F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member F Type I came from Lotus

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 10:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default New Member F Type I came from Lotus

Hi just wanted to say hi , I recently purchased a 2016 Jaguar F Type manual Coupe. I moved from a Lotus Evora to the Jag.. Just curious if any others migrated from Lotus over to a F Type. Im in South Fla. Bruce

Old 10-02-2019, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I have some bad news for you. 16 MT have problematic clutch and you have a fight ahead of you to get it sorted out under warranty. Start by reading this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...action-158861/

The issue is early versions of clutch slip when car is driven hard, all this slipping cause the clutch to explode within first 10,000 miles. US dealerships, who likely never seen another MT before yours, will blame your driving and ask you to pay about $4K to get it fixed. The fix involves new clutch and new flywheel with updated designs. After you show them service bulletin that documents this as a well-known problem in early (2016) MTs, they may agree to fix it under warranty. If not, JLR may intervene and authorize repair under goodwill. Some people were denied warranty repairs for unknown reasons.

That is, despite this being a known issue there is no recall and JLR doesn't always pay for repairs even under warranty. This is 100% fixable issue, the only question is who pays.

Here is relevant bulletin from Jaguar:: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...18156-9999.pdf

---

Another point to consider/be aware of. F-type engines use oil pressure (hydraulic) variable timing system, consequently they are very sensitive to old oil. You have to go above and beyond recommended service to stay on top of it. More so, F-type doesn't have a low oil level warning system - the car won't warn you if you are low on oil. You have to check it yourself.

The following users liked this post:
Jklad (10-02-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Post up some photos of your car when you have time. Also, update your signature to include your car information.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:41 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

welcome, Glad you can join us. Just to let you know I love my Jag. i know they are not perfect as SinF has told you, but like any man made machinery it will need maintenance and up keep. Enjoy your ride. Read the manual. You will will love this car.

Old 10-02-2019, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Welcome to the forum! Post up some photos of your car when you have time. Also, update your signature to include your car information.
Assuming SinF didn’t scare him away Kyle.

Talk about a welcoming—if, unfortunately true—post. Yes, SinF likely did the OP a favor but I might have just said, in my first post, “welcome to the Forum”...pause 2 or 3 or 4 posts...then hit him with, “oh, and by the way.”

Great car in spite of any [potential] flaws.

Happy Motoring,
RJ52

The following 4 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
Burt Gummer (10-03-2019), Mahjik (10-02-2019), Paul_59 (10-03-2019), sov211 (10-03-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Welcome and congrats; as you can see we are here to help in all capacities. You will run across the "Unhinged" forum member, who also owns a manual and is one of great forum contributors so you are in good company. Also of note is that SinF owns a manual. You can add this info to your messages (it shows at bottom of each post) by going to the User Control Panel (User CP) in the black banner at top of page and adding the info.under Settings and Options, : "edit signature".

It helps members respond to your posts.

Last edited by jaguny; 10-02-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Yes, welcome to the forum. With the short-shifter installed and the clutch issue resolved, its the best shifting car I’ve ever had.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:45 PM
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

I too came over from the Lotus world-have owned 5 of them (two were race cars). Loved my last one especially,an Elise.It was extremely reliable and to my mind the perfect sports car. After 13 years of ownership as a daily driver, the car didn’t age but I did. After 20 minutes driving the seats were increasingly uncomfortable. Ended up trading it in for a new 2017 R coupe.
The F type is no Lotus in the handling department and is too fat to be a real sports car but is an excellent, and comfortable GT with decent power. This is the only car I’ve ever had with an automatic, but it is so good I don’t miss the third pedal at all. I live in central Florida and here the f type is a ghost- no one reacts to it at all which is great since every boy racer in an asian tuner car wanted to race the Elise. The f type garners as much attention as an old Buick here which is just fine with me. I slice quickly through the knots of clapped out Hyundai’s and Honda’s virtually unseen.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

And here I am trying to sell my f type to get an evora small world. Congratulations btw

Old 10-02-2019, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

Speaking of small worlds, for those of us over 6' tall, this is the first thing that comes to mind when we see an Evora:

A fun car when the roof is off, but zero ingress/egress when it's on.

