F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightmares with my F-Type 5.0 R AWD !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 04:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Nightmares with my F-Type 5.0 R AWD !!

Guys,

I’m posting my nightmare story with the hope that you can suggest how this can be resolved? Jaguar Customer Relations seem to push the responsibility to the dealer… But I’m still left with the following nightmares.

Car – 2015 F-Type 5.0 AWD R
Dealer – Jaguar Southampton, UK
Mileage 15,984
Purchase Price £72,500
Age - 1 year – 2 months
Previous owner – Jaguar Land Rover

Nightmare 1
Bought the car a few months ago with a slight knocking noise from the engine – the response from the salesman was ‘they all sound like that’ In the excitement of the purchase and the knowledge that I bought an approved used car with low mileage – I assumed it would be ok?

After the purchase I realised this was not right and the dealer agreed this needed looking into – But after 3 weeks in total the engine is out of the car and stripped down but still unfixed and in bits!!

Nightmare 2
• The car is booked into the Goodwood performance car paddock at this weekends Festival of Speed, but with the engine out of the car and stripped down, the dealer is certain it won’t be ready by the weekend and is unsure of when it will be fixed !!!
o
  • When the car was booked in the dealer said ‘Sir we have allocated a week to fix this and a week’s contingency’ – Still after three weeks in total the car is unfixed and in bits !!

Nightmare 3
The car was originally fitted with a heated steering wheel which included the optional extra aluminium paddle shifters, but they were removed from the car prior to the purchase and replaced with a standard non-heated steering wheel
o The dealer has replaced the steering wheel but has not committed to replacing the optional Aluminium paddle shifters

Other Nightmares
• Door trim fell off – This has been fixed.
• Over spray on the front grill – the dealer originally asked me to pay half of the repair as they were not responsible for the previous owners repairs – The previous owner was Jaguar !!
• Auto high-beam does not work

Dealer and Jaguar Customer Relationship experience
• I was provided with courtesy car but had to return the car after one day and at my own expense and time, despite the dealer needing my car to investigate the problems – This left me without a car.
• Jaguar Customer Relationship – Following speaking to them for several days – I’m still left with no plan of when these issues will be resolved!

Old 06-22-2016, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

What's the good news?

Jesus, and I thought I was having a nightmare last night when my dog got skunked at 1:00, and have been up ever since.

You've either been skunked, hood-winked, or simply been provided with as bad a customer experience as this Forum has ever seen...and it's seen plenty.

My only advice is go straight to the top of the dealership - the owner, President, whatever - and calmy but firmly let him/her know your extreme legitimate displeasure. It might fall on deaf ears but they're running a business and one would hope it recieves a positive and immediate response (and not just lip service).

Good luck!

Last edited by RickyJay52; 06-22-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by bellingerp
Guys,

I’m posting my nightmare story with the hope that you can suggest how this can be resolved? Jaguar Customer Relations seem to push the responsibility to the dealer… But I’m still left with the following nightmares.

Car – 2015 F-Type 5.0 AWD R
Dealer – Jaguar Southampton, UK
Mileage 15,984
Purchase Price £72,500
Age - 1 year – 2 months
Previous owner – Jaguar Land Rover

Nightmare 1
Bought the car a few months ago with a slight knocking noise from the engine – the response from the salesman was ‘they all sound like that’ In the excitement of the purchase and the knowledge that I bought an approved used car with low mileage – I assumed it would be ok?

After the purchase I realised this was not right and the dealer agreed this needed looking into – But after 3 weeks in total the engine is out of the car and stripped down but still unfixed and in bits!!

Nightmare 2
• The car is booked into the Goodwood performance car paddock at this weekends Festival of Speed, but with the engine out of the car and stripped down, the dealer is certain it won’t be ready by the weekend and is unsure of when it will be fixed !!!
o
  • When the car was booked in the dealer said ‘Sir we have allocated a week to fix this and a week’s contingency’ – Still after three weeks in total the car is unfixed and in bits !!

Nightmare 3
The car was originally fitted with a heated steering wheel which included the optional extra aluminium paddle shifters, but they were removed from the car prior to the purchase and replaced with a standard non-heated steering wheel
o The dealer has replaced the steering wheel but has not committed to replacing the optional Aluminium paddle shifters

Other Nightmares
• Door trim fell off – This has been fixed.
• Over spray on the front grill – the dealer originally asked me to pay half of the repair as they were not responsible for the previous owners repairs – The previous owner was Jaguar !!
• Auto high-beam does not work

Dealer and Jaguar Customer Relationship experience
• I was provided with courtesy car but had to return the car after one day and at my own expense and time, despite the dealer needing my car to investigate the problems – This left me without a car.
• Jaguar Customer Relationship – Following speaking to them for several days – I’m still left with no plan of when these issues will be resolved!
All this after two months?

First and foremost, If they replace your engine you'll be way ahead at the end of the day. Should you push for a refund or another car of the same value, you'll have to decide if that works for you.

I am assuming due to the light nature of the post, they have provided you a loaner for the entire time the car is being autopsied.

All the other stuff like adaptive not working will be sorted out under warranty so I wouldn't sweat that too much.

Like Jay said, go to the top and firmly demand a clear answer as to what your options are and select one that works for you. Meanwhile rack up mileage on their loaner and demand for yourself a new engine or a different car.

