Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with F Type manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 03:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Newbie with F Type manual

Hi all,

Looking forward to picking up my ex demonstrator on Wednesday next week, although it feels like it has taken forever!

I have a quick question for all the manual gearbox owners out there. I read about the issues on here about slipping clutches and after my test drive I don't think the clutch is slipping but I found inbetween spirited changes that the car seemed to hold revs if that makes sense meaning that I had to slow down the change... is this normal/expected? I have asked the dealer to check before pickup

Thanks and looking forward to joining the forum properly!!

Old 05-14-2017, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Mgbams
Hi all,

Looking forward to picking up my ex demonstrator on Wednesday next week, although it feels like it has taken forever!

I have a quick question for all the manual gearbox owners out there. I read about the issues on here about slipping clutches and after my test drive I don't think the clutch is slipping but I found inbetween spirited changes that the car seemed to hold revs if that makes sense meaning that I had to slow down the change... is this normal/expected? I have asked the dealer to check before pickup

Thanks and looking forward to joining the forum properly!!
You have the bad clutch issue. Those are the exact symptoms the rest of us had. Take delivery of the car, and then use the work orders on the "Clutch Satisfaction" thread to show the dealer what is needed to resolve the problem. (updated clutch and flywheel). Don't suffer with the weak clutch.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I am surprised that in 2017 there are still new cars with this issue lingering around. F-type manual is driver's gearbox, it doesn't match revs or does anything else to slow you down or help you shift. The only nanny in place is gearbox won't let you downshift if it would cause mechanical over-rev. Otherwise it is entirely up to you to blip throttle, rev-match and so on.

The new clutch setup is heavy, with very deep uptake. If your car is not like that, then you have an old clutch that even when not slipping will self-destruct in a year or so.

Read through this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...action-158861/

Old 05-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

I read about the issues on here about slipping clutches and after my test drive I don't think the clutch is slipping but I found inbetween spirited changes that the car seemed to hold revs if that makes sense meaning that I had to slow down the change... is this normal/expected?
There is something I've noted that is not clutch-related. When I rev the engine and lift while depressing the clutch, the engine holds revs for a second before dropping. I mainly notice this when I accelerate quickly in one gear but then want to coast in the next gear up.

Once you get the car, see if you can get a more clear description of what you are experiencing. As Lance (The Unhingd One) notes, the clutch issue is pretty well documented here.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks all, was afraid that it might be an issue. Now I need to decide whether to take the car now and see how it gets on and take back to dealer if issue or push back and see if they will acknowledge if it's an issue and resolve prior to collection! What do you reccomenedation, not dealt with jaguar after sales before.

thanks

Old 05-14-2017, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Thanks all, was afraid that it might be an issue. Now I need to decide whether to take the car now and see how it gets on and take back to dealer if issue or push back and see if they will acknowledge if it's an issue and resolve prior to collection! What do you reccomenedation, not dealt with jaguar after sales before.

thanks
Most drivers no longer familiar with MTs will not notice the problem, so dealer may just choose to sell it to someone else. Kniwing the problem can be resolved, I would accept the car and force the issue in a couple of weeks, but that's me.