F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Top Gear - Any F-Types ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

I saw the show and was not impressed. I don't like Evans at all. Especially annoying was the obvious way he was screaming in the car as Clarkson used to do. LeBlanc is not engaging and flat.

As others have said, the reason for the stupid non-review segments was the comraderie of the hosts. I just fast forwarded through the whole 3 wheel car part because it wasnt going to be informative and Evans had already annoyed me enough.

I will still record it and watch the reviews of the cars but I will no longer watch it as a guys show for the humor. They really need to completely reformat the show and take it a new direction.

One thing they better never change is the way they film and produce the video. I just love how they capture very small details like tire smoke, ground fog, lighting, etc. Never saw anything like it initially. Now many copy, but it's still the originator and as good as anything I've seen.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:55 AM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Guess the majority of us called it right after the first episode!! Chris Evans has now resigned after 6 episodes and the show is pulling in the lowest figures in its history!

Old 07-07-2016, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by whiskey29
Guess the majority of us called it right after the first episode!! Chris Evans has now resigned after 6 episodes and the show is pulling in the lowest figures in its history!
That is the best news I've heard in a while. I couldn't stand him and after he threw up I knew he was done for! I have become adjusted to the others. Not the same but without Evans there's hope.

They also need to remember it's a car show, not a buddy show. The less odd ball things they do the better. I've become accustomed to the American TG guys and while they aren't great, they at least have some chemistry to pull off some of the antics the originals did.

I loved the Viet Nam episode with the original cast. One of my favorite non-car pieces. But I wouldn't make it through 30 min with either of the new groups. Hasn't had enough time in the pot to determine if the stew will be good.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:09 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

They did a sponsored piece with the SVR which was pretty bland.

Top Gear US had the vert on a couple episodes ago for a whole episode involving winter challenges. It was pretty good and the Jag held its own sliding around in the snow and ice.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:37 AM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR

They also need to remember it's a car show, not a buddy show. ........
Nope - you're completely wrong there - its not a "car" show, might have been in its early days, but definitely not after a few years - its purely an entertainment show aimed at car people

Old 07-08-2016, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

I'll simply chime in and say you can't (rather, it's extremely hard to) create chemistry; it has to be there, basically from the start, or not. I've always been a fan of the original Top-Gear - which touted itself as "you don't have to love cars to love Top-Gear" - but once they announced a US version of the show my gut instinct told me that I would hate it. And I did (granted, I didn't get past the very first episode). This latest itineration? Never even gave it one shot.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Default New Top Gear - Any F-Types ?

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I'll simply chime in and say you can't (rather, it's extremely hard to) create chemistry; it has to be there, basically from the start, or not. I've always been a fan of the original Top-Gear - which touted itself as "you don't have to love cars to love Top-Gear" - but once they announced a US version of the show my gut instinct told me that I would hate it. And I did (granted, I didn't get past the very first episode). This latest itineration? Never even gave it one shot.
That the camera work and the way they show the cars and let you hear the sounds is consistent, I can tolerate most hosting scenarios. The more exotic the better on the cars and this first new season did a pretty good job of showing me things I might now have seen, and especially heard, without it. So it's still worth taking the time for me.

My favorite sounds that I've ever heard from Top Gear are the Ascari A10 and the Aston Martin Vulcan. Both sick in their own unique ways. And I would have never heard the Vulcan had it not been for the new TG. So I watch...with remote ready to skip anything not interesting to me.

And as I've aged, I give things a little longer to come together if I see promise. Wasn't a huge fan of Seinfeld until they got a few episodes out of the way either.

Last edited by 2010 Kyanite XFR; 07-08-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ioneabee
Nope - you're completely wrong there - its not a "car" show, might have been in its early days, but definitely not after a few years - its purely an entertainment show aimed at car people
Because they kicked the original group out, it is most definitely just a car show now. It wasn't just a car show with Clarkson, May and Hammond. It points to what you said about "after a few years". They don't have that IT factor anymore nor the people to pull it off, especially when you have the original to compare it to.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
That the camera work and the way they show the cars and let you hear the sounds is consistent, I can tolerate most hosting scenarios. The more exotic the better on the cars and this first new season did a pretty good job of showing me things I might now have seen, and especially heard, without it. So it's still worth taking the time for me.

My favorite sounds that I've ever heard from Top Gear are the Ascari A10 and the Aston Martin Vulcan. Both sick in their own unique ways. And I would have never heard the Vulcan had it not been for the new TG. So I watch...with remote ready to skip anything not interesting to me.

And as I've aged, I give things a little longer to come together if I see promise. Wasn't a huge fan of Seinfeld until they got a few episodes out of the way either.
Good point. Seinfeld wasn't the hit it became until after at least the first full season...

Thanks,
Jay