F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question re spare

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 375 Posts

I think these days, I for one, might call my trusty roadside service (AAA) and have them find a way to get me on my way. Depending on where you are located, how many of us want to go out in either the blistering heat, oppressive cold, or dangerous traffic to change a tire? If the goop is an option and it's convenient to give it a try, go for it, but to change a tire? Is it worth it? I'd pay any amount money to get my car off the road if I had a blow out or flat tire so that I might see another day. Roadside can plug the tire and if necessary flatbed you to a service area. These days, flat tires and blowouts have been rear occurrences but, maybe I'm lucky. I still rather be safe, and am not planning (at my age) to replace a tire with a donut.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:52 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Like others here who have owned BWM's, I also owned one and dealt with the lack of a space tire. If you don't try and run the tread off the tires (i.e. run them beyond when they should be replaced), rarely do they rip apart. You can typically drive for a while with a puncture which is more typical of what could happen with a well maintained car (with today's tires). I did have two punctures on my BMW over the 10 years of ownership. First one was noticed on my way home from work. I stopped half way at a gas station to full it with air and finished my drive home. The second was noticed when I was leaving from home (it had lost most of it's pressure overnight and the tire system doesn't read pressure until the car starts moving). In neither case was I stranded.
I agree. I have been running without a spare or a run flat since 2008 and have had no problems whatsoever.

The few times I had a puncture, I noticed the pressure dropped to mid 20s psi thanks to the TPMS and redirected my route straight to a tire repair shop to plug it. One time I woke up and it was 14 so I put some air in it with the inflator before going to the repair shop.

Never been stranded. Never used the goop.

If the spare tire was a no cost option I would still decline it. I'd rather have a lighter car than carry unnecessary hardware.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:11 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

all these anecdotal stories of not having a problem are nice- Ive had a number of carreras and in the last three no spare- I bought a spacesaver from a dismantler and keep it in the frunk of the Porsche and I have yet to use it in 10 years, but my one experience was enlightening when I shredded a tire in a remote location on a Friday night. I plan on travelling down to see my son in college and the northeast corridor on a weekend is unforgiving and Id rather not be stuck in west philly for the weekend waiting for the dealer to open monday

Old 12-04-2014, 11:48 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Never been stranded. Never used the goop.

If the spare tire was a no cost option I would still decline it. I'd rather have a lighter car than carry unnecessary hardware.
I hadn't had a flat in years until a couple of months back - tire was cut and could not be repaired - goop would not have worked, but I had a compact spare, so no prob. Last weekend (Sunday evening), got another flat on the highway 100 miles from home - also not repairable, so goop would have been a no go, but again had the spare. Try finding somone to fix a tire in the boonies at 7pm on Sunday. For me at least, a five minute tire change beats a multi-hour tow truck/flatbed hassle!