Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? new sound MY19 R

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 12:55 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default ? new sound MY19 R

Hi,

I recently noticed a new sound that I am investigating, so details still coming. Don’t notice it on startup, when idle while driving is where I notice. Dynamic( drive dynamic sport once warmed up) vs normal mode doesn’t seem to change. No issues driving. Sometimes even feel vibrations in my legs on the seat. Audio file attached. This is in a parking lot in drive and then park from inside the car. Can hear the cyclical rate. Will try to get a better quality and listen more when driving to see if I can hear it and what changes it.

Thank you in advance!

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
New Recording 18.mp3 (109.8 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by Pie944; 10-07-2020 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Maybe bad muffler valve if coming from exhaust. Serious if coming from the engine compartment.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Maybe bad muffler valve if coming from exhaust. Serious if coming from the engine compartment.
Thanks. Will try to listen more tomorrow morning on the drive from work to home.

Made an appointment for this Monday. Will see if I can get in sooner.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:48 AM

Made an appointment online for Monday but called and they took a look today. Here are two videos, one is cut short, had to adjust format and downgrade quality to upload. It seems to be related to the supercharger, going to replace the snout I believe. Said it is fine to drive until parts come in.

Attached Files
File Type: avi
65yxc-4l865.avi (1.13 MB, 36 views)
File Type: avi
iugx0-8rx3m.avi (491.1 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Pie944; 10-08-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:27 AM

Well despite being told I could drive it when my wife was driving it home last night the oil light came on apparently. Checked the status and says "under filled." No oil spots in garage and park in same couple spots for work and never noticed anything either. This seems to be getting worse.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:58 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Lucky you. My SC snout will be replaced in a few weeks as well. Be sure to add oil if it’s low before driving to the dealer.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:50 AM

Snout is in, but they can’t take the car until next Monday.

In terms of the under filled oil warning, curious what people would do. I was planning on buying some from the dealer and placing some in the car as directed by the manual. Seems easier than asking for a flatbed etc?

If you guys put the recommended supplemental amount in and it still said under filled would you ask for them to come take it? Just worried about a sensor error and overfilling it.

Also, what if when I check before I fill it that the oil level is now worse than under filled, I think it’s called critical low? Would you just have the dealer come get the car at that point?

thank you in advance

Old 10-12-2020, 12:21 PM
Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts

Before you start the car, turn on the ignition. (Press start button w foot off brake). Then check your oil level. Each gradation of the scale represents 1/10th of a quart of oil. If the oil if off the scale low, then its probably a quart or more low. Grab a quart of synthetic 0W-20 or 5W-20. At this point its better to have any oil in there than the perfect oil. If you can get Castrol Professional Synthetic, then great, otherwise any syn will do. Add the appropriate amount. If its off the scale, I'd add 1/2 to 3/4 and check just to see where indicator is and then bring it up to full after you have a better idea how much to add. Let the shop know how much you added. You'll probably want an oil change if you've been running low. Also I'd be curious if you would share if your noise went away after adding oil and before the snout replacement. Also curious how long its been since the last oil change. There is some reason to be concerned if you're consuming a lot of oil.

Wishing you the best of luck.

Old 10-12-2020, 12:30 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by ferrral
Before you start the car, turn on the ignition. (Press start button w foot off brake). Then check your oil level.
Make sure your car is on level ground - I've found mine can show overfilled if the car is pointing slightly (and I mean slightly!) downhill. OK when level, fortunately.

The following users liked this post:
ferrral (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by scm
Make sure your car is on level ground - I've found mine can show overfilled if the car is pointing slightly (and I mean slightly!) downhill. OK when level, fortunately.
I wish, but same place as always in the garage.

Old 10-12-2020, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by ferrral
Before you start the car, turn on the ignition. (Press start button w foot off brake). Then check your oil level. Each gradation of the scale represents 1/10th of a quart of oil. If the oil if off the scale low, then its probably a quart or more low. Grab a quart of synthetic 0W-20 or 5W-20. At this point its better to have any oil in there than the perfect oil. If you can get Castrol Professional Synthetic, then great, otherwise any syn will do. Add the appropriate amount. If its off the scale, I'd add 1/2 to 3/4 and check just to see where indicator is and then bring it up to full after you have a better idea how much to add. Let the shop know how much you added. You'll probably want an oil change if you've been running low. Also I'd be curious if you would share if your noise went away after adding oil and before the snout replacement. Also curious how long its been since the last oil change. There is some reason to be concerned if you're consuming a lot of oil.

