Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new owner, consolidating all my dumb questions here =D

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 02:57 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new owner, consolidating all my dumb questions here =D

hi, 2017 V6 base vert, 26k miles, CPO car =) it occurred to me to quit randomly diving other threads and just post a few q's here. i sold my 2016 corvette Z06 vert because i just HAD to have a motorcycle again for the first time in a few years now. then my dumb *** realized that i really do need a car, sometimes.

the seats in this car don't lean back far, at all. i noticed there's a TON of empty space behind the gas/brake pedal. any way to move the pedals forward, meaning toward the front of the car? even when standing on the brake pedal there's still about a mile of empty space behind it, sooooo.. you thinkin' what i'm thinking?

whats the safe HP/torque numbers to reach, at least ballpark, without swapping engine parts?

has anyone had any warranty related troubles pertaining to fully disabling the eco stop nonsense? i suppose if one is taking ones car to the *********** for something involved, you can just hook it back up, eh..

anyone had any trouble with their VS forged rims? not BC forged, i mean VS forged.. the ones mentioned in at least one group buy thread so far.

Last edited by GGG; 06-02-2021 at 10:13 AM. Reason: See my PM
Old 05-31-2021, 03:04 PM
Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Shhhhh. You have the fastest car in North Korea.

Old 05-31-2021, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by phalse
edit; what in the hell is the word s t e a l e r s h i p censored for? why is anything censored at all? this isnt north korea...
It's an impolite and prejudicial word, and insults diligent people who work there, some of whom take their own time to provide technical assistance to forums.

The following 2 users liked this post by lizzardo:
MK18 (05-31-2021), SVR 575 (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 07:40 PM
Banned

i see. bit of a generalization there, wouldn't you say? also, since when should such things supersede free speech? using a pejorative to describe something that happens so often as to render it a cliche means that ALL of the persons working at a/any dealership are for sure 100% bad, every one of them? what nonsense.

and we're to erode our freedom of speech for this?

why so serious? but if you've thoughts on max HP before swapping internals for example, feel free to share..

Old 05-31-2021, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

Gooday! Others are much more on it than me, but with the VAP pulley and tune which seems to be the choice of many (and I have it to great effect) with few reported issues, the figures are about 450hp, I'm not sure about torque because you guys use a different measure to us https://www.velocityap.com/product-c...jaguar/f-type/. At 450hp the car is fantastic.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Gooday! Others are much more on it than me, but with the VAP pulley and tune which seems to be the choice of many (and I have it to great effect) with few reported issues, the figures are about 450hp, I'm not sure about torque because you guys use a different measure to us https://www.velocityap.com/product-c...jaguar/f-type/. At 450hp the car is fantastic.
Per the linked VAP page (after clicking through a few choices) the quoted torque figures are:
Stock: 332 ft/lb
Tuned: 440 ft/lb
Or in Euro/Oz/non-stone age figures, 450 Nm to 596 Nm.
Either way that is a 36% increase in torque so quite a hefty bang for your buck.
And best of all, much of that increase comes in lower down the rev range and in the mid range and not just at the top end so it greatly improves throttle response mid range acceleration.
The VAP "tune only" takes the torque from 332 ft/lb to 353 ft/lb so only a 6% bump, and most of that is at the top end.
I had the "tune only" to start with then went to "pulley plus tune" and the increase in throttle response and mid range acceleration was yuge!

Old 05-31-2021, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

i see. bit of a generalization there, wouldn't you say? also, since when should such things supersede free speech? using a pejorative to describe something that happens so often as to render it a cliche means that ALL of the persons working at a/any dealership are for sure 100% bad, every one of them? what nonsense.

why so serious? but if you've thoughts on max HP before swapping internals for example, feel free to share..
I have nothing to do with running the forum but you asked, I answered. I think the generalization was on your part, not mine. I'm not saying that there aren't dishonest dealers, but individuals who work at dealers who might provide helpful answers are less inclined to do so if you paint them with a broad brush of dishonesty.

Max HP? Common bolt-on or reprogramming updates should get you to 435-ish HP, and maybe the same in torque. The VAP site has figures to pore over. I'm assuming you've got the automatic, so you're not limited with the design of the 6MT. A tune and lower pulley puts the V6 close to the specified limits of the manual.

The following 2 users liked this post by lizzardo:
sov211 (06-01-2021), SVR 575 (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 09:04 PM
Banned

oh damn, around +100 torque with a canned tune? ok, and whats the transmission rated for? wiki shows the 8hp70 as rated for 516 but its unclear just which version that is, though i'm assuming we all just err on the side of caution with that. plus at a much sooner point i'd have issues with hte fact that my car has no LSD, before i'm at a point where i'm maxing out the transmission. not gonna track this car, i have a motorcycle for that sort of thing. this is a GT car and i'll treat it as such. some VSforged+ps4s are getting thrown on at some point and perhaps an exhaust.. the usual low level stuff. no big deal.

edit;
https://www.velocityap.com/product/j...ission-tuning/
....conspicuously absent on this forum at least that i've seen, is any mention of trans tuning. anyone used this or similar products to give their transmission the business? on the corvette side, all people do is complain about the shifts on the 8L90 tremec transmission and its half the reason i sold mine =P my rare grey-on-grey vert auto would slog on down the road such that it made me wanna go back to 2-wheeled life. then i caved and got another car and here we are, buuuuuut no one mentions their transmission?

