Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) F Type Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 09:12 AM
Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Default New (to me) F Type Questions!

Greetings all,

for those who’ve been keeping up with my escapades, I recently bought a FY21 F type R buyback car and have a couple of questions about the car that hopefully y’all can help me with. Thank you in advance to all who choose to respond 😃

1. How do I program memory seat functions?
2. There are a few relatively deep scratches on the hood that appear to not be deeper than the clearcoat, anything I should be concerned about before going to a detailer to get it buffed out?
3. The rear brakes are at 5mm and a Jag dealer in NJ quoted me $1850 to replace them. I’m assuming it would be cheaper in VA (and also at an independent shop), what prices have y’all seen for this job and/or any independent recommendations around the Richmond, VA area?
4. The car came with this weird front plate bracket installed. I’ve never seen one like it. Any ideas how to get it off? I’ll be registering in FL so a front plate is not necessary. Pictures below!

Old 05-11-2024, 10:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as seat adjustment - 1 Turn ignition on 2 adjust seat, steering wheel, and mirrors 3 push the M button and within 5 seconds press one of the numbered buttons. You should be all set.

Old 05-11-2024, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckster
As far as seat adjustment - 1 Turn ignition on 2 adjust seat, steering wheel, and mirrors 3 push the M button and within 5 seconds press one of the numbered buttons. You should be all set.
Awesome! Thank you much.

Old 05-11-2024, 12:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so about the brakes. They will screw you at the dealer. Go to VAPs website (velocity AP) and get porter field r4s pads and then R1 concept rotors. They do not sell the rotors on VAP, you can order the rotors off Amazon or any other site. Just pick out what model you have and it'll all come in Did a full brake replacement with upraded parts because the brake dust is awful with the stock ones. Go to an independent for sure and buy your own parts. $1850 is actually insane for just the rear. I did a full replacement for a lot less than that with the pads and rotors.

The following users liked this post:
Atipical (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 03:32 PM
Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Welcome to the group.

One thing that may help to answer your questions (and more) would be to download the Jaguar iGuide from either the Apple store or google play. It's not a complete manual, but does provide a lot of good tips (including "Driving Position Memory".) Plus, it's portable.

As far as the license plate holders go, it's nothing like the one on my MY21 (TX dealership) - not surprising as most manufacturers leave it to the dealers to install them based on local requirements, and they could do whatever they want. If yours is not held in place with U bolts between the existing grill vent holes, then they drilled holes into the plastic. Either way, it appears the black nuts(?) hold an intermediate bracket to the grill, and the larger light-colored nut is used for fine-tuning the bracket for the license plate itself. If you lucky, it'll be a u bolt.

Old 05-11-2024, 04:12 PM
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

...and to remove those front license plate brackets this thread describes to process: https://shorturl.at/duwJU
Takes only about 15 minutes.

Old 05-11-2024, 04:20 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by theEIger
One thing that may help to answer your questions (and more) would be to download the Jaguar iGuide from either the Apple store or google play. It's not a complete manual, but does provide a lot of good tips (including "Driving Position Memory".) Plus, it's portable.
It's also accessible via the Jaguar Remote app if you have it - More -> Jaguar Digital Handbook and follow the prompts.

Edit: I've just tried it and it's a UI nightmare - you have to prove you're not a robot by clicking images and if you're slow typing your VIN it expires and you have to do it all again! Plus the VIN has to be entered in all caps which on my phone means hitting the shift button on every character, so it takes twice as long - and the robot check expires again! Hopeless - the iGuide is much easier!

