Sponsored by:

New model M4 tried to race me.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 10:51 AM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default New model M4 tried to race me.

Hey guys,
I was driving on the Garden State Parkway when a young early 20's age guy pulled up next to me and kept up with me doing about 70 mph. He beeps at me but I wouldn't look at him. He clearly wants to race. Then he would floor the gas and down shift the M4 and slightly pull ahead from me. I didn't acknowledge him nor did I get engage him with his desire to race. I hear the BMW engine and exhaust when he smashed the gas pedal down and I was kinda shocked on how aweful the car sounds. For my ears, it sounded like a large volume fart sound
My previous car was a M5 and I asked myself where did BMW go wrong to come up with such a sissy sounding car for the ///M division. It left me scratching my head.

Last edited by Ubad2; 09-20-2016 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-20-2016, 11:00 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

lately it seems bmw has been on the quest to build cars that will appeal to a broader audience, and the M division is no exception. For example an E46 M3 would be much harder to live with in comparison to the current M4...todays car has lighter steering, ride quality is plush, fuel economy is better, the car is bigger to fit more things, i can go on...you cant argue that As a car or on paper todays BMWs are objectively better. But not really for the same reasons we loved and praised them for in the past

Last edited by NiteriderSC; 09-20-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

i agree, BMW did not do a good job on the M 3/4 Exhaust. The turbo is partially to blame, and the fact that its a 6cyl and not 8. the E9x M3's sounded great because they had a V8......but prior to that, the E46 didnt sound all that good.

and then to add salt to the wound, they mask it with a sound track pumped through the speakers on the interior.

The following users liked this post:
Schwabe (10-04-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 12:55 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
i agree, BMW did not do a good job on the M 3/4 Exhaust. The turbo is partially to blame, and the fact that its a 6cyl and not 8. the E9x M3's sounded great because they had a V8......but prior to that, the E46 didnt sound all that good.

and then to add salt to the wound, they mask it with a sound track pumped through the speakers on the interior.
I loved the sound made by the E36 / E46 generation of M3's. Wonderfully complex / mechanical / zingy soundtrack - they were bespoke M division units, very special. Wasn't so keen on the E9x V8 by comparison although again was a bespoke engine.

The latest generation M3/4 by comparison have very ordinary engines in that they are not as bespoke and they sound absolutely awful. Very rapid cars though - would think the F Type would have a very difficult time dispatching one (even an R).

Old 09-20-2016, 02:02 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

You know, you refused to race him, and then you came here to rag on his exhaust.
I don't condone high speed racing on public roads, but there's a solid chance he would have destroyed you. I hate the BMW exhaust add much as any person with decent taste, but I think this is the wrong moment to bring it up.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Don't race on the public roads or you will end up killing a family in a minivan when you panic, lift off and spin out.

Equal driver skill and similar tires and M4 will eat F-type any day. However, novice M4 driver on a technical race track and you can take on it in a stock Miata. These days, there are a lot more posers in BMWs, so chances anyone driving new M4 is an experienced driver are slim.

Last edited by SinF; 09-20-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:47 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default My point being ...

Originally Posted by hardwired
You know, you refused to race him, and then you came here to rag on his exhaust.
I don't condone high speed racing on public roads, but there's a solid chance he would have destroyed you. I hate the BMW exhaust add much as any person with decent taste, but I think this is the wrong moment to bring it up.
At times the F Type does attract the "douchbag" type of driver/on looker.
That's all.

Last edited by Ubad2; 09-20-2016 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Addition to post
Old 09-20-2016, 03:00 PM
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I just got a new 2016 m3 about 4500 miles ago, that beautiful yas marina blue. its also a 6 speed manual as god intended it to be along with the non electronic suspension, the stock suspension. my last car was a 2013 335i msport 6 sp manual.

I love this car. And yes he would have murdered you on a race and i don't condone races on public streets, that's what track days are for, so he was a doushe.

The new m3 is a fantastic blend of new and old bmw sensations. sure the exaust is overly loud, especially when cold, but it sounds so good when you punch it or just drive it. it's a great blend of whatever state of the art m production can muster and its a true supercar, 0-60 in 4 seconds. i had a chance to drive with my son, the other carnut and about half my age, from sf to portland, 653 miles in 9 hrs 45 min, we were hauling and i could pass anyone at any time on any road, mountain or flats and got 24.6 mpg. when i drive it normally i can sometimes see 27 mpg, in a super car! this is my third bmw so i understand what a dissapointment electronic steering can be, along with a turbo 6 taking the place of a na v8, my son has the 4.0 in his 08 m3 so i know.
its just a great car, period. i could not say that about my 2013 335i m sport, sure it had power, also rev hang with a manual as this was clearly an automatic designed engine, and the suspension, 3 mode electronic was junk, too soft, too bouncy, and too much lean.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Don't race on the public roads or you will end up killing a family in a minivan when you panic, lift off and spin out.

Equal driver skill and similar tires and M4 will eat F-type any day. However, novice M4 driver on a technical race track and you can take on it in a stock Miata. These days, there are a lot more posers in BMWs, so chances anyone driving new M4 is an experienced driver are slim.
I agree that you should not race on public roads, but I don't agree that the M4 will eat F-type any day.