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-02-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies... No no one scared me off Im very thankful for the info as that was one of my first post I was going to leave is .. "Whats up with the clutch on these"

Looks like my car was manufactured in July 2016 and I guess I have the slippery goofy clutch as first time I drove it .. I didnt like two things.. The clutch was too high engaging.. like half way up.. Im used to it engaging right off the floor.. so now I have to feather it out a little before giving it gas.. a real pain.. second I noticed that driving it normal , the clutch seems fine but hit it hard and quick shift it slips and spins like crazy.. like Im holding my foot on the clutch while accelerating.. horrible.. I dont like that .. so i read all through that massive post thanks for sending it and yes Ill try and talk to the service tech over at Jag about getting the clutch updated and serviced.. Ill fight it tooth and nail if I have to but there's enough stuff and documents and things on that link to argue it that its an issue that's been going on since release and lots of others have had to have theirs updated and the clutch parts have been updated since then because of this problem, Ill get it done..

I originally came from Porche and had the Boxster then went to a Lotus, now to the F Type. First impressions .. The Jag seems more Like the Porsche rival, the Boxster S or the 911.. Maxerati Grand Turismo , Maybe a Aston Martin DB in that category. A Luxury Sports car. Driving it felt like driving my Boxster But I big difference than driving the Lotus Evora. The gears are too long on the Evora, all I would do is go 1 2 and 1 2 3 and thats it.. 1st gear you got it to 50 MPH and then what.. ? shift to 2nd.. or go straight to 3.. and cruise softly.. sorta boring.. The whole time I owned that car I never had it in 5th or 6th gear.. The jag shifts normal like any other car.. I criuse to 5th gear .. no problem.. the interior is much nicer, the recaro seats are nicer than in the Evora better leather.. and all electric obviously more options inside the car and gadgets.. When I drove the Porsche I got occasional looks and replies nice car.. but no one was running out to taking pictures of it.. The Evora, alot of attention, you not only got the nice car people would yell at you from the curbs, point at you .. run up and take pictures of the car ect. the Jag. Ive only had it out a few times but I get the same as Porsche but I think a little bit more... Nice car , a few thumbs up , and one person did snap a picture of the car.. so I think because there are tons of Porsches rolling around , you hardly ever see a F Type Ive only spotted 2 in last 4 years and Ive seen more Lambos and Ferraris than I seen a F type.. so thats something.. The Car lacks the looks that the Evora had, and Truthfully Im going to miss that.. but what Im not going to miss is the lousy build quality of the Evora.. Thier plagued with Tranny issues that gears shear off.. clutches that last 20k miles and ECU problems, wire harness problems gearshifts that break off into your hands while driving and more.. and God forbid you park one in the sun the dash will warp in no time.. I think the Elise and Exige have a better build quality than the Evora.. but thier too small for me look like a Miata.. so thats why I left is to go back to a mass produced car where you dont have to wait for 4 months to get a part or longer and you dont need to tow it 300 miles away to get it serviced.. and getting a clutch change doesnt cost you $12,000.00 .. When the 1st poster said $4000 for a clutch change, I felt like hahah Id pay that with a smile on my face, how nice..

There are ways to jazz up the Jag and Ill be asking more questions on those later on.. as I plan on doing some mods to it.Its a cool looking car and it can be made to look even cooler with the right accessories.. . I rallied hard with decision between the BMW i8 and the F type or the new Corvette.. and chose the F type cause it can be bought with a stick.. the i8 seems like it could be a huge electical nightmare and its a mini cooper supercar wannabe... not impressed...but it does look nice.. the Corvette no clutch either .. so end game for me.. otherwise I would of bought that.. or back to a Porsche.. I think the V 6 F type is the best choice for a sports car in the used price range of $45k to $60k.. out there..

The following 4 users liked this post by Bruce Weller:
DJS (10-03-2019), Mahjik (10-03-2019), RickyJay52 (10-03-2019), SinF (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Speaking of small worlds, for those of us over 6' tall, this is the first thing that comes to mind when we see an Evora:

https://youtu.be/nxvlKp-76io

A fun car when the roof is off, but zero ingress/egress when it's on.
Don't play that video, you'll need to drive off a cliff; it stcks in your brain and won't leave. The composer was a sadist.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
Don't play that video, you'll need to drive off a cliff; it stcks in your brain and won't leave. The composer was a sadist.
+1. I should have warned folks. I just posted that video without playing it. I think that’s why FAO Schwarz had to close their store on Fifth Avenue. They kept playing that song over and over and over again at their store. Store employees were institutionalized on a regular basis.

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-03-2019 at 05:25 AM.
jaguny (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 06:36 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Welcome to the forum and F type ownership..

