F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new owner, saying hi

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default new owner, saying hi

I sold my Audi R8 (2010 V10) and bought an FType V8S.
Had the car for 400 miles now, over the span of two weeks. Really only drive on weekends.
Black cyclone wheels, black exterior, red interior, maxed out (I didn't build it, but took advantage that someone else did and then fell through on the sale).
I probably would have put on the carbon package (not the wheels, but the hoops and the side vent thing) - but I like mine enough as it is.

Car is currently going back to the dealer as there are paint issues in the body panel joints by the rear wheels.

And then yesterday something kicked up on the road and messed up the driver's side side skirt.

I've had a bunch of cars and never have I run into issues like that immediately - but in the end, all I care about is the sound.

Other than that, the car is just fantastic.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny you should mention paint issues in the body panel joints down by rear wheels. I had exactly same issue on BOTH sides - on one side, too much paint, which resembled bubbling or over spray, on the other side, not enough paint. Mine is black too.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:29 PM

Did you complain to the dealer about it, and/or do anything to get it fixed?

Mine looks like it had bubbles, and then they got pushed away, leaving little white circles in the black paint (assuming the underlying plastic is white).

At first I thought it was wax in the joint, or teflon tape from shipping - so I picked at it, and then saw I was making it worse and it was the paint.

Even went so far as to wonder if it was a (bad) wrap job, but doesn't seem to be.

The rock that kicked up hit the same panel but down lower, and I am not sure if it cracked the plastic, or just put a gouge into it.

I don't know if they take the panel off when fixing the paint issue, if so maybe they can fix the other issue - if not - curious how much the panel costs to fix/replace.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by omgomg
Did you complain to the dealer about it, and/or do anything to get it fixed?

Mine looks like it had bubbles, and then they got pushed away, leaving little white circles in the black paint (assuming the underlying plastic is white).

At first I thought it was wax in the joint, or teflon tape from shipping - so I picked at it, and then saw I was making it worse and it was the paint.

Even went so far as to wonder if it was a (bad) wrap job, but doesn't seem to be.

The rock that kicked up hit the same panel but down lower, and I am not sure if it cracked the plastic, or just put a gouge into it.

I don't know if they take the panel off when fixing the paint issue, if so maybe they can fix the other issue - if not - curious how much the panel costs to fix/replace.
The way you're describing it is exactly what I saw on one side - the white color and I thought the same thing about wax or teflon protection wrap. I didn't mess around with the other side. Fortunately, I found both at the time of purchase and got a "we owe you" in writing for a fix. They will need to remove the panels to properly address the issue, so expect to leave it for 2-3 days. I took delivery as it was the Friday before Labor Day and I wanted the car for the long weekend, but took it back the week after to get it fixed. It's fine now.

I also had a slight chip in the finish of one of the wheels that they addressed, flawlessly I might add.

Not sure on the other body work that you'll need. I suspect it's cheaper to repair than replace.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:05 PM

Sounds good - thanks for the response(s)!

Old 10-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Ultimimate Black

I've got the same problem between the panels, looks like they didn't let the paint dry long enough before assembly. I will be ugly to sort.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:36 AM

So three of us with the issue and all the same color.

Are the other colors a non-issue, or are they not as noticeable?
Something about the color that's goofy? (obviously not actually the color, but the process/paint, different?)

I haven't heard back from the dealer yet on my car - but interesting to see that it is definitely "a thing"

Old 10-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the British Racing Green and had the same paint problem on both sides of the car. I took it to the dealer last Monday and got it back last Friday. The dealer sent it to a nearby body shop that specializes in high-end European cars. They do take the bottom panel off and sand/repaint it. It looks like they did a good job.

When I first took in in, the service manager said he had not seen that before. However, we found that they had a black one in the showroom with the same paint problem. Apparently, no one had noticed it.

Below is a picture of mine before it was fixed:

Attached Thumbnails new owner, saying hi-407802912.jpg  
Old 10-28-2013, 12:13 PM

yes, it looks very familiar to what I had on one side in the same exact spot and on the other side it was bubbly throughout the seam.

Both sides needed to be fixed. I'm not sure it I'm glad it wasn't just me or if I'm concerned this seems wide spread on these 2 colors. But, why limited to only this area of the car I wonder too.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:57 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

On mine, it almost looks like the panels were painted after they were mated. The seam almost looks like it's full of paint. My flaw is small enough that I haven't done anything about it yet.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by thorton-1
I have the British Racing Green and had the same paint problem on both sides of the car. I took it to the dealer last Monday and got it back last Friday. The dealer sent it to a nearby body shop that specializes in high-end European cars. They do take the bottom panel off and sand/repaint it. It looks like they did a good job.

When I first took in in, the service manager said he had not seen that before. However, we found that they had a black one in the showroom with the same paint problem. Apparently, no one had noticed it.

Below is a picture of mine before it was fixed:

I think that saying is fairly standard across the board at most new car service depts....."I have not seen that before" or "You are the first customer who has had this problem". Hmmmmmm. Dealers......