F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner, sigh of relief

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2024, 10:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New owner, sigh of relief

This afternoon I was able to breathe a sigh of relief, as my online purchase of a 2017 SVR was delivered and i don’t see any major issues. To be honest, until today, I’ve never seen a SVR in person, and I had never rode or sat in a F-type. This is SVR is even more beautiful than I expected, and an absolute joy to drive.

‘The only issue that I have found so far is a slight vibration when going 75+ miles an hour or so. The tires, pads and rotors are all brand new and installed by a jag dealership where I purchased it. Alignment and balance was done as well. Some a little concerned on what that might be. I was wondering if anyone might have any thoughts based on their experience.

(BTW, I know the SVR logos on the side should be removed, just haven’t gotten to it yet.)

The following 4 users liked this post by Wildething70:
bobjagbob (Yesterday), BruceTheQuail (10-03-2024), DMeister (10-03-2024), Thunderjet Racing (10-03-2024)
Old 10-03-2024, 02:30 AM
Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Congratulations! As I assume that you haven't had much experience with the car yet, have you to tried to go 75+ on several varied road surfaces to be sure it isn't just an issue created by one particular road service you're testing on?

Could a wheel be slightly out of balance?

One long-shot thing to look at is the rear wing -- it is motorized and will raise at 70 mph+ ..... is it possible the screws that attach the wing to the articulating arms aren't a bit loose - loose enough to cause a vibration at speed? To check screws, turn the ignition on - do not start the motor -- by pressing the start button w/ no foot on brake. Once ignition is on, press an hold the rear spoiler lift button on the center console for a few seconds to raise the spoiler. Once raised, you can go back to check the 4 Torx screws on the underside of the wing for tightness.

If those 2 ideas produce nothing, try to recreate the vibration again, paying special attention to speed, whether vibration is from front, rear, left, right, driving mode chosen, etc. There are lots of great minds here that can help whittle the issue down.

Last edited by Dillweed; 10-03-2024 at 02:35 AM.
Old 10-03-2024, 04:59 AM
Received 136 Likes on 112 Posts

I thought SVR wings were stationary?

With a new to you car bought from a reputable dealership everything is trust but verify. First thing I’d do is drive to a Discount Tire and get them to spin up the wheel/tire assemblies. What tires are on the car? “New” isn’t great if the dealership installed some crap Chinese tires.

Old 10-03-2024, 05:25 AM
Received 199 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildething70
This afternoon I was able to breathe a sigh of relief, as my online purchase of a 2017 SVR was delivered and i don’t see any major issues. To be honest, until today, I’ve never seen a SVR in person, and I had never rode or sat in a F-type. This is SVR is even more beautiful than I expected, and an absolute joy to drive.

‘The only issue that I have found so far is a slight vibration when going 75+ miles an hour or so. The tires, pads and rotors are all brand new and installed by a jag dealership where I purchased it. Alignment and balance was done as well. Some a little concerned on what that might be. I was wondering if anyone might have any thoughts based on their experience.

(BTW, I know the SVR logos on the side should be removed, just haven’t gotten to it yet.)
Wow, that is one beautiful looking SVR. Great colour.

If you have some certainty that the car was never in an accident etc then your problems must be something simple like is being suggested. I predict you addressing this minor issue and going onto many years of enjoyment.

Congrats

Old 10-03-2024, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Robtrt8
I thought SVR wings were stationary?

With a new to you car bought from a reputable dealership everything is trust but verify. First thing I’d do is drive to a Discount Tire and get them to spin up the wheel/tire assemblies. What tires are on the car? “New” isn’t great if the dealership installed some crap Chinese tires.
Videos on the SVR that I’ve seen showed a deployable wing.

Old 10-03-2024, 07:13 AM
Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Jaguar has the best red paint. Their other paint colors rock of course too.

The following users liked this post:
Wildething70 (10-03-2024)
Old 10-03-2024, 07:40 AM
Received 516 Likes on 206 Posts

Excuse me if someone has already mentioned this, but make sure the wheels and tires are Road Force Balanced. I had a tire balanced and could tell it wasn't balanced correctly so I took it back to Discount Tire where the work was done and they Road Force Balanced it to correct the problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by SassySarah:
Golfnutjtl (10-03-2024), Robtrt8 (10-03-2024)
Old 10-03-2024, 11:02 AM
Received 210 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by TangledThorns
Jaguar has the best red paint. Their other paint colors rock of course too.
I agree, it's really nice but I've seen a couple of cars in, "Candy Apple Red," that were over the top gorgeous. And of course, there are those obscure Italian cars, what's their name?...oh, Ferrari. Ferrari Red is pretty impressive, as well.