Last edited by scm; 05-11-2024 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2024, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by alchemystic
...and to remove those front license plate brackets this thread describes to process: https://shorturl.at/duwJU
Takes only about 15 minutes.
you’re a life saver! Thank you so much.

alchemystic (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

About the brakes:
When you say "rear brakes are at 5 mm" I assume you mean that's the pad thickness.
Minimum specified pad thickness is 2 mm so you still have plenty left, but if you want to change the pads for something far less dusty then go for it.
If you are going to change the pads to reduce the dust (as previously mentioned the OEM pads are semi-metallic and horrendously dusty) then I recommend Porterfield R4-S which are carbon/kevlar and very low dust, and you should do the fronts as well.
Your car has the "super performance" brakes 380 mm front and 376 mm rear and the Porterfield R4-S part numbers are rear AP 1753 and front AP 1750.
Most (all?) JLR dealerships say you should get new discs/rotors as well when you need new pads but this is BS, the discs/rotors almost always last for two fully worn sets of pads. I assume the quoted cost is for new discs/rotors as well as new pads.
So you probably don't need new discs/rotors at all but best to check them just in case, easy enough to use a Vernier calliper to measure the thickness of your current discs. Minimum width specs are rear 24 mm / 0.94" front 34 mm / 1.34", and while you are measuring check the condition (not overly grooved/pitted/rusty etc).
If/when you fit new pads to the existing discs you should get the discs lightly skimmed/turned, although not many shops do this these days and it's not much more expensive to get new discs anyway.
If you want to get new discs there are plenty out there to choose from (search on Fleabay) and you don't need to get OEM, you can if you want get slotted and/or drilled for a bit of bling. R1 Concepts are one brand which come recommended. Also the 380 mm front and 376 mm rear discs are exactly the same across the whole Jaguar range (i.e. XF, XJ, XK) so no need to restrict yourself to F-Type discs or pay an "F-Type tax" (and the front pads are the same but NOT the rear pads).
Changing the pads and discs is a fairly easy bolt off / bolt on job which you can DIY but if you are not keen on DIY then any half decent mechanic can do it for a fraction of the dealer quoted price. One tip - the front brake calliper pins need a 9 mm hex driver and that is a rare size that many shops don't have.

Old 05-11-2024, 11:37 PM
Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Atipical
3. The rear brakes are at 5mm and a Jag dealer in NJ quoted me $1850 to replace them. I’m assuming it would be cheaper in VA (and also at an independent shop), what prices have y’all seen for this job and/or any independent recommendations around the Richmond, VA area?
A complete brake job on the F-Type is a pretty easy DIY job if you have a jack and a 1/2" socket set. You can order quality rotors and pads for all 4 wheels for around $800 (shipped). Replacement takes maybe 2 hours if its your first time. At a minimum, order the parts and have a friend or local brake shop do it for you. $1850 for a single axle is INSANE. The Dealers count on owners knowing nothing and thinking this kind of maintainence is difficult and takes special tools. It doesn't. It's actually worth buying a jack and tools to do this job, as you'll still come out way ahead, you'll feel amazing doing your own service, and you'll learn a bit about how awesome the F-Type is as you start to get familiar with it.

OzXFR (05-12-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 08:46 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

Here's a link to the online owners manual: https://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com

It's a whole lot easier to use than flipping through the 700 odd pages of the printed manual that comes with the car

Old 05-12-2024, 09:40 AM
Received 308 Likes on 199 Posts
Default New Owner help

Here's a link to the onliine Jaguar manuals, it asks for VIN, but I just choose vehicle and model year. All the control settings instructions, including the seats are in there.

https://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/

Also, get the StoNSho for the front plate. Although my state, Wisconsin, does require a front plate, my car did not have one when I bought it and I didn't want to drill holes in it. The stoNsho easily mounts underneath in the front.

https://stonsho.com/products/front-l...type-svr-sns68

The following 2 users liked this post by Valerie Stabenow:
Carbuff2 (05-12-2024), Chuckster (05-12-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 08:05 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerKrad
so about the brakes. They will screw you at the dealer. Go to VAPs website (velocity AP) and get porter field r4s pads and then R1 concept rotors. They do not sell the rotors on VAP, you can order the rotors off Amazon or any other site. Just pick out what model you have and it'll all come in Did a full brake replacement with upraded parts because the brake dust is awful with the stock ones. Go to an independent for sure and buy your own parts. $1850 is actually insane for just the rear. I did a full replacement for a lot less than that with the pads and rotors.
I put on the R4S pads and R1 Concept drilled/slotted rotors and ran me $600 roughly for everything and did it myself in a couple hours. Stay away from a dealer unless you don't care about cost.

OzXFR (05-13-2024)