F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie thinking of buying an F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 09:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Newbie thinking of buying an F-Type

hello folks, newbie here. i don't own a jag, nor have i ever. the wife owns a LR disco and likes it. i've been driving an m3 convertible, but it's getting old now and i've been eyeing an f-type for its looks and power for a while now. speaking to a handful of dealerships across the country looking at a new blue or gray R convertible (love that V8). hoping someone can talk me out of it! reading through some posts across a few forums, it does seem these cars are pretty reliable for what they, which is hard to believe...yet makes me feel good about the choice.
i'm hoping to get some feedback not only on the car, but also on the options to choose. i live in tx so cooled seats are a hard yes, but pretty much everything else is an option. what i see in dealerships is that ticking that box tends to tick a majority of the others, except for maybe wheel choices. but i do see some oddness in some choices.
the current state of things takes seeing these cars in person off the table (plus i'm shopping nationwide) and i'm questioning discrepancies between window stickers and photos of cars and i'm wondering if this is normal. for example, a car that doesn't have a heated steering wheel listed on the window sticker, but the photos show a steering wheel with the heater button. or a car with climate 1 package and heated and cooled seats, but no dual zone climate, etc. is this normal? is there a way to easily look up options by the VIN? i'd prefer to not show my hand and ask the dealer that has the car and point out the car has an option they don't list. lastly, any tips when negotiation with jag dealers, or pretty much the same as with any other?
thanks a lot everyone. hoping to join the group soon and start driving one myself!

Old 04-21-2020, 10:42 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

You do realize that car sales for the last month is a decimal that rounds to zero, right? Wait 1-2 years and luxury sports cars will be given away in the bottom of cereal boxes. Protect your cash then collect one of every color.

Last edited by RacerX; 04-21-2020 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:47 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm in CA, selling a white 2014 V8S convertible if you want to take a much less expensive entry into the space while getting a phenomenal car. Low risk, high reward.

If you're set on brand new, go for it and best of luck! Probably some great deals out there right now. If not, let me know and we can get you into a reliable V8 jag for 70% off new with all the same noise drama and looks.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by RacerX
You do realize that car sales for the last month is a decimal that rounds to zero, right? Wait 1-2 years and luxury sports cars will be given away in the bottom of cereal boxes. Protect your cash then collect one of every color.
Of course that is a speculation. If the situation bounces back, in 2 years prices can be back to where they are. Right now brand new ones can be had for easily 20k+ below where they were 2 months ago.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Byrnout
I'm in CA, selling a white 2014 V8S convertible if you want to take a much less expensive entry into the space while getting a phenomenal car. Low risk, high reward.

If you're set on brand new, go for it and best of luck! Probably some great deals out there right now. If not, let me know and we can get you into a reliable V8 jag for 70% off new with all the same noise drama and looks.
Thanks, but set on one with warranty (4 yrs at least). Seen some 2019 ones, but deals on new ones are just as good right now, if not better.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:04 PM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Some cars are equipped oddly, but most are loaded. The only mandatory option for me is Blind Spot Alert. Heated/Cooled seats is a nice option, but dual zone climate is silly. I have dual zone, but it is a small car, so you don't have distinct micro climates six inches apart. This is my third F Type R and it is a great car.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:19 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by petik
is there a way to easily look up options by the VIN?
Here's the site you need to check --> https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topi...cle/lookupForm

I don't think the VIN box on the main page works so you'll need to register as an "independent operator". Once you're logged in, you can then enter the VIN (or the last 8 characters of the VIN). From there, you'll see an icon of a car on the top right corner, and there's a hyperlink to "see vehicle details"... a multi tab page pops up and there's a tab on that that says "minor features". Here's where you'll see all the options on the vehicle. It literally lists EVERYTHING. As an example, here's what comes up for my vehicle:

