F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Navigation map

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 08:46 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts
Default New Navigation map

Just got an offer to purchase latest maps for $199 and free shipping if I act now.
For a system I rarely use and for which I have Just Drive as well as a Google Maps, I think I will stick with the 2016 maps.

The following 4 users liked this post by Buckingham:
99Gsp (11-17-2016), IRRBrogue (11-14-2016), LobsterClaws (11-14-2016), Unhingd (11-15-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 11:00 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Haha, I wish they would let me purchase Apple Car so I could use Waze

The following 2 users liked this post by zmoothg:
LobsterClaws (11-14-2016), Lookout! (11-24-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 09:27 AM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Received the same offer and just laughed. Don't they know that Waze is free, better, more current than fixed nav systems, and fully integrated with my contact list of my POIs? At some point, Jag (and other auto nav map purvayors) should re-examine the value, competition, and pricing for these map updates.

Desert Hiker

The following 2 users liked this post by Desert Hiker:
99Gsp (11-17-2016), Uncle Fishbits (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 09:44 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

This is always an issue with installed GPS. The Garmin model for portable units provides lifetime updates. At one point, there were only two database providers so Garmin can succeed without having to charge for each update but auto manufacturers consider the update an extra cost accessory.
I use a Garmin RV unit in my truck but I like the clean and more space efficient installed units in my cars. I also like to glance at the map and any phone is too small for that while driving. Besides, I pay cell by the minute.
On the small number of trips we take, I have noticed new roads and rerouted roads so an updated GPS seems useful. I wish I knew the optimum time to go without an update. All said, however, $200 has always seemed like robbery to me.
Larry

Old 11-15-2016, 10:06 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

If $200 meant a quality GPS solution I'd happily pay it. Sadly even with updated maps the interface is so awful that it's near unusable. Plus, I've had my car nearly a year now and even when I first got it the maps were so painfully out of date that I had to abandon the in-car GPS pretty much immediately.

The following 3 users liked this post by LobsterClaws:
Burt Gummer (02-17-2017), Lookout! (11-24-2016), Uncle Fishbits (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 10:27 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I use both the in car system as well as Waze / Google Maps. I prefer the integrated nature of the in car system and size of screen however use my iPhone when I know there are roadworks or traffic is likely to be unpredictable.

I do strongly feel that in today's world of free updates (Apple iOS / Appstore) and over the air updates like Tesla offer - software updates should be free from car manufacturers.

And not only map updates but system updates (engine CPU etc) as well. Its all so non transparent and definitely not made freely available

Old 11-15-2016, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
I wish I knew the optimum time to go without an update. All said, however, $200 has always seemed like robbery to me.
Larry
I have updated every 3-4 years on my MINI (Navteq like the Jag) and that seems serviceable. That $200 cost for a nationwide update hasn't changed since at least 2002.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

I think I've used the navigation system perhaps half a dozen times, so the $199 update is kind of silly. Do they ever discount it after some period of time?

Old 11-15-2016, 12:40 PM

Not that I have seen and now they are tied to your VIN with a password so the old opportunity to buy an old one on Ebay is gone.
Larry

Old 11-15-2016, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Since the interface and mapping is painful, correct. I had a half second of hope that they might update the entire infotainment.... I wonder if that's even an option. But they are competing for branded and proprietary software so they don't give up the data to the larger companies who are already in decent position within that market. Since the Jag maps tried to send me to sketchy dead ends and closed roads on my road trip, I'll stick with Waze.

If any of you are ever bored, run waze and the car maps concurrently. It's a hoot.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:04 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Haven't turned on the nav once in 2 years. Integrated nav systems in cars are basically a joke. Slow, easily out of date (even after an update), and cumbersome to use.

The only plus is the complete offline usability if you are in an area with no data and your phone doesn't have a cached version of the area's map.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Since the interface and mapping is painful, correct. I had a half second of hope that they might update the entire infotainment.... I wonder if that's even an option. But they are competing for branded and proprietary software so they don't give up the data to the larger companies who are already in decent position within that market. Since the Jag maps tried to send me to sketchy dead ends and closed roads on my road trip, I'll stick with Waze.

If any of you are ever bored, run waze and the car maps concurrently. It's a hoot.
I asked about the rest of the infotainment system. Nope, just a maps update.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:43 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

The whole system is archaic and slow. My girlfriend's cla250 is light years ahead and better to use. I've ran both at the same time as waze, my car goes some crazy routes considering all three route options. Not even close to the waze route.
On the cla about 90 percent of the time it was a very similar as waze but never exact.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Hiker
Received the same offer and just laughed. Don't they know that Waze is free, better, more current than fixed nav systems, and fully integrated with my contact list of my POIs? At some point, Jag (and other auto nav map purvayors) should re-examine the value, competition, and pricing for these map updates.

Desert Hiker
I agree. I love the vehicle even with the sub par infotainment system. I am very disappointed that given the purchase price of this luxury sportscar, Jaguar still insists of nickel and diming the owner base with this type of a for fee update. Somethings should just be provided for owner satisfaction at least during the initial warranty and/or "no cost" maintenance coverage period.

I'll keep the current map database. If I run into trouble using it due to outdated information I'll use Google Maps or Waze.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

I'll add a caution to getting the update. Make sure the mapping company has actually updated the area where you live. Many assume all the latest road changes will be included universally, but each year's edition is typically for select areas.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:41 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
I'll add a caution to getting the update. Make sure the mapping company has actually updated the area where you live.
How do we do that?

Old 11-19-2016, 05:19 AM

I do not think you can do that anymore. Once upon a time you could go to the Navteq/Here website and it would contain that detail. Not so today...probably so they can sell more updates. I am still amazed that Garmin can provide the updates for free but car manufacturers cannot.
Larry

Old 11-19-2016, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

I do not think you can do that anymore. Once upon a time you could go to the Navteq/Here website and it would contain that detail. Not so today...probably so they can sell more updates. I am still amazed that Garmin can provide the updates for free but car manufacturers cannot.
Larry
That's because Garmin makes it's money on the equipment. Navteq has to charge for the software since that's the only thing they sell.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
That's because Garmin makes it's money on the equipment. Navteq has to charge for the software since that's the only thing they sell.
My point is that the car manufacturer makes money on its equipment and should just bake in the cost of upgrades. Let HERE get their money from the equipment suppliers, not the end user. There are car brands that offer free NAV upgrades for the duration of the OEM warranty, but apparently not Jaguar. Just a niggle, doesn't diminish my love for the car.

Larry

Old 11-19-2016, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member

My point is that the car manufacturer makes money on its equipment and should just bake in the cost of upgrades. Let HERE get their money from the equipment suppliers, not the end user. There are car brands that offer free NAV upgrades for the duration of the OEM warranty, but apparently not Jaguar. Just a niggle, doesn't diminish my love for the car.

Larry
I see your point, but since that courtesy was not extended on any of my other cars (Gen 1 & 2 MINIs), it isn't an expectation on my part.