Wishing you the best of luck.
Is this the right oil?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-E...BoCWTAQAvD_BwE

I had the oil changed in June(2020) with the maintenance, did the same June prior without issues during the course of the year. So I am concerned why so much is being consumed and find it hard to believe that the noise and the oil consumption aren't connected.

Paul

Old 10-12-2020, 01:47 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

i wouldn't mess with it and just get a flatbed to the dealer, all these issues and oil going low might mean something

Old 10-12-2020, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Holy F type
i wouldn't mess with it and just get a flatbed to the dealer, all these issues and oil going low might mean something
Curious what people think, I don't want to cause a burden and the dealership is 2.9 miles away door to door, same town.

Old 10-12-2020, 01:51 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Pie944
Curious what people think, I don't want to cause a burden and the dealership is 2.9 miles away door to door, same town.
the video you posted doesn't sound too good. i wouldn't take risks with a 100k car

The following users liked this post:
ferrral (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 02:54 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

The recommended oil is Castrol Edge Pro OE - hard to find, and there are other oil vendors that meet the obscure JLR spec now (there are multiple threads on that.) As others mentioned, throwing any synthetic 5W-20 (or 0W-20, depending on what you use) would be fine to get it to the dealer, assuming the oil is going to get changed as part of all this.

Note that the recommended procedure is to check the oil after the car been off for 10 minutes, BUT THE OIL IS STILL HOT. (This is in the V6 Repair Manual. This matches the conditions of the when the oil was filled.) I was shocked when I checked it after the car sat overnight in my garage - on a cool morning, it was one tick above half way. Thought the car had started burning oil, but then I checked it the next day after driving it and letting it sit for 10 minutes - then it was perfect, right at the top line.

Difficult in your case, as you don't want to warm it up to see if it has enough oil. Add enough until it's a least above the bottom line (cold), if you're going to drive it to the nearby dealer.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:45 AM

Sorry for the uncertainty, but this would be correct? Northeast Ohio.

The car hasn’t been driven since Friday night and this is the current photo from this morning

Old 10-13-2020, 08:53 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

If it were my car (not having heard the noises), I would plan on an oil change as part of the service, whatever it is (and some would recommend sending a sample to Blackstone for analysis, to make sure there isn't anything in there that shouldn't be). With that in mind, I'd use that Castrol (or any synthetic 0W-20, if that's what's in it already) until it's around the middle line (the 100% filled mark is for warm oil), and drive it to the dealer.

The oil type that's in the car should be listed on your spring service invoice. The correct Castrol is Edge Professional OE, which is hard to find. The dealer may sell you a few quarts (not cheaply!) If so, then topping it up with what's in it may mean you won't have to change the oil...

Old 10-13-2020, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by DJS
If it were my car (not having heard the noises), I would plan on an oil change as part of the service, whatever it is (and some would recommend sending a sample to Blackstone for analysis, to make sure there isn't anything in there that shouldn't be). With that in mind, I'd use that Castrol (or any synthetic 0W-20, if that's what's in it already) until it's around the middle line (the 100% filled mark is for warm oil), and drive it to the dealer.

The oil type that's in the car should be listed on your spring service invoice. The correct Castrol is Edge Professional OE, which is hard to find. The dealer may sell you a few quarts (not cheaply!) If so, then topping it up with what's in it may mean you won't have to change the oil...
I actually went to the dealer this morning, they only sell in bulk though? I'll buy the above.

Old 10-16-2020, 06:12 PM

Okay, total newbie question. I am going to add oil, when I take off the cap it has the center mental piece. Do I just pour around it? I bought an all purpose automobile funnel but it doesn't even seem like I will need it if I just pour around?

Old 10-16-2020, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Originally Posted by Pie944
Okay, total newbie question. I am going to add oil, when I take off the cap it has the center mental piece. Do I just pour around it? I bought an all purpose automobile funnel but it doesn't even seem like I will need it if I just pour around?
Makes no difference either way, that centre metal piece is the oil extraction tube and it goes all the way down into the sump and sits around 5 mm off the bottom.
I find it easiest to put a funnel in between that tube and the edge of the oil filler hole.

Quick Reply: ? new sound MY19 R