F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New To Me F-Type/Member

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 09:31 PM
Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Congrats, I was able to get them to knock off the BS dealer fees for mine but that was all I needed to accept list price. Another one for team 6MT!

Old 11-09-2020, 10:05 AM
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! I had similar issues when looking for mine where they would sell very quickly. Glad you found the color combo you were looking for.

Old 11-10-2020, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

For as rare as the BRG MTs are, there are a disproportionate number of them on this forum. Clearly an traditionalist-enthusiast’s favorite. It seems tan, camel, brown seats are de rigueur as well.

Last edited by Unhingd; 11-10-2020 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:55 PM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

Welcome! Nice car. You will find lots of friendly folks and good info on the site. Yes the F-type is the most beautiful car on the planet in my opinion. The rare sighting factor is nice too. Enjoy!!

Old 11-10-2020, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 391 Posts

Congrats. Looks great!! BRG is a wonderful color.

Old 11-11-2020, 10:36 AM
Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Welcome to the Forum! I was a new member myself this past August. Great bunch of helpful folks online here. I have used their resources already and try to contribute what little I know or have learned. Enjoy the ride.

Old 11-14-2020, 03:36 PM
Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

F-Typers,

This is just a follow up post to my recently purchased (sight unseen) 2017 F-type BRG/Camel 6-speed.
The F-type arrived to day and here are a few observations... a few of which I will have to search on Forum posts.
  • The car was heavily used, but only showed 17kmiles,
    the clutch slipped some, the luggage bay walls were scored, the leather was dirty, the cargo cover was broken
    I will look into power train warrantee for the updated clutch, or just replace it myself
  • The car came with nothing...except the wheel lug key.
    no owners manual, no tire inflation kit, no floor mats...
    I will look at eBay to back fill these.
  • Some surprises ... see photos.
    The dome lights were dim... due to a mouse stashing its seeds in the headliner.
    How does one pull down the headliner? (leather)

(I still have to figure out how to size the attached pictures better.. )

Old 11-14-2020, 10:33 PM
Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

I feel bad for you. It's a shame the dealer couldn't have been more upfront or honest with you and told you these things. At least he could have cleaned it up!! I know you bought this on the fly, but I learned my lesson years ago. I never buy a car without personally looking it over myself. The car I bought over the internet, I was told by the dealer it was perfect. I talked to the previous owner who told me the same thing, and also the body shop that did previous work on it. I think they were all in cahoots together, car the car was far from perfect. ( and they ALL had to know it ) Too many dishonest people and people that have lower expectations than you. Good Luck and enjoy your new ride.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:32 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I am sorry to hear as well and that is clearly not a good dealer at all. They should have reconditioned the car before selling it. I have mine arriving possibly today. It was due Wednesday and being dropped at a vendor for Xpel and tint install but the lady who owns the shop said they called her and said they will be here Sunday. Anyway I agree with Rondog that there are too many dishonest people. I also bought mine site unseen but my cousin is the sales manager at this dealer where the car was bought new so I trust him at least. And your observation seems like the impression I got of the first F Type R I looked at locally. It was ridden hard and on the one I looked at the dealer had it on the show room floor and yet the start/stop button was wore off, the Jaguar on the side vents and door handles was wore off. The paint still had residue from the wrap that was clearly not taken off properly and it only had 20k on the clock. I loved the look and feel of sitting in the car but it was not taken care of at all for only 20k. Good luck with yours and keep us updated.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:17 AM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

I have posted numerous times regarding remote purchasing - it’s a mixed bag, but there is no guarantee that a properly “delivered” new car will be problem free etc. that said, having been a new/used car prep manager and detailer, I continue to be astonished by the condition of cars on dealer lots. I understand it’s hard to keep 50-100-150 cars cleaned daily and I don’t expect a concourse experience, but I went to my local dealer to look at a CPO f-type and it was terrible. As I always tell people, there are plenty of cars without dings and scratches; they called “new cars”, but they are more expensive, I still struggle to see why it’s so difficult to perform or even contract out a decent cleanup-detail when used cars come in and then have lot personnel maintain them so they are ready quickly if sold. I made an inquiry about this car and received numerous emails imploring me to come see it, and provided assurances about the condition and fix-it’s for issues found, they had well over 48 hours to do something; however, when I got there, the car was not present and after making small talk, it was driven around the corner with water dripping off it - not washed, just rinsed - you could see the dirt and lack of wax, sealant etc . The carpets and seats were filthy and the car smelled stale. I would rate condition as a 6.5 out of (10 being a used car that looks close to new) and I would rate the presentation as 3 out 10. I guarantee I could have moved that from a 3 to an 8-8.5 in under 2 hours, at least seeing it clean would have left the impression that it was somewhat cared for, but instead it looked like it was driven rough, traded in, and left on the lot with an FTC paper in it. While the CPO includes many ridiculous and meaningless items, there are a few tangible criteria, and how this car was deemed worthy of CPO, I will never know. I ended up with another car that listed for $6000 (new MSRP) more, had 1/3 the miles, better color combination, and immaculate condition for $2500 less about 40 days later. I have purchased at least a dozen cars sight unseen (autotrader, eBay, and cars.com), only used the second half of the round trip ticket one time (Imola red M3) and all others were good to go. Also purchased 2 that were shipped to me; lucky of course, but both arrived better than expected, patience is key and I always try to are the best deal so that if there are some fix it’s, I am ready. Paying a premium and then having to spend thousands reconditioning doesn’t make a lot of sense and while info may be limited a good dealer will take plenty of photos and describe it honestly. Anyone who doesn’t, isn’t worth dealing with - don’t care how rare the combination is,

Last edited by gg2684; 11-15-2020 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:25 AM
Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences, but don't feel bad for me.
I purchased this car to get back into a car hobby.
I also knew I wanted to move quickly on this BRG/Camel/6-speed... so now I have to deal with the little stuff.

The headliner with mouse stash will be a bit of a pain. I first need to read up on the airbags and stuff.

Old 11-15-2020, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 728 Likes on 501 Posts

Hey that’s great congratulations! I can image the knots your stomach was in after you found it and had not yet sealed the deal. Well you know the saying, he who hesitates is lost (or in this case would have lost). Instead you get to enjoy a true treasure. Interior looks fantastic. Exterior looked a bit rough but that night have been pavement reflections. Have a great time with your new toy!