Hope you enjoy

Old 10-03-2019, 07:20 AM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Welcome to the Forum! You've got yourself an amazing car, wish I could have gotten my S in a manual, the dealer I bought mine from actually had a gorgeous manual S, with the design pack, and a crap top of carbon and red interior, It was my dream spec before I found out it was in an accident, stopped me from getting it, ironic considering the situation with my car if your familiar with my post's. Post some photos and keep on top of maintenance! and put some PS4's on it too!

Old 10-03-2019, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Talk about a welcoming—if, unfortunately true—post. Yes, SinF likely did the OP a favor but I might have just said, in my first post, “welcome to the Forum”...pause 2 or 3 or 4 posts...then hit him with, “oh, and by the way.”
Potential savings of $4K+ from my info dump buys a lot of quality spirits to mend OP's feelings. This is not counting time and hassle of getting stranded on the side of the road with a grenaded clutch.

RickyJay52 (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bruce Weller
The clutch was too high engaging.. like half way up.. Im used to it engaging right off the floor.. so now I have to feather it out a little before giving it gas.. a real pain.. second I noticed that driving it normal , the clutch seems fine but hit it hard and quick shift it slips and spins like crazy.. like Im holding my foot on the clutch while accelerating.. horrible.. I dont like that
You have first gen clutch. 4th gen clutch have proper engagement point (fairly close to the floor) and does not notably slip even at full throttle. I recommend you don't push the car around until you get new clutch and flywheel. This isn't clutch-only fix, both have to be replaced.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:18 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I had an Evora as well. Amazing handling car but the Jaguar is a much more livable car with a much higher build quality. I say that because mine was in the shop a lot. Silly small stuff but the dealer was a bit of a ride. Jag is for sure very heavy for sure. From the lotus I went to a porsche boxster spyder. Took a bit to get used to the weight. I really like my F-Type R and its a much better GT car. Best of luck!!!!

2015 XJR L (10-22-2023)
Old 10-03-2019, 07:13 PM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

[QUOTE=Bruce Weller;2134245]Thanks for the replies... No no one scared me off Im very thankful for the info as that was one of my first post I was going to leave is .. "Whats up with the clutch on these"

Looks like my car was manufactured in July 2016 and I guess I have the slippery goofy clutch as first time I drove it .. I didnt like two things.. The clutch was too high engaging.. like half way up.. Im used to it engaging right off the floor.. so now I have to feather it out a little before giving it gas.. a real pain.. second I noticed that driving it normal , the clutch seems fine but hit it hard and quick shift it slips and spins like crazy.. like Im holding my foot on the clutch while accelerating.. horrible.. I dont like that.

I believe from what has been determined, a manufacture date of July 2016 puts it in the second generation clutch assembly. My car, manufactured in 10/15 and appears to have been one of the first second generation clutches which is something that I have been curious about. Your description of the clutch operation is spot on with my experience (engaging about half way up) except that if I hit it hard it still responds well (even at 31K miles). The thing that drives me nuts is the "dump valve cutout" (not sure this is the right term but others on this forum have discussed it) that apparently protects the engine from over revving and those revs hitting the clutch. My reaction to the cost of the clutch assembly change currently is the same as yours but once the warranty period is over it will likely increase a bit.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:16 PM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

[QUOTE=Bruce Weller;2134245]Thanks for the replies... No no one scared me off Im very thankful for the info as that was one of my first post I was going to leave is .. "Whats up with the clutch on these"
Looks like my car was manufactured in July 2016 and I guess I have the slippery goofy clutch as first time I drove it .. I didnt like two things.. The clutch was too high engaging.. like half way up.. Im used to it engaging right off the floor.. so now I have to feather it out a little before giving it gas.. a real pain.. second I noticed that driving it normal , the clutch seems fine but hit it hard and quick shift it slips and spins like crazy.. like Im holding my foot on the clutch while accelerating.. horrible.. I dont like that.

I believe from what has been determined, a manufacture date of July 2016 puts it in the second generation clutch assembly. My car, manufactured in 10/15 and appears to have been one of the first second generation clutches which is something that I have been curious about. Your description of the clutch operation is spot on with my experience (engaging about half way up) except that if I hit it hard it still responds well (even at 31K miles). The thing that drives me nuts is the "dump valve cutout" (not sure this is the right term but others on this forum have discussed it) that apparently protects the engine from over revving and those revs hitting the clutch. My reaction to the cost of the clutch assembly change currently is the same as yours but once the warranty period is over it will likely increase a bit.

Quick Reply: New Member F Type I came from Lotus