Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New wheels - problems with TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 03:42 AM
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New wheels - problems with TPMS

Hi!

Back in early May I mounted new wheels to my f-type s and since then I've had issues with the TPMS sensors not syncing with the car. I'd like some help in diagnosing the issue and some tips of what I can do to resolve it.

The story:

9th of May i mount the new wheels and everything looks good. The car syncs with the sensors and I get tire preassures.
I park the car for 5 days and come back the 14th. After driving ~3km the TPMS warning pops up and stays on for the rest of the drive (~20km)
The warning stays active until the 23rd of May when I take the car for it's yearly service. I tell the mechanic that the TPMS warning is active and he tells me he'll take a look at it while servicing it.
After the service I get the car back and everything looks good at first but after driving about 3km the warning once again comes back. I call the mechanic who tells me all I need to do is do some long distance driving and it should be fine.
I park the car for 5 days and the 28th of May I take a 60km ride and the warning goes away just as the technician said. I now park the car for 1 week and come back the 4th of June. I drive about 3km and back comes the TPMS warning again.
I've now done several 60km+ drives over the last few weeks but the warning stays on.

What could the problem be? What should be my next step?

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2022, 05:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

Back when I had the XKR and had a TPMS light popping up, I was told to (and did, which fixed it) overinflate the tyres by about 10psi and drive it around for a day or two like that, then put them back to normal.

Old 06-30-2022, 07:51 AM
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you you get new tpms sensors when you got the wheels. I had the same problem when I changed my wheels. Depending on the year of your car there are two different tpms sensors that these cars have. I needed to change the sensors because I was given the wrong ones. I can’t quite remember what the exact difference was but I know I found the info here. Maybe someone else can chime in with the details FYI my car was a 2014 and I know the wheel company sent me sensors that were for a more recent year f type. After I changed them they work fine now.

Last edited by Dibi; 06-30-2022 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:26 AM

Thanks for great ideas. The car is a MY2016 with a K30XXX vin number. Since the sensors have sucessfully synced at times I would think it's the correct sensors though? If it was the incorrect frequency they would never sync?

Old 06-30-2022, 08:35 AM

Good point. If I remember correctly my warning would turn on after I started driving the car for a few minutes, especially if the car sat for a while. Kinda the same symptoms as yours.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:08 AM
Received 93 Likes on 52 Posts

Perhaps the batteries in the sensors are going flat?

Old 06-30-2022, 09:21 AM

The sensors came with the new tyres and I specifically asked about them before placing an order just to be sure I got the correct ones. I would think it's highly unlikely that the sensors be delivered to customers flat or close to flat?
I am very new to cars and didn't even know they were battery powered so excuse me for my stupid question but are you meant to change batteries of the tpms sensors during the lifetime of the wheels? Is there an easy way of verifying the health of the batteries?

Old 06-30-2022, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildpipe
The sensors came with the new tyres and I specifically asked about them before placing an order just to be sure I got the correct ones. I would think it's highly unlikely that the sensors be delivered to customers flat or close to flat?
I am very new to cars and didn't even know they were battery powered so excuse me for my stupid question but are you meant to change batteries of the tpms sensors during the lifetime of the wheels? Is there an easy way of verifying the health of the batteries?
You don't change the TPMS batteries. You get new TPMS units. The non replaceable batteries usually last 5 to 10 years. When you buy new TPMS they are usually in deep sleep mode and wake up when they are spun in a tire or when a programming tool is used to do it.

The following users liked this post:
skizot (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 03:01 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm in NYS, a place that possibly has more "wheel dealershps" and more "dude, I know it ALL" tire-pirates per square block than any other city in America. But I've found a really calm, knowlegdeable wheel and tire shop, that I trust with my life. They not only tell me when I'm about to do something that's wrong by Law, but they also hand out updating pamphlets that the Motor Vehicle Authorities like dealerships to read.

TPMS units come with a factory battery that can't be pulled or replaced without destroying the circuitry---it's meant to be a ONE-TIME-USE device, that's thrown away BEFORE the battery expires. The Law around here is 4 or 5 year life expectancy from moment of activation...SO the dealer/changer is required to throw out the TPMS if he's changing a tire that's reported to him to be 4 years on the wheel. (How the hell he's supposed to figure out that 4 years have gone by, without recording the tire's install or taking the driver's word for it...jeez, I don't know).
He can replace a cracked cap or damaged "collar" on the valve part of the TPMS, but he's not going to open the sensor itself for the battery or any repair.