95 minor feature(s) for this vehicle.
  • 12-WAY ELECTRIC FRONT SEATS
  • 20X9.0JCH55/20X10.5JCH38 6003
  • 255/35R2097Y 295/30R20101Y S
  • AMBIENT LIGHTING
  • AUTONOMOUS EMERGENCY BRAKING
  • BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY
  • BONNET LOUVRE SINGLE - GLS BLK
  • BRAKE CALIPERS-RED
  • BRANDED SOUND SYS (L3)
  • BUMPER RR BLACK SINGLE VALANCE
  • CANADA
  • CARPET-EBONY
  • CASTLE BROMWICH
  • CCR CENTRE CONSOLE
  • CCR COCKPIT
  • CCR DOOR CASING - CORE
  • CCR FRONT BUMPERS
  • CCR FRONT DAMPER
  • CCR HEADLINING
  • CCR REAR BUMPERS
  • CCR REAR DAMPER
  • CCR SEATS
  • DEPLOYABLE SPOILER NAS COUPE
  • DOOR STITCH-RED ZONE
  • DR TRIM PNL-EXTENDED LEATHER
  • DRIVERS SEAT - PERFORMANCE
  • DRV/PAS ELEC FT SEAT MEMORY
  • DUAL CHROME TAILPIPE
  • ENGINE POWER SOURCE - 380/470
  • EXT MIRROR FINISH-BODY COLOUR
  • EXT TRIM SURROUNDS-CHROME
  • FLOOR MATS-LEATHER EDGED
  • FOOT PEDAL - STANDARD
  • FORWARD FACING CAMERA
  • FRONT PARKING AID
  • GRILLE-BLACK
  • HEADLAMPS - LED SIGNATURE
  • HEATED FRONT WINDSCREEN
  • HEATED STEERING WHEELS
  • HEATED/COOLED FRONT SEATS
  • HTD/P-FOLD/MEM/A-DIM
  • INCONTROL APPS
  • INFRARED REFLECTIVE WNDSCRN
  • INSTR CLUS SURR-SATIN CHROME
  • INTERIOR GRAPHITE TRIM ACCENT
  • IP FAC CNTRST-JET/JET
  • IP-LEATHER
  • JDC WINTER MODE/DYN MODE
  • KEYLESS ENTRY/START-PASSIVE
  • LANE DEPARTURE WARNING SYSTEM
  • LEATHER CONSOLE MATERIAL
  • LEATHER GEAR SHIFT KNOB
  • MANUAL GEARSHIFT
  • MID SERIES ANALOG CLUSTER
  • NAV REG 2 NAS
  • NAVIGATION - SD CARD
  • POWER 12 WAY DRIVER SEAT
  • PRO SERVICES
  • PWR ADJ STNG COL W/MRY
  • REAR AXLE LTD SLIP DIFF W/TVBB
  • REAR VIEW CAMERA
  • RED ZONE STITCHING
  • REVERSE PARKING AID
  • RHODIUM SILVER/INDUS SILVER
  • ROOF - FIXED PANORAMIC
  • SATELLITE DIGITAL BROADCAST
  • SEAT BELT - STANDARD NAS
  • SEATBELT - PIMENTO RED
  • SIDE VENTS - BRIGHT
  • SILL MLDG-EXT GLOSS BLACK
  • SOS/ASSISTANCE CALL
  • STARTER SYSTEM - STOP/START
  • SULEV30 EMISSION - NAS
  • SUNVISOR,SINGLE-DRV MIR INSERT
  • SWITCHABLE ACTIVE EXHAUST
  • TAILGATE/BOOTLID-POWERED
  • TCU MODULE - NAS
  • TYRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTM
  • VIN CODE F
  • LESS AIR DEFLECTOR
  • LESS AIR PURIFIER SENSOR
  • LESS AUTO HIGH BEAM ASSIST
  • LESS AUTOMATED PARKING SYSTEM
  • LESS BLIND SPOT MONITORING SYS
  • LESS BREAKDOWN WARNING SIGN
  • LESS CONSOLE CONTRAST STITCH
  • LESS FIRST AID KIT
  • LESS GARAGE DOOR OPENER
  • LESS IP CONTRAST STITCH
  • LESS ROLL BAR FINISH
  • LESS SVP
  • LESS TRAFFIC SIGN RECOGNITION
  • LESS TV RECEIVER

The following 2 users liked this post by bb_sam:
HalcyonDays (04-21-2020), petik (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 11:30 PM

Awesome, thank you!