Old 10-03-2024, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dillweed
Congratulations! As I assume that you haven't had much experience with the car yet, have you to tried to go 75+ on several varied road surfaces to be sure it isn't just an issue created by one particular road service you're testing on?

Could a wheel be slightly out of balance?

One long-shot thing to look at is the rear wing -- it is motorized and will raise at 70 mph+ ..... is it possible the screws that attach the wing to the articulating arms aren't a bit loose - loose enough to cause a vibration at speed? To check screws, turn the ignition on - do not start the motor -- by pressing the start button w/ no foot on brake. Once ignition is on, press an hold the rear spoiler lift button on the center console for a few seconds to raise the spoiler. Once raised, you can go back to check the 4 Torx screws on the underside of the wing for tightness.

If those 2 ideas produce nothing, try to recreate the vibration again, paying special attention to speed, whether vibration is from front, rear, left, right, driving mode chosen, etc. There are lots of great minds here that can help whittle the issue down.
I appreciate all your suggestions. The only time I felt it is when I was on a very smooth road and the vehicle was very smooth until I got up to about 70 mile an hour and then the vibration occurred. It was repeatable. I did it several times on the same 10 miles stretch of highway.

My first thought was an out of balance wheel, so I’m not ruling that out, even though the vehicle was just at a dealership and had brand new tires with a balance, and an alignment.

I checked the Torx screws on the and they were not loose but that was great suggestion.

I think what I’m going to have to do is go back out and drive that exact same stretch of road which I can probably do this weekend and see if it is still there. My son suggested that since this vehicle set for 45 to 60 days at the dealership in a warehouse on a rack, that may be the new tires just had a flat spot on one of them.

Old 10-03-2024, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by DMeister
Wow, that is one beautiful looking SVR. Great colour.

If you have some certainty that the car was never in an accident etc then your problems must be something simple like is being suggested. I predict you addressing this minor issue and going onto many years of enjoyment.

Congrats
Like I said I had never seen an SVR in real life and it really baffles me how beautiful they look. Don’t give me wrong the Rs look really nice and so do the S trims but something about the SVR and the extra added details that just really make it pop. Miley certainty that it hasn’t been an accident is the Carfax report. But I assumed those are pretty accurate.

Old 10-03-2024, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by SassySarah
Excuse me if someone has already mentioned this, but make sure the wheels and tires are Road Force Balanced. I had a tire balanced and could tell it wasn't balanced correctly so I took it back to Discount Tire where the work was done and they Road Force Balanced it to correct the problem.
This is a very good idea. I didn’t know that there were different types of balancing. I thought balancing was balancing. I may call the Jag dealership that serviced the vehicle and sold it to me and see if they can tell me if they did a road force balance or not on the vehicle. I also inquired today about getting the actual inspection report they supposedly did on the vehicle prior to doing the replacement of the brake pads rotors and tires. Thank you very much for the suggestion!

Old 10-03-2024, 08:17 PM
Received 476 Likes on 259 Posts

Yes, don't assume just because they have been recently balanced that they were done correctly or the wheel wasn't cleaned properly prior to balancing and one/some/all of the stick-on weights have been flung off. I recently got new tires on my truck and all four tires were mounted and balanced and an alignment was done. Left the tire place and there was a noticeable vibration at highway speeds. Brought it right back and they rebalanced them all and the problem went away. The skill/experience of the tech doing the balancing is a big factor. For all you know, the tech could have only been working there for two weeks.

The following 3 users liked this post by Thunder Dump:
Golfnutjtl (10-03-2024), scm (Yesterday), Wildething70 (10-03-2024)
Old Yesterday, 04:16 AM

Like I said I had never seen an SVR in real life and it really baffles me how beautiful they look. Don’t give me wrong the Rs look really nice and so do the S trims but something about the SVR and the extra added details that just really make it pop. Miley certainty that it hasn’t been an accident is the Carfax report. But I assumed those are pretty accurate.
Oh, I agree. The little details on the looks of the SVR make quite an impact over the R. Surprisingly so, as in reality the differences aren’t huge. Just something about the changes brings a different character/vibe for sure.

I still kinda wish they had gotten around to making an SVR version of the newest gen F-type like I have. That would have been interesting to see.

Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM
Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

The vibe at 70 sure sounds like a tire. My F-Type is smooth at reasonable speeds but when driving in Mexico at higher speeds, it did highlight just how poorly a job the tire balance machine did. Faster = worse. Is yours this way?

Road force balance is a good suggestion. They run the tire on a roller to determine if its balance changes with a simulated load on it. A quality road force machine can also find a defective tire.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Received 210 Likes on 133 Posts

Don’t give me wrong the Rs look really nice and so do the S trims but something about the SVR and the extra added details that just really make it pop.
Aesthetically, be it a woman, a car, or whatever, a truly beautiful shape needs nothing extra.

All F Types are gorgeous.