F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NGPTSQ

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 12:17 PM
Received 425 Likes on 174 Posts
Default NGPTSQ

I will assume most don't know what this is; I did not until I noticed it on my Order Detail sheet and looked it up. It stands for Next Generation Power Train Sound Quality. Lacking any luck in my research, I presume this is an evolution of the Symposer technology, wherein exhaust and engine notes are somehow routed through the car's speakers. The literature I've found indicates that this takes place whether or not the audio system is turned on. The feature is supposedly adjustable although I have had zero success in determining how that is accomplished.
So, if anyone knows how to adjust this, please respond as I would like to fiddle with it to see what effect it has. So far as I can tell to date there is no engine or exhaust notes being broadcast through the speakers. Any other information on this would also be appreciated.

Old 06-14-2022, 02:55 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

I thought that the Symposer feeds engine noise into the cab through a physical diaphragm, without involving the sound system, but I may be wrong.

Old 06-14-2022, 04:35 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

You're correct about the Symposer. Google found the following on a LR dealer's website...

DID YOU KNOW ALL NEW JAGUAR VEHICLES ARE ENGINEERED TO SOUND AS GOOD AS THEY LOOK?

That’s because they are fitted with Next Generation Power Train Sound Quality (NGPTSQ) to electronically enhance existing sound and deliver a more rewarding driving experience.

By using data feeds for engine speed and gear selection, the system carefully constructs a non-intrusive digital audio enhancement, which is played through the audio system.

The sound will be imperceptible as an overlay and will be audible through the speakers even if the customer has the audio system turned off.

The result is a JLR vehicle with effortless power delivery enhanced by an engaging sound quality that builds to an acoustic reward consistent with the vehicle’s performance.
Next Generation Power Train Sound Quality | Land Rover Edison

Old 06-14-2022, 05:33 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Just horrible.

The following users liked this post:
VroomForTwo (06-20-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

So - it's a prerecorded track - not even your actual engine noise?

So could you put the V8 soundtrack on the 4-pot car??

Old 06-14-2022, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

The Symposer is purely mechanical and pumps intake manifolds noise through a speaker/diaphragm into the cabin:

Old 06-14-2022, 08:32 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Maybe we need to confirm the model year in question. Pretty sure that my MY15 car is purely mechanical.

Old 06-14-2022, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The Symposer is purely mechanical and pumps intake manifolds noise through a speaker/diaphragm into the cabin:
But the above says that the system 'constructs' an electronic sound based on speed and revs sent through the audio speakers. So that's not the Symposer. It sounds artificial and electronic synthesized

Old 06-14-2022, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kb58
Maybe we need to confirm the model year in question. Pretty sure that my MY15 car is purely mechanical.
The OP (SassySarah) has a new MY2022, and I am fairly sure this is the first year of the NGPTSQ system.
Others have commented before that the Symposer was dropped a year or two ago but I don't know if there is a gap between dropping the Symposer and equipping the car with NGPTSQ.

Old 06-14-2022, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BritCars
But the above says that the system 'constructs' an electronic sound based on speed and revs sent through the audio speakers. So that's not the Symposer. It sounds artificial and electronic synthesized
I was just showing what the Symposer is so as to point out that it is nothing like the NGPTSQ system.
I am 99% sure that the NGPTSQ has replaced the Symposer so no F-Type (or any other JLR product) would have both systems.

Old 06-14-2022, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

The symposer system is an abomination, but an easily disabled one. The NGPTSQ system sounds like a different abomination. Other manufacturers have been doing it for years, but if it can't be disabled I'm doubly glad I bought when I did.

Old 06-14-2022, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

When we all drive EVs, all we will have is precorded exhausts and deer /pedestrian warning sound generators!!
Welcome to the synthetic world of the future.

Old 06-14-2022, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
When we all drive EVs, all we will have is precorded exhausts and deer /pedestrian warning sound generators!!
Welcome to the synthetic world of the future.
Just wondering, what noise does a deer make when it is about to run across the road in front of you???
And the same for an addled/drunk pedestrian???