Old 04-21-2020, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Just with wheel choices, I wouldnt let average wheels put you off as the Jag wheels are very heavy and the cars really benefit in handling (and ride as well) from some forged aftermarket wheels and better tyres. It is a massive improvement to an already excellent car. If I was buying new I would try to get a discount by the dealer keeping the OEM wheels and have some forged put on. There are a few threads here about good options.

Have fun!

Old 04-22-2020, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Just with wheel choices, I wouldnt let average wheels put you off as the Jag wheels are very heavy and the cars really benefit in handling (and ride as well) from some forged aftermarket wheels and better tyres. It is a massive improvement to an already excellent car. If I was buying new I would try to get a discount by the dealer keeping the OEM wheels and have some forged put on. There are a few threads here about good options.

Have fun!
Thanks, I had considered that as the base wheels really do look pretty terrible IMO. Searching through tirerack though didn't come up with many choices so it's good to hear they are out there. I would prefer to go down to 19s but seems there's conflicting information on whether those would fit over the R's brakes.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:35 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

I was at the Jag dealership yesterday, they had a 2020 SVR for 99k, that car was 119k when I was there in February and now with 0% for 72 months.
Negotiate for cars that have been in inventory, you might not get the exact options you want but discounts to get them off their lot are significant. Weirdly they had a R coupe that was 3k higher than the SVR, so I am guessing that it has not been in inventory for very long. I also saw a 2021 vert, did not like the new look as much and didn’t look at the price but it is definitely a buyer’s market.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by madmax1911
I was at the Jag dealership yesterday, they had a 2020 SVR for 99k, that car was 119k when I was there in February and now with 0% for 72 months.
Negotiate for cars that have been in inventory, you might not get the exact options you want but discounts to get them off their lot are significant. Weirdly they had a R coupe that was 3k higher than the SVR, so I am guessing that it has not been in inventory for very long. I also saw a 2021 vert, did not like the new look as much and didn’t look at the price but it is definitely a buyer’s market.
I'm seeing the R convertibles much lower than that once I start talking to the dealership. Yes, their websites and initial quotes are in the 90s at least, but once you actually start talking, you can go way lower. I'm only looking at what's in inventory - as you said, that's where you have power to negotiate. I'm not even sure you could order a car right now as many plants have slowed down or halted manufacturing.

The real question is, when is going to be the bottom. I don't think we've seen it yet, but at the same time you have jag doing 10k off or 0% incentives right now that expire at the end of the month (though i suspect they'll continue or get even better to move these cars).

I also completely agree with you about 2021 - I'm not a fan at all. From what I can tell, the only real interior change is that the gauge cluster is now entirely a screen, while the exterior received a massive downgrade. If 2021+ were the only option, I'd be looking at other cars.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:45 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

According to at least one member, they will be giving them away for free, lol.
Guessing where the bottom will be is going to be interesting, uncharted territory for sure.
If I wanted a new car, any new car now, then I would play hardball with them and take the best deal available today.
I base this on buying cars is not an investment, it’s a need or a want and unless your buying very special “ investment cars”, all new cars are horrible wastes of money.
All my vehicle purchases, new or used where far more influenced by want more than need and honesty I don’t regret any of the wasted money, it’s why I work hard, to have the luxury to waste money.
Just my 2c, good luck and give them hell.