Last edited by phalse; 05-31-2021 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

oh damn, around +100 torque with a canned tune? ok, and whats the transmission rated for? wiki shows the 8hp70 as rated for 516 but its unclear just which version that is, though i'm assuming we all just err on the side of caution with that. plus at a much sooner point i'd have issues with hte fact that my car has no LSD, before i'm at a point where i'm maxing out the transmission. not gonna track this car, i have a motorcycle for that sort of thing. this is a GT car and i'll treat it as such. some VSforged+ps4s are getting thrown on at some point and perhaps an exhaust.. the usual low level stuff. no big deal.
The ZF 8HP70 is rated for 700 Nm max torque (that's what the "70" signifies) and surprise surprise that converts to 516 ft/lb.
But by all reports that's a very safe/conservative rating and it can handle a fair bit more with zero mods.
And the F-Type has the exact same version of the ZF 8HP70 across the range regardless of which engine it is running, even the 575 PS version of the V8 although that is right on the stated limit of the gearbox.
Bottom line - putting the VAP crank pulley and tune on the V6 taking it to 596 Nm is well within the range of the auto trans but you may struggle for traction with no LSD.

Old 05-31-2021, 09:36 PM
Banned

i see, thanks, that's helpful. if there's room to grow then surely a trans tune isn't unsafe.

gentlemen, should i have the onboard software updated, infotainment and that sort of thing, or avoid it? i'm assuming its hard or impossible to go back to a prior version, as with various other makes/brands. i did see 1-2 mentions of someones exhaust changing after a software update, and not for the better..

Old 05-31-2021, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

"Free speech" doesn't work that way.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mahjik:
fuzzysquid (06-03-2021), MK18 (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

There was some ...errr... spirited discussion recently concerning the transmission tune, you should find it if you search the threads (I would for you but I dont have the hang of it). The issue is that the transmission - fantastic as it is especially compared to the previous ZF I had in the XKR - can be quite laggy if you mash the pedal. It essentially will be sitting a gear or two higher than you want (eg in 5th at 40mph) then you plant your foot, the car thinks about it and has a bit of a conniption then drops down to seconds and then just about ***** itself then changes back up to third where it piles it on. The issue is that if you have done it to charge through a light that has turned orange, the light is red by the time the car gets itself sorted out. The tune apparently rectifies that but then there was not agreement on how safe it is. Absent a tune, not mashing the pedal gets you there quicker.

By the way, that's a beautiful corvette. We dont get them over here from dealers but I saw one a few days ago that had been imported and was sold second or third hand for about $180K in our money, which is pretty close to yours.

Old 06-01-2021, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

edit;
https://www.velocityap.com/product/j...ission-tuning/
....conspicuously absent on this forum at least that i've seen, is any mention of trans tuning. anyone used this or similar products to give their transmission the business?
on the corvette side, all people do is complain about the shifts on the 8L90 tremec transmission and its half the reason i sold mine =P my rare grey-on-grey vert auto would slog on down the road such that it made me wanna go back to 2-wheeled life. then i caved and got another car and here we are, buuuuuut no one mentions their transmission?

Try the search feature on the forum. It works well. There are quite a number of answers to your questions, including the transmission general info and tunes. I have the VAP TCU tune for the 8HP70 and no issues. Lots more info in several posts on here elsewhere. To tune the TCU, you have to also purchase (included with tune) an HPTunner device/OBDII cable and enough credits to read and write the tune file (again...VAP includes that with the tune file).

DC

The following users liked this post:
Sparky H (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 359 Posts

...and we're to erode our freedom of speech for this?
There's no freedom of speech in a private forum, never mind that this forum is based out of Europe. The first amendment only applies to the U.S. government and has no bearing on private organizations or individuals. They could edit everything you type to say "I love puppies" and you would have no legal recourse. I personally don't like profanity filters, but I get enough good information from this forum that I'll not bitch about it. I've also complained about dealer experiences with no cencorship.

Onto your questions. I disabled my eco stop/start the first week I had my car. It's how I found this forum three years ago. I have had no issues and I've gotten my free service from the dealer every year.

The following users liked this post:
scm (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 08:30 PM
Banned

does the MT version have any provisions for moving/modifying the pedals? at this point i'm seriously considering doing unintelligent things to the pedals just to get them a tad further away from me. the half mile or so between the pedals and tub/firewall means that there's surely SOME room to move them to the fore... right? ha.

placed my order for VSForged rims, now the waiting begins xD

Old 06-01-2021, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member

I don't think I've ever seen that question asked here before, so you get points for originality. Even the MT has no published adjustments for pedal position. I haven't even stood on my head under the dash to look at the mechanisms there to see if there is something in the mechanism that could be shifted. It might be possible to replace just a pushrod with a modified one to get the brake pedal moved or alternately get a used pedal and modify that.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:15 AM
Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

does the MT version have any provisions for moving/modifying the pedals? at this point i'm seriously considering doing unintelligent things to the pedals just to get them a tad further away from me. the half mile or so between the pedals and tub/firewall means that there's surely SOME room to move them to the fore... right? ha.

placed my order for VSForged rims, now the waiting begins xD
You said it LOL

Old 06-02-2021, 10:53 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

The observant will notice OP phalse status has been upgraded from Member to Banned.

The temporary 7 Day Ban is not for using a censored word which is automatically replaced with *********** but for subsequently and deliberately circumventing forum censorship to display the word. It comes with a warning that any repetition will result in a Permanent Ban.

Forum membership is a privilege and not a right. Membership can and will be suspended or removed from anyone who thinks the few rules we do have don't apply to them.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
sov211 (06-06-2021), Sparky H (06-02-2021), Therock88 (06-02-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Phalse, I couldn't respond to your PM since you have blocked them in your settings. Answer: 20" rims will fit all the F-Types. If you are going with 265/305 fr/rr tires you want maximum offsets of 45 front/28 rear. That is assumming no change in 9.0/10.5 fr/rear wheel widths. Increasing the wheel width will require a change in those offsets.