Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member F Type I came from Lotus

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Don't play that video, you'll need to drive off a cliff; it stcks in your brain and won't leave. The composer was a sadist.
I got stuck in a Disney ride with a niece and nephew with that music playing for 2 hours many years back. I heard it for weeks later.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 07:47 PM
Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce Weller
Hi just wanted to say hi , I recently purchased a 2016 Jaguar F Type manual Coupe. I moved from a Lotus Evora to the Jag.. Just curious if any others migrated from Lotus over to a F Type. Im in South Fla. Bruce
Sold my 2014 Evora S for a 17' R, Jag has definitely better build quality, you can park it in the sun without worrying about it melting. The Evora got more attention on the road but that was a part of Evora ownership I didn't like. Still have a Lotus Exige for the track but it's the Jag for the road (and what the hell. the track sometimes too!).

The following 3 users liked this post by mikelr:
Chawumba (10-09-2019), Mahjik (10-03-2019), SS4PK (10-05-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

[QUOTE=rbsj;2134700]
Originally Posted by Bruce Weller
Thanks for the replies... No no one scared me off Im very thankful for the info as that was one of my first post I was going to leave is .. "Whats up with the clutch on these"
Looks like my car was manufactured in July 2016 and I guess I have the slippery goofy clutch as first time I drove it .. I didnt like two things.. The clutch was too high engaging.. like half way up.. Im used to it engaging right off the floor.. so now I have to feather it out a little before giving it gas.. a real pain.. second I noticed that driving it normal , the clutch seems fine but hit it hard and quick shift it slips and spins like crazy.. like Im holding my foot on the clutch while accelerating.. horrible.. I dont like that.

I believe from what has been determined, a manufacture date of July 2016 puts it in the second generation clutch assembly. My car, manufactured in 10/15 and appears to have been one of the first second generation clutches which is something that I have been curious about. Your description of the clutch operation is spot on with my experience (engaging about half way up) except that if I hit it hard it still responds well (even at 31K miles). The thing that drives me nuts is the "dump valve cutout" (not sure this is the right term but others on this forum have discussed it) that apparently protects the engine from over revving and those revs hitting the clutch. My reaction to the cost of the clutch assembly change currently is the same as yours but once the warranty period is over it will likely increase a bit.
The clutch problem was never fully resolved until the gen 4. I was the first proponent of disabling the CDV (Clutch delay valve) when first experiencing the early clutch issues. Doing so had little positive effect. With the gen 4 clutch, I sense absolutely no need to disable it.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I had a unique "privilege" of having each clutch in my car at some point. First Gen clutch is soft, very late and imprecise pick-up and lots of slipping. Second generation clutch was racing-like clutch, it was pick-up at the floor and operated as on/off - having driven many dedicated track cars, it didn't bother me much until it chewed up both differential and transmission (not enough damping in the drive train, you'd need flex disks on both ends of driveshaft to make something like that work). By comparison, forth generation clutch (what you will likely get) is much closer to first generation clutch but minus slipping and with a better pickup feel. Now, I think key difference between third and forth gen clutches is that 4th gen can be used with both 1st get and 2nd gen flywheels (I am not 100% certain about this, but I have seen reports of 4th gen being a direct swap from 1st gen without changing flywheel).

Personally, I find F-type shifting with 4th gen clutch just average. Clutch pedal feel isn't heavy enough for me. Flywheel too heavy, resulting in inertia jerking car if you over-rev with your blip on rev-matching downshifting, and going into gears takes too long (without short shifter). As a result of all of this, I can't shift as fast as I'd like to and it isn't the easiest car to heel-and-toe.

Last edited by SinF; 10-04-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

I don’t have anything useful to add but I’ll still say WELCOME

I still I’ll have my Lotus btw 😀

Old 10-05-2019, 12:32 PM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes welcome Bruce.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks everyone

Old 10-09-2019, 08:52 AM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

[QUOTE=Unhingd;2134749]
Originally Posted by rbsj
The clutch problem was never fully resolved until the gen 4. I was the first proponent of disabling the CDV (Clutch delay valve) when first experiencing the early clutch issues. Doing so had little positive effect. With the gen 4 clutch, I sense absolutely no need to disable it.
Its comforting to know that the clutch issue has been addressed with the 4th generation clutch and it sounds like most of SinF's issues with it relate to him still using the original shifter (BTW Bruce, the short shifter is a must for the car as well). I believe this is the first time I've seen you guys endorse at least its "sturdiness".

It's also interesting to hear the CDV doesn't play as big role with the 4th gen clutch. How does that work?

Old 10-09-2019, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

[QUOTE=rbsj;2137150]
Originally Posted by Unhingd

Its comforting to know that the clutch issue has been addressed with the 4th generation clutch and it sounds like most of SinF's issues with it relate to him still using the original shifter (BTW Bruce, the short shifter is a must for the car as well). I believe this is the first time I've seen you guys endorse at least its "sturdiness".

It's also interesting to hear the CDV doesn't play as big role with the 4th gen clutch. How does that work?
The CDV just slightly reduces the hydraulic fluid flow rate to avoid drivetrain damage if your foot slips off the clutch pedal (or you like popping the clutch).

Old 10-09-2019, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Many cars use CDV's. My old E46 M3 had one as well which was a 2002 so it's not a new concept. They can cause some unneeded wear for those that know how to drive manuals, but it can also save some clutches from those that don't. I never removed mine in my M3, but I was highly tempted to do so as the delay was noticeable.