler deploys at 120kmh you cannot force it to retract using the button. The only way to then make it retract is to slow to around 80kmh.

But is definitely manually deployable at normal driving speeds.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:37 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

It's always possible that the US models behave differently for NHTSA or liability reasons.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
I concur.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:13 AM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I concur.
+1

Old 02-03-2015, 03:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I concur.
Then you are both incorrect, I'm afraid, unless DJS is correct that it is disabled in the US market (which would be bloody stupid and pointless, IMHO).

Last edited by OzRisk; 02-03-2015 at 03:33 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzRisk
Then you are both incorrect, I'm afraid, unless DJS is correct that it is disabled in the US market (which would be bloody stupid and pointless, IMHO).
Yes, everything about the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the California Air Resources Board is both intrusive and stupid. Welcome to the home of the brave and land of the free(?).

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Foosh (02-03-2015), Mulmur (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Yes, everything about the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the California Air Resources Board is both intrusive and stupid. Welcome to the home of the brave and land of the free(?).
Wow! If that is the case and they let your computer deploy your spoiler but not a human, that sucks!

Old 02-03-2015, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member

If that is the case....
Can't confirm until sometime in June. Won't have the car til then.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
I can absolutely assure you that if the spoiler is not manually deployable it has absolutely NOTHING to do with any U.S. (NHTSA or EPA) or state regulation (CARB).

By Federal statute, all regulations must survive rigorous cost/benefit analyses, and there would be absolutely no way to justify that one. If that were the case, all fixed spoilers would likely have to be banned. In other words, it makes no sense and wouldn't get off the regulatory drafting table. It has taken NHTSA years of trying to require rear cameras sold on all U.S. vehicles, and we're still not there yet.

I say the above, having been in the regulatory/safety business for most of my career (aviation). I can't confirm manual spoiler deployment in motion on U.S. cars either at the moment because I haven't tried it, seeing no sensible reason to manually deploy it at low speeds.

If it is disabled, then it is most likely another one of those incomprehensible decisions made by JLR about the U.S. configuration--right up there with no lockable gas cap on U.S. versions. However, my suspicion is that OZ is right and that it does work the same on all versions.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-03-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
I can absolutely assure you that if the spoiler is not manually deployable it has absolutely NOTHING to do with any U.S. (NHTSA or EPA) or state regulation (CARB).

By Federal statute, all regulations must survive rigorous cost/benefit analyses, and there would be absolutely no way to justify that one. If that were the case, all fixed spoilers would likely have to be banned. In other words, it makes no sense and wouldn't get off the regulatory drafting table. It has taken NHTSA years of trying to require rear cameras sold on all U.S. vehicles, and we're still not there yet.

I say the above, having been in the regulatory/safety business for most of my career (aviation). I can't confirm manual spoiler deployment in motion on U.S. cars either at the moment because I haven't tried it, seeing no sensible reason to manually deploy it at low speeds.

If it is disabled, then it is most likely another one of those incomprehensible decisions made by JLR about the U.S. configuration--right up there with no lockable gas cap on U.S. versions. However, my suspicion is that OZ is right and that it does work the same on all versions.
Please don't get me started on air bags.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry, I can't help it. There is absolutely no question that airbags have saved multiple 1000s of lives and prevented permanent severe disabilities in multiple other 1000s of other cases. Yes, there have been problems, but that regulation is a cost/benefit no-brainer.

How do you feel about the shoulder/harness requirement?

Old 02-03-2015, 09:00 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with others - on my V8S, the spoiler is activated via button. Often my valet guy would bump into that button and spoiler would be open or close. I never tried closing at high speeds as I prefer the downforce

Old 02-03-2015, 09:18 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Here are the pages from the 2015 US manual. Note that manual mode is not available on the coupe.

The following 2 users liked this post by another_geek:
Foosh (02-03-2015), LynxFX (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 10:03 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

"Manually check the operation of the DRS before each trip."

Yeah, right.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by another_geek
Here are the pages from the 2015 US manual. Note that manual mode is not available on the coupe.
Wow! That's a completely unfathomable decision by JLRNA. Would love to hear their rationalisation.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Wow! That's a completely unfathomable decision by JLRNA. Would love to hear their rationalisation.
I doubt JLRNA had much say in the matter. That was more likely a UK corporate call, much like leaving the lockable fuel door off the U.S. version.

However, with our USD prices being approximately half the AUD MSRPs, we don't have anything to complain about.

Quick Reply: New to this jaguar game, i have a few questions.