Jaguar F-Type R Coupe vs BMW M4 - FastestLaps.com
In a straight line the F-type R is even faster than the M4 Competition package.
I drove on German autobahn together with some friends this spring, one of them in a M4. Not very technical road, but he struggled to keep up when accelerating at high speeds.

Don't underestimate the F-type

The following 2 users liked this post by Arne:
ImNotFamousAnymore (10-11-2016), Schwabe (10-04-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 03:13 PM
Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

It's not the exhaust that makes it sound lame - it's the engine. Gone are the honking V8s. They now utilize a turbocharged 3-liter inline 6. That can only be made to sound so good regardless of the exhaust.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:32 PM

my bad, i have driven a new jag and it's 4 wheel drive v8, very fast, it would be a good race, i thought this thread was regarding the xk8 models, i am new to the forum and get lost easily.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:11 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by PolkNole
It's not the exhaust that makes it sound lame - it's the engine. Gone are the honking V8s. They now utilize a turbocharged 3-liter inline 6. That can only be made to sound so good regardless of the exhaust.
They could have done better though. That is their sin.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

There isn't enough purists out there to call manufacturers out on noises through speakers. Even Porsche came close to doing it with their 4cyl engines. Maybe aftermarket picks this up and once every civic has fake noises this will be seen for a gimmick it is.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:30 PM

I don't actually mind the noise I love how it handles and goes... A four door sports car that I can enjoy... My introduction to the plus 400 hp club and a real factory hot rod. Excellent brakes...Put all the high tech stuff on a 335i and the cost would be similar to what this cost me.. I was able to order it to my specs... It arrived about 7 weeks later... Factory service has been great and will be free for 48 months...and THe engine has nice legs for every day driving. For just about the same fun factor in a smaller lighter more simple car I have my Honda S2000 . Someday I might look into a 6 sp manual jag on the used car market... They are wonderful beautiful cars.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:06 PM

If you want to hear a decent exhaust on the M4 engine, here's one...this is virtually the same engine...

Old 09-20-2016, 07:32 PM

You have nice car... The engines are not the same if you look into it you will see the 3.0 in the m3 I have is 425 plus hp with over 400 lbs of torque... The drivetrain also differs... Different gearbox driveshaft ,rear end ,suspension ,brakes etc. all different completely. Your exhaust sounds good . I chose to go factory engineered mods rather than to mod a stock car.
I am not a fan of how the stock m3 exhaust sounds especially at start up but that's the way the m division wanted to make it and they know something about r an d .

The engines are not the same other than displacement... Metal used, compression , two separate turbos , fuel mapping hp output headers, exhaust with performance flaps, etc
The m3 has extensive use of carbon fibers; trim , strut tower brace, roof, driveshaft , etc
The brakes differ than the 335i which is the basic platform . Fenders and front and rear facia, interior... And best of all touch pad/real working voice activated I drive!!!
The seats are also quite better as is the leather quality.
Even the model number differs from a 3 series.
You have a nice car, have modded it the way you want it. Go drive a new f80 m3 and tell me it's the same engine?

Old 09-20-2016, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by hirev
You have nice car... The engines are not the same if you look into it you will see the 3.0 in the m3 I have is 425 plus hp with over 400 lbs of torque...
The engines are not the same other than displacement... Metal used, compression , two separate turbos , fuel mapping hp output headers, exhaust with performance flaps, etc Go drive a new f80 m3 and tell me it's the same engine?
The ENGINE IS almost the same. I tuned it to over 400 HP and over 400 lbs of torque back when tuning wasn't cool. It was well faster than the big V8 550s, and faster than the E39 M5. Then, BMW started doing the exact same thing with this same engine and charging 5 figures more and sticking an M badge on it lol. Yes, this engine also has two separate turbos. They kept the twin turbos for the M while the others went to a twin scroll turbo.

Hey, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this engine, please don't get me wrong. They left a ton of power on the table on the original tuning. It just sounds crappy, which is why I got the after market exhaust.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:50 PM

Ok I get it... When I had the 335i it was 300 hp and 300 ft lbs of torque
It felt very powerful as you know... Pulled like a freight train everywhere on the rev band, got 26 mpg every day with the 6 sp manual. But it had rev hang and went into limp mode a few times ...the exhaust noise was minimal and not very pleasing ... The artificial sound helped some. I believe they designed it for 90% of buyers: double clutch automatic city. They set up the m3 for both buyers and even though the majority are dct buyers it is tuned for a manual as well.
BMW makes some good and some great cars...
Think you have dealt with some 5 series issues , tune,exhaust, suspension which make for a nicely sorted 5 series. It's at least a 5 second 0-60 car that handles and sounds good.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:58 PM

Yep. I basically had a free M3 engine in a 535. I had the sport package which had excellent suspension - check out this video at Sebring Raceway and how it drives like its on rails through these ridiculous turns. And it was well faster than 5 seconds...judge for yourself...(the 535 starts at 0:24 mark; the gray 335i in the beginning was tuned too and was my sons)

Old 09-21-2016, 06:28 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

This Thread is funny

I miss my M4, aside from the sound.
Next week I was invited to attend a BMW Golf Event and will test drive M3/4 ZCP. Curious how it compares to my previous '15 M4 (sounds much better).
i8s will also be available to test drive, although I'm torn about that vehicle--but the "fire sale" on the i8s makes it worth considering!

Quick Reply: New model M4 tried to race me.