F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question re spare

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 10:12 AM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Newbie question re spare

Stupid question but without run flats would anyone chance not getting a spare? I'm ordering a coupe but understand the spare takes up the whole boot. If your flat tire is unable to be "gooped" road side tows you to a dealer as per jag USA -where you'd be stuck for a weekend. Had this issue where I shredded a tire Anyone have a coupe w spare and can comment on space?

Old 11-23-2014, 01:00 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Here's a pic of the spare in my car.

You have two options for obtaining a spare:

1. Order it as a factory installed option

This will get you the spare and all the accessories (jack, lug wrench, etc) and the spare will be bolted in place in the rear. Downsides to this are that you can't use the rear carpet mat as shown in my pic and you also don't get the air compressor/fix-a-flat.

2. Buy the spare as an accessory from your dealer's parts counter.

This is what I did. Downside is that the accessories are sold separately - ~ $350 for the jack, lug wrench, holder, etc plus another $300 for the spare itself. It also isn't bolted to the floor.

I negotiated for the spare/accessories to be included as part of the deal, so they were "free" for me. Your mileage will vary of course. I don't normally drive around with the spare, but I wanted it just in case. With the spare inside, it takes up 90% of the luggage space. You can carry small items on top and in front of the tire, but not enough to fit any luggage.

FYI, the tire cover shown in my pic is optional also - not included by default.

Attached Thumbnails Newbie question re spare-img_0476.jpg  
Old 11-23-2014, 01:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I do have spare tire in side my trunk
It's take 1/3 of space but still have room for weekend

Newbie question re spare-image-2045796694.jpg

Old 11-23-2014, 02:47 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't get the spare out of space concerns. I got a flat tire last week and was out for a day while it was towed and they had to source a replacement. I was stuck using uber for a day or so and still prefer that to having to outlay 400+ for a spare tire to sit around and take up valuable space thats can be otherwise better used.

The following users liked this post:
undfeatable (11-23-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 03:15 PM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by zerphyte
I didn't get the spare out of space concerns. I got a flat tire last week and was out for a day while it was towed and they had to source a replacement. I was stuck using uber for a day or so and still prefer that to having to outlay 400+ for a spare tire to sit around and take up valuable space thats can be otherwise better used.
+1

Old 11-23-2014, 03:49 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Agree. Not to mention adding an additional 60lbs to the vehicle.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:53 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

100% agree. It already has no space, why use up what's there and be inconvenienced 100% of the time vs the 1% of the time when you need it? Use uber (probably uber black for jaguar owners lol) and get it fixed and be happy when you can stick more than a pack of gum in the trunk.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Agree. Not to mention adding an additional 60lbs to the vehicle.
the spare is < 20 lbs. As I stated previously, I don't carry it around all the time. I wanted it for road trips. Besides, this isn't my only car, so space utilization and being able to carry things is not a concern for me. I have other vehicles for that.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Getting used to not having spare. found out hard way with '05 TT 3.2 , had flat and didn't know it did not have spare.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I ordered my ftype r with the spare and then got a great price from the dealer for the inflation kit. The spare is bolted down properly and came with a cover.

My reason is that when I'm on a longer trip I use the spare and for day to day the inflation kit is ok, so I take the spare out.

I have had a couple of flats over the years and both were not repairable, and certainly not with an inflation kit, so if we are driving a long way I wanted to assurance of a proper spare.

Space is limited with the spare, yet we can go a few days when packed light.
Lawrence

Old 11-24-2014, 07:29 AM

second issue is what happens to the tire you remove, after using the spare???? This was issue with Porsche as a tire/rim wouldn't fit in the frunk but you did have a back seat- I do recall someone saying they carryied a box cutter to cut off the tire- perhaps the rim may then fit in the boot- my passenger wouldn't be so happy driving miles back with a rim on her lap.

The inconvienience issue is quite real- I did shred a tire coming home from a Pocono Raceway event in western jersey once- a spareless jag that would have meant flatbedding my car to philly on a Friday night the dealer service would be closed and not being able to get it until repaired on a Monday- then there would have been the getting back and forth to said dealer from Long Island (not an easy trip)

Old 11-24-2014, 09:22 AM

Though I haven't tried it, the rear tire (the largest) should fit in the back of the coupe - though just barely I think.

If you have a convertible, this discussion is a moot point - neither the spare or a full tire will fit in the trunk.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:40 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by another_geek
Though I haven't tried it, the rear tire (the largest) should fit in the back of the coupe - though just barely I think.

If you have a convertible, this discussion is a moot point - neither the spare or a full tire will fit in the trunk.
The spare fits in the trunk of the convertible! Saw it on top gear lol.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

My thought has been that with the rear wheel/tire, I would need to tie down the trunk lid to get to a tire dealer or whereever, assuming the rear tire doesn't fit in the trunk. Had not thought of carrying a box cutter to cut the tire off.
Lawrence.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:51 AM

also don't forget a pair of disposable gloves and a large plastic bag!

Old 11-24-2014, 11:33 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

You can order a spare for the convertible, in which case you have no trunk. I used to be a bit nervous about not having a spare, but I've made it 15,000 miles so far and worry less about it.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:34 PM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

I also own a BMW M Roadster for 13 years. I have yet to be stranded, but it could happen. It is the same scenario as the Jag F Type. No spare, the full size tire won't fit in the trunk, but it has a can of tire snot and an air compressor. I have had a flat with slow leak before and the air compressor allowed me to get home.
I take a number of precautions; besides the air compessor and factory sealant I carry an extra can of sealer and inflator, I carry a small tire repair kit since the sealant is a last resort Pocket Tire Plugger - For All Tubeless Tires - Stop & Go International Inc Store
I have used this tire repair kit on other vehicles and it usually works but not always. I bought this kit after a friend had a flat with fast leak up on Mt Hamilton and a motorcycle rider was kind enough to repair his tire.
I carry several bungy cords to hold the trunk lid closed with a tire inside, several friends have ended up borrowing mine.
I carry a cell phone charger in the car and I keep up my AAA Premium membership, they will tow you 250 miles anywhere you want to go, not just to the nearest garage or dealer that probably doesn't have a tire anyway.
Yes I know, I also go canyon carving where there is no cell service, but I am frequently with other people then or someone will eventually come along.
I also try to stay out a places like Oakland, it's hard to change or fix a flat when you're getting shot at.

So take some simple precautions, enjoy the car and drive and don't worry be happy. :-)

The following users liked this post:
Mulmur (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 01:50 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

That does look useful, although with no jack or lug wrench, it would be challenging to use.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Like others here who have owned BWM's, I also owned one and dealt with the lack of a space tire. If you don't try and run the tread off the tires (i.e. run them beyond when they should be replaced), rarely do they rip apart. You can typically drive for a while with a puncture which is more typical of what could happen with a well maintained car (with today's tires). I did have two punctures on my BMW over the 10 years of ownership. First one was noticed on my way home from work. I stopped half way at a gas station to full it with air and finished my drive home. The second was noticed when I was leaving from home (it had lost most of it's pressure overnight and the tire system doesn't read pressure until the car starts moving). In neither case was I stranded.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

+1

The goop in the kit plus the included pump should be enough to get you to a tire shop.

Quick Reply: Newbie question re spare