F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New User Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 07:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New User Questions

Hey everyone, just picked up a 2018 F-Type and have some questions!

1.) How do I enable CarPlay? When I inputted my VIN into the Jaguar phone compatibility site, it said my device would work with CarPlay. However, I don't see the option to enable it. Does this require a dealer software update? I have the InControl Touch Pro system.
2.) My car was listed as having keyless entry, and has an indention on the door handle that I assume is part of the system (photo attached). However, the doors will not open unless I press the unlock button on the key first. I have tried both the main and spare key. Is something broken?
3.) My seat trim is coming off around the driver side seat bolster. Has anyone else experienced this? Any known fixes or should I ask the dealer? (car is still under warranty but they are a bit of a drive)
4.) How do I know if I have front parking sensors? There appear to be sensors in the front bumper but I am unsure of how to activate them.
5.) I have the basic sound system (330W I believe). Is there a way to improve the system without voiding the warranty? At the very least are there any recommendations on the equalizer settings?

I think that is it for now... loving the car so far!

Old 06-03-2021, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

1) I can't help with CarPlay.
2) I think that you probably don't have keyless entry, unless things have changed since my model year (16). That indentation should be a button.
3) Don't know.
4) That looks like a parking sensor but could be a blanking plug. Parking assist should activate automatically when reverse is engaged and stay on for forward/reverse until the car is shut down or speed exceeds a certain speed (3, maybe 5 mph?). There should be a button at the left of the touchscreen that activates sensors manually if speed isn't too high. On my year it's a physical button but I think it's a "soft" touchscreen button on the '18.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
1) I can't help with CarPlay.
2) I think that you probably don't have keyless entry, unless things have changed since my model year (16). That indentation should be a button.
3) Don't know.
4) That looks like a parking sensor but could be a blanking plug. Parking assist should activate automatically when reverse is engaged and stay on for forward/reverse until the car is shut down or speed exceeds a certain speed (3, maybe 5 mph?). There should be a button at the left of the touchscreen that activates sensors manually if speed isn't too high. On my year it's a physical button but I think it's a "soft" touchscreen button on the '18.
Thanks for the reply! There is a button for the sensors and I assume the rear sensors are working, I might have to just have someone stand in front of the car and see if they go off!

Old 06-03-2021, 08:26 PM
Received 447 Likes on 241 Posts

If you have the InControl Touch Pro unit with the 8 hard buttons (4 on each side) in a MY18 then you *cannot* upgrade to CarPlay, no matter what you read online, from a letter you may get from Jaguar saying your VIN is the correct range, or what the dealership may tell you. CarPlay will *only* work on the larger 10" InControl Touch pro units with the soft buttons across the bottom. There are some aftermarket solutions if you want to go that route. Search CarPlay on this forum and you'll find a bunch of threads on it.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
If you have the InControl Touch Pro unit with the 8 hard buttons (4 on each side) in a MY18 then you *cannot* upgrade to CarPlay, no matter what you read online, from a letter you may get from Jaguar saying your VIN is the correct range, or what the dealership may tell you. CarPlay will *only* work on the larger 10" InControl Touch pro units with the soft buttons across the bottom. There are some aftermarket solutions if you want to go that route. Search CarPlay on this forum and you'll find a bunch of threads on it.
Wow, I feel completely lied to by Jaguar. Their website specifically stated that my car would support CarPlay (based on the VIN) and their listing said keyless entry... I'm not sure what to do at this point. Those two features are part of the reason I picked this car.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:59 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You should just be able to touch the little button and the handles pop out. Yours doesn't work that way? The picture of the handle is hard to distinguish because of the water on it. Is the little circular button to the left raised?

Old 06-04-2021, 10:30 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I think the handle just has an indentation, in which case no keyless entry.

Old 06-04-2021, 11:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the way i understand it. remote keyless entry is any car with a remote to unlock the door. i am not sure what Jaguar calls what you want but some call it passive entry as in you need not get your key or remote out the car unlocks when you grab the door handle and the vehicle unlocks the door as it senses the key in a pocket or purse.

Old 06-04-2021, 12:08 PM

Yeah, Jaguar's naming convention was confusing. Just surprised it doesn't have it, it is my first car in probably a decade at least that didn't have it standard.

After getting a 4G SIM, the nav system is a little better. I would still like CarPlay (preferably with steering wheel controls) but the solutions I'm finding typically only let you use the touch screen. First world problems lol