Mbourne (06-15-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 08:44 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

My 2021 F Type with a build date of March 2021 does not have the Symposer. I had read about it and was ready to disable it but when I started to look around under the hood I discovered that my car did not have all the extra plumbing for the Symposer system.

To me, it sounds like the exhaust sound from about 3500 RPM and up, or when crackling and popping when downshifting or letting off the throttle when holding it in one gear is coming from right below the seats/floorboard and whatever exhaust system component is located right there.

The only thing I found on my build sheet with respect to the exhaust system was this: 076JB Exhaust Resonator - Standard

Maybe the NGPTSQ is something new for the 2022 models ?

Old 01-23-2023, 11:10 AM

I am reviving this thread to find out if anyone with a 2022 model year F-Type has learned anything whatsoever about this feature--specifically how to adjust the volume. I've tried everything I know to try and can't detect any artificial auditory enhancements much less any adjustability.

Old 01-23-2023, 12:24 PM
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
The symposer system is an abomination, but an easily disabled one. The NGPTSQ system sounds like a different abomination. Other manufacturers have been doing it for years, but if it can't be disabled I'm doubly glad I bought when I did.
What's so bad about it? Honestly don't understand the hate? Is it just that it pumps engine noise into the cabin? Or the unneeded complexity?

Old 01-23-2023, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sovande
What's so bad about it? Honestly don't understand the hate? Is it just that it pumps engine noise into the cabin? Or the unneeded complexity?
It's primarily two things:

1) Under some conditions it's really obvious that it's activating. The sudden change in sound is different than when the active exhaust switches and more intrusive.
2) The quality of the sound. It's a disembodied drone that resonates in the cabin that sounds like neither intake nor exhaust. It just sounds *wrong*.

Secondarily, I find it unnecessary and extra parts that add no value do not belong.

When I disabled it I immediately was happier. Engine sounds come from the front and exhaust sounds from the rear, as nature intended. I'll note that some did not notice any difference after disabling it per my write-up. Perhaps there is a difference between years, maybe it's a 6MT thing, or maybe either theirs or mine was defective. In any case, I'd planned to install a valve to be able to switch it and even went so far as to get the parts, but the more I drove the more I resolved that I'd never want it again.

rsqrd930 (01-24-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
It's primarily two things:

1) Under some conditions it's really obvious that it's activating. The sudden change in sound is different than when the active exhaust switches and more intrusive.
2) The quality of the sound. It's a disembodied drone that resonates in the cabin that sounds like neither intake nor exhaust. It just sounds *wrong*.

Secondarily, I find it unnecessary and extra parts that add no value do not belong.

When I disabled it I immediately was happier. Engine sounds come from the front and exhaust sounds from the rear, as nature intended. I'll note that some did not notice any difference after disabling it per my write-up. Perhaps there is a difference between years, maybe it's a 6MT thing, or maybe either theirs or mine was defective. In any case, I'd planned to install a valve to be able to switch it and even went so far as to get the parts, but the more I drove the more I resolved that I'd never want it again.
Well, thanks gentlemen, your comments have absolutely nothing to do with my revival of this thread. The system of which I speak is the next generation of the Symposer system, and as I've stated I can tell no difference in volume, tone, pitch...anything that I might interpret as a synthetic software attempt to enhance power or engine noises.
Never mind, I'm leaving.

Thunder Dump (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 03:35 PM
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SassySarah
Well, thanks gentlemen, your comments have absolutely nothing to do with my revival of this thread. The system of which I speak is the next generation of the Symposer system, and as I've stated I can tell no difference in volume, tone, pitch...anything that I might interpret as a synthetic software attempt to enhance power or engine noises.
Never mind, I'm leaving.
Take care!

Old 01-23-2023, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member

I was answering a question from a comment of June of last year about the old system. If the system that replaces the symposer does not have that same artificiality then perhaps you're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. It's also possible that there is no such adjustment and therefore no answer to your question. I don't know.

Never mind, I'm leaving.
"Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays."

<shrug>

Last edited by lizzardo; 01-24-2023 at 12:00 AM.

Quick Reply: NGPTSQ