F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 04:07 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default new tires

Currently the tires on my 2018 are 5 years old. The dealer measured the tread in the back and the Gage says to replace soon.

As I am no longer working on cars and there is no spare, I have been considering Michelin run flats. I travel on a 1000 mile trip every year and the thought of breaking down on the road in the middle of nowhere without a spare concerns me.

My days of Autocross are over. I currently have the summer Continentals on it which I like very much.

Question one. Is the F type compatible with run flats?

and, do you think the all season run flats would be that different then the Continentals?

Old 02-17-2023, 04:37 PM
Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Makes sense for you. Only thing to remember is some brands will not allow puncture repairs even central ones so do you research . Most brands will not allow puncture repairs within a certain distance of the side of the tire so a simple puncture can get expensive quickly. A puncture that tyre inflator kit can’t repair is likely to be so big that it would also render a run flat inoperable as well so you may be no better off.

Old 02-17-2023, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Typically run flats are good for around 50 miles,.so the middle of now where can't be longer than 50 miles in any direction. You may want to buy a Dewalt Portable battery powered air compressor and a tire repair kit and a can of goub. You may not find a run flat replacement or any tire depending on size anywhere near the middle of nowhere. On my R, I had to order new tire for the rear twice and wait a day for tire rack to ship them. I wasn't in the middle of now where in either case. The second time I had the compressor and the repair kit which allowed me to drive to a nearby dealer to wait for the tire the next day. Couldn't use the repair kit because the nail and hole were too large and too close to the edge of tire. I had a 6+ hr. drive home so didn't want to risk a highway blowout at high speed. Stayed overnight to get the replacement put on. One of my partners had the run flats on his BMW, went the distance to a tire shop and no tire available. Left the car and ubered home another 100 miles. Had to go back after the tire arrived to replace his run flat. Only a full size spare will likely be the most reliable solution.

Old 02-18-2023, 03:51 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Only a full size spare will likely be the most reliable solution.
And as the fronts and backs are different sizes stowing the two spare wheels in an F-Type is likely to be a "challenge".

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 04:03 AM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Better to get AAA gold with the 200 mile tow radius. Just have to hope you're still in cell phone range I guess..

Old 02-18-2023, 10:03 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

One thing very important to remember about runflats, the ride and road noise will be MUCH worse than your current conti's. My MINI came with them and I could not wait to get them off the car. We used to drive literally through the middle of nowhere going to Vegas. HWY 93 in NV. small compressor and can of tire goop was the solution. My wife was a little concerned with her MINI so we bought a skinny temp spare for hers. I do not know if such a thing exists from another car that would clear the calipers on the Jag.

The best tire I put on the car with Conti Extreme Contact DWS. Little noisy around spirited corners but blew through all the muck western WA could put on the road.

Old 02-18-2023, 10:52 AM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have no real world experience but cannot imagine how poor the ride quality would be with run flats. One quibble I have read about the F Type is the ride quality - some say a little rougher than it should be in normal mode but I consider that part of the car's DNA like the pops and crackles. I think run flats would be ghastly added to that taut suspension but that's just my opinion. I have taken a couple of 2000 mile round trips from the East coast to the Midwest and back with only my AAA Gold Card, inflator and fresh goop without issue. Agree it would be a real hassle to ruin a tire on a trip but that's part of owning a true sports car.

Old 02-18-2023, 11:41 AM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
Better to get AAA gold with the 200 mile tow radius. Just have to hope you're still in cell phone range I guess..

They call it Premier membership now https://mwg.aaa.com/membership/join-...ALL_AA_MC_Var2, but that's what I have been doing for the past 20 years since I first bought my BMW M Roadster. That plus a good tire plug kit https://www.stopngo.com/ and a can of goop as a LAST resort ( tire repair guys hate goop and some won't repair your tire if you use it, it's near impossible to get it out). The nice thing about the premier membership is that they will tow you pretty much any where you want to go not just to the nearest shop.

Old 02-18-2023, 02:58 PM
Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts

I bought a patch kit. It might be difficult to find the puncture if you can't remove the tire, but it is cheap and you can likely borrow a jack.
Amazon Amazon

I also bought this stuff to replace the expired gunk that came with the car and use with OEM inflator.
This fits stuff fits into the pocket where the OEM gunk is stored.
Amazon Amazon

Old 02-18-2023, 04:33 PM
Received 202 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomkatb
As I am no longer working on cars and there is no spare, I have been considering Michelin run flats. I travel on a 1000 mile trip every year and the thought of breaking down on the road in the middle of nowhere without a spare concerns me.
My step-son's 4 series BMW came with run-flats and they were not so great. Keep in mind this was a sixteen year old, but he trashed those tires in no time. I don't think they lasted 5K miles and I do believe they were Michelin's. I also remember that BMW decided to abandon run-flats as standard fitment because they had too many customer complaints. Of course, the rest of the car was a piece of crap, as well.

Golfnutjtl (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
And as the fronts and backs are different sizes stowing the two spare wheels in an F-Type is likely to be a "challenge".
I didn't really think it was a solution.....good laugh though.
I think run flats may be heavier than standard tires as well....

Last edited by jaguny; 02-18-2023 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-18-2023, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,225 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by WayneB
They call it Premier membership now https://mwg.aaa.com/membership/join-...ALL_AA_MC_Var2, but that's what I have been doing for the past 20 years since I first bought my BMW M Roadster. That plus a good tire plug kit https://www.stopngo.com/ and a can of goop as a LAST resort ( tire repair guys hate goop and some won't repair your tire if you use it, it's near impossible to get it out). The nice thing about the premier membership is that they will tow you pretty much any where you want to go not just to the nearest shop.
I highly recommend the StopNGo tire plug kit, have used it twice now with zero problems.
First a screw then not long after a nail in the same tyre (left rear), both times easy to find and not too close to the edge of the tyre.
A simple job to do if a little time consuming, possible to do with the wheel still on the car but a lot easier with the wheel off, that's what I did both times.
Never bothered to get the tyre patched and it is still going strong years later with no leaks.
One tip - the kit doesn't come with pliers (to pull the offending nail or screw out) so add a small pair to your toolkit.

Carbuff2 (02-19-2023)