There are (what you could call "universal") TPMS units always available, that comply with FCC-type regulations and transmit answering-codes that your Jaguar model/year and X-number of other maker's cars is supposed to happily communicate with, so in an accident you're not stuck having to order some exotic or OEM sensor from Jaguar or overseas. But.... whenever you're able, it's a good idea to buy four new TPMS units yourself, before you need them. Here's why:
--Ordering yourself allows you to check out the British-manufacturer sensors (Hampton comes to mind) that guarantee their sensor is "pre-coded" for your British Jag. The UK Jaguar forum posters have chatted about which are best and least costly and which brands really should be avoided, so they've done all the frustration and suffering for you, hehehe.

--The TPMS unit doesn't try to synch with your car. It "waits" for you car to send a questioning signal first, and then it uses it's battery energy to send an answer. Sometimes the answer these universal or dealership-promised pre-coded units send back are NOT a language YOUR CAR wants to synch with, so you get these "Tire Sensor unreadable" claims on your dashboard. Buying the sensor yourself completely removes all those "WTF is wrong now?" issues. Any issues you DO get with sensors you bought yourself, happily WON'T be the sensor's fault.

--That 10 lbs over-pressure trick DOES WORK. Apparently your car "calculates" your tire pressure condition based on the assumed size of tire you have on your car now, and counting the number of rotations your wheel is doing per mile (this is why you car usually can't tell you what the tire pressure is when you're standing still or the engine has been off for a day---it's only giving you the LAST pressure report from a few hours ago). If you have put a DIFFERENT size/width tire on your wheel, or a different size wheel altogether, it may take a whole 3 months of driving around for your car to synch with the slightly oddball information it's calculating from the TPMS. Over-inflating the tire can help straighten out its confusion, and finally accept the answers the TPMS is giving. But Christ, just be careful not to go driving around on tires that are way over your pressure limit!

--The battery in a TPMS unit has an extremely long shelf life, because unlike typical pop-in batteries, they don't "start" living until the first moment your car sends a radio signal to the sensor. So a Jaguar genuine TPMS sensor made and bagged in 2016, will give you your 4-5 years life if you start using it this month in wheel. I'm driving on genuine Jag sensors manufactured in 2018, and this is my second year rolling on them.

Remember, the sensors are on your car ONLY to comply with laws. If you live in a region where police will check to see if your sensors are working, by all means do the 10 lbs over pressure to try to fix the issue, or buy four sensors of you own and have a service place swap them out (and you WANT the old sensors put in your hand before you leave the shop---no lazy tricks from your mechanic).
But if you don't live in an enforced region, it's OKAY to just accept that the sensors are dud, and that you will need to monitor your tire pressure yourself every two weeks, just like earlier cars.
Obviously no dealership will want to troubleshoot them for you, because they didn't put those sensors in---some other seller gave you them.

The genuine Jaguar TPMS units are my preference (but not needed). You can get them for about $38 USD each on Ebay (made in froo-froo France, I think). Cheap because there just no one knocking themselves out to buy genuine ones---what for? I think Hampton ones were more pricy, but just as reliable.. Just remember, if you buy the genuine Jag sensors, you want them in their bags, SEALED, with the jaguar or Landrover green label on the bag. Sealed!!!!

The following 5 users liked this post by NewLester de Rocin:
BruceTheQuail (06-30-2022), Carbuff2 (07-01-2022), DJS (07-01-2022), kb58 (06-30-2022), Wildpipe (07-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 02:59 AM

Thank you for spending the time and sharing your knowledge with us! I will try overinflating the tires and see if that makes a difference. I am not living in a country that enforces the TPMS sensors BUT I hate seeing the warning in the car so just continuing like this is not an option!

If driving around for a bit with overinflated tires does not solve the problem I will contact the shop I bought the wheels from and have them source the OEM TPMS sensors for me.

Old 07-01-2022, 06:25 AM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...2/tpms-162046/

here is a link to the thread about the sensor frequency change. Looks like it was mid 2015 that it was changed.