The following 3 users liked this post by madmax1911:
fujicoupe (04-22-2020), JacksonvilleJag (04-22-2020), Lani Kai (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 12:40 PM

According to at least one member, they will be giving them away for free, lol.
Guessing where the bottom will be is going to be interesting, uncharted territory for sure.
If I wanted a new car, any new car now, then I would play hardball with them and take the best deal available today.
I base this on buying cars is not an investment, it’s a need or a want and unless your buying very special “ investment cars”, all new cars are horrible wastes of money.
All my vehicle purchases, new or used where far more influenced by want more than need and honesty I don’t regret any of the wasted money, it’s why I work hard, to have the luxury to waste money.
Just my 2c, good luck and give them hell.
That's a great perspective and I share that completely. I used to buy nothing but used for years and I felt that served me well. And until the current situation, I was really only looking at used f-types as well. I felt the depreciation justified it as well as good cpo warranty and reliability record. My m3 is reaching the point where repairs (and i mean just parts as i tend to do most of the work myself) are becoming excessive for a car that is my primary daily driver - that said the car is also well into its teens, so I can't really complain. On the other hand, I always keep my wife in a car under warranty - it's just not worth doing anything else. The uncertainty of what's going on really makes negotiations a completely unknown - and i suspect that is the case for dealers as well. They can probably take a guess at what the cars are costing them to sit on the lot, but I'd bet they're just as clueless about how long this will take. Based on the huge variation in offers I'm getting (6 offers spanning over 30k for nearly the same MSRP) tells me some are much more optimistic than others. My view on this was to take the lowest offer and then decide how much lower i should knock that down...and this is the key thing to decide on...

Old 04-22-2020, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Thanks, I had considered that as the base wheels really do look pretty terrible IMO. Searching through tirerack though didn't come up with many choices so it's good to hear they are out there. I would prefer to go down to 19s but seems there's conflicting information on whether those would fit over the R's brakes.
Cheers. I got these in 21's which with michelins ride as well as my OEMs did on 19's. Plenty to choose from, I'm a real fan. The V-FF 103 Wheel Flow Forged Wheels & Custom Rims | Vorsteiner Wheels

I think they are popular with the M3/M4 crew as well.

Old 04-22-2020, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Cheers. I got these in 21's which with michelins ride as well as my OEMs did on 19's. Plenty to choose from, I'm a real fan. The V-FF 103 Wheel Flow Forged Wheels & Custom Rims | Vorsteiner Wheels

I think they are popular with the M3/M4 crew as well.
Yes they are popular. Good looking wheels, too. Flow forged gives them a better chance of fitting over the brakes as well.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

All of the OEM 19” wheels will fit over the big brake package, but many aftermarket 19” wheels will not.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:30 PM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by bb_sam
Here's the site you need to check --> https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topi...cle/lookupForm

I don't think the VIN box on the main page works so you'll need to register as an "independent operator". Once you're logged in, you can then enter the VIN (or the last 8 characters of the VIN). From there, you'll see an icon of a car on the top right corner, and there's a hyperlink to "see vehicle details"... a multi tab page pops up and there's a tab on that that says "minor features". Here's where you'll see all the options on the vehicle. It literally lists EVERYTHING. As an example, here's what comes up for my vehicle:
Do you know how to request username retrieval? I can't log in because I can't remember my username and don't see how to request it.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:40 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

May not matter as much in Austin, but heated steering wheel (and seats) allow me to comfortably have the top down at 50 degrees (I.e. this afternoon. ) And the mesh wind deflector works, though you lose a bit of clarity in the rear-view mirror.

Aftermarket ‘SmartTop’ controller allows roof/window operation via the key fob. Use it all the time.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:50 AM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

My dealer had a couple with deep discounts (although not sure if they are wiling to go further since I haven't inquired), but I am willing to wait for the free one mentioned above and just to be safe, I am going back to eating kids cereal to increase the odds of getting a daily driver out of it.

Quick Reply: Newbie thinking of buying an F-Type