Sponsored by:

New Remote App

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by SinF
I understand convenience of this app, but consider for a moment what you are actually enabling. By activating this feature you allow two-way communication over internet with your car. This includes information offered through your app, but it also includes other type of information available through your infotainment system, like your car's GPS coordinates, your contact list, and your call history.

Hopefully, you never have to deal with this, but if this information is uploaded from your car, it also means that it is stored, internationally, and it also means that it is much easier for law enforcement for any jurisdiction and international litigants to access it. So don't park your F-type outside your mistress' house unless you have bulletproof prenap, as you don't even have to be followed and photographed anymore for this to turn up.

For privacy reasons, I never activated this feature and never consented to data collection. Doesn't mean this data is not collected, but at least JLR doesn't have my permission to do so. Still, when I have to attend sensitive matters I leave my phone in the office and drive one of my all-analog classic cars.

The largest offender I have come across yer is the FB Messenger app. If it is installed on any device it automatically records sound and video 24/7 no matter what as per the T&C. This has been going on for 5 years so beware if you have that app on your devices. I have a boring life so they can spy on my all they want, but if I was my younger self I would be very afraid of todays tech.

As a FYI, my XE Remote App hasn't worked since 12/23/16 for some reason. IT says the car is asleep and will wake up next time it is used, I used it 3 times a day since and it won't wake up. I wonder if this is when the app was updated and mine fell out of sync?

I dont trust this app as it says my doors are unlocked or engine is running at times and it is not the case so I think they need to polish this more as my 2014 Dodge remote app works perfect every single time!

I am using an iPhone 7+ if that matters.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

Anyone else notice that when you open the app you have to press so many clicks to get the result you want each time you use the app?

Comparing to my other cars remote app the Jaguar app makes you press okay each time you open the app about local laws ( this should be a 1 time thing). Then to choose lock or unlock that is another click to another window then to be followed up but yet another click for your choice and then finally the pin code. Thats a lot of clicks just to lock or unlock a door if you ask me. I have the Dodge, GM, MB, DEI apps and all of them open to the target page and you click the item you want right from there and then your pin. Just 2 clicks for any action and your done.

I am just a picky ******* but I bought the car for the convenience features and it is lesser than the rest. End Rant, lol.

BTW, I do love the Apple Watch interactions, that alone is well worth it and very easy to use!

Old 12-30-2016, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

My biggest gripe is how long it takes to contact the car and update the status upon launching the app. Sometimes mine will take 2 minutes. I've found that if I don't wait until it says "vehicle contacted: just now," any command issued to start the engine will not take effect even if the app indicates that the motor is running. Same deal with the watch app.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:23 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Jaguar should divert the R&D funds allocated towards the stop/start function and spend it on fixing this app. Two for one fix.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I 100% disagree. I could care less if they ripped entire "infotainment system" out, apps and all. It is awful anyways, and not why we bought the car. Just drive the car with the top down and the loud button on. Leave apps to Facebook and likes.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:05 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I mostly agree with SinF. The only App I want is to have a Navigation system since I use my car as a Touring car. But my wish list would be a nav database that offers free updates as in the Garmin model.

Larry

Old 12-30-2016, 10:09 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
not why we bought the car.
This is very true.