The overspray means previous bodywork or accident. This would concern me as well and I would demand answers as to what the history of the car is. The bodywork could be a direct sue of the noises depending on how and where your car was bapped. Anything on Carfax re: vin?

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-22-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

Southampton was also the suppling dealer for my car, a similar age when I got it last year. I've only been back a few times but they have been better than my local dealer has been. They are one of the better dealers I've used, certainly in the service department. Was Mark your salesman?

The overspray should have been corrected prior to handover as you bought Approved Used. It doesn't matter who the previous owner was (virtually all will be Jaguar-owned staff or press cars, an Oxford registration is the giveway). Press cars tend to get thrashed pretty hard and shifted before 1 year is up so may not even have had the oil changed before you bought it. Consider sending a sample to be tested if the engine is not replaced.

The overspray would be a concern to me as it suggests a poor repair for some reason. Check all visible bolts in and around the painted panel to see if they have had the paint broken on the shoulders which suggests they have been removed and refitted. Buy a digital paint thickness tool and check for any unusually thick or thin coatings on wings, doors, bumpers, etc. New cars are painted by robots with a very uniform thickness. Repairs are painted by humans with spray guns. A good repair is nothing to worry about, but a bad repair can be a real headache and the overspray is not a good start.

(Polaris, we don't have carfax in the UK. If an accident is repairable it is not recorded.)

The steering wheel replacement is probably all you'll get, unless it was sold to you with the alu paddles (i.e. removed after you bought it). That wouldn't be covered by the Approved Used guarantee or your consumer rights.

The other bits are covered under warranty. Not that you should be needing it this early (or ideally at all), but at least you will get them redressed one way or another and end up with the car you wanted to buy.

I had the windscreen replaced on mine two weeks after I bought it because it had been replaced before and fitted 5mm too high (causing it to vibrate). There were also repairs needed to the wiring harnesses after a very poor tracker installation that left, amongst others, the main fuel pump supply wire cut with just twisted ends and some electrical tape. I was given a brand new XJ as a loaner for a week for the screen, and repaired the harnesses myself as it was just easier. The only other niggles have been warranty fixes (stuck vents, broken door handle, rattling driver door).

I doubt you will get your car back in time for the festival, which is a real shame.

I'm not sure from your message if you current have a loaner or not. If you don't, demand one now because the fault being redressed was identified and dismissed prior to the sale. Other than that, you could try and find out the history of the car but you might not get much. All Jag servicing records are reocrded online and as the owner you can access them for your vehicle for free (there will be information on how in your booklets, or you can phone the service dept at HA Fox and they will tell you what to do. I mention that because if the car was repaired and it saw a Jaguar approved bodyshop or a main dealer it should have been recorded on the service records, although you may not find full details about what was actually done.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:23 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with polarisnayxj. As I was reading your descriptions of the nightmares I got the impression this car had been wrecked, quickly repaired and sold to you.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Do you have a comparable loaner? If so, keep driving it. If you don't - why didn't you ask for one?

Only over spray is a concern, everything else should be warranty. Regarding engine, ask them if you can have a new crate engine.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:38 AM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Nightmare 1

Any technical details what's wrong with your engine ?

Regards
Ulrich

Old 06-23-2016, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by f-driver
Any technical details what's wrong with your engine ?

Regards
Ulrich
At present it's unclear but I believe it is with the Jaguar head office engineers and the warranty department to decide next steps - I'm sure they are not wanting to disclose too much

Old 06-23-2016, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
Do you have a comparable loaner? If so, keep driving it. If you don't - why didn't you ask for one?
Comparable Loaner - Ha ha - I have an XF (Not the same as F-Type and have been told they don't loan out F-Types)

Old 06-23-2016, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by xdave
Was Mark your salesman?

(virtually all will be Jaguar-owned staff or press cars, an Oxford registration is the giveway). Press cars tend to get thrashed pretty hard and shifted before 1 year is up so may not even have had the oil changed before you bought it. Consider sending a sample to be tested if the engine is not replaced.

The steering wheel replacement is probably all you'll get, unless it was sold to you with the alu paddles (i.e. removed after you bought it). That wouldn't be covered by the Approved Used guarantee or your consumer rights.

I doubt you will get your car back in time for the festival, which is a real shame.
No the Salesman was Graham

Thanks for the tip - looks like the car was staff or press car - While being registered to Jaguar Land Rover I looked up the previous post code on the log book and it looks like it was managed by Paragon Fleet !!

I did manage to get the build spec when I bought the car - I don't feel it's fair for Jaguar or the dealer to remove options - It's Approved Used right ??

Old 06-23-2016, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Bellingerp - sorry to hear of your issues, really annoying to say the least.

As a new member with few posts I urge you to be careful, it looks like you've just came here to spout about your issues and cause a fuss, it doesn't always work in your favour.
Personally I'd be speaking to the top of the tree at my local Jaguar dealer who sold the car and going from there.
You may also try contacting the CRC through this forum, see here.....https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/u...uar-crc-82019/

Shoot them a private message / email and ask that they get involved and go from there.
Hope to hear of a positive result for you

Best
Jim

Old 06-23-2016, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Now, knowing that is was probably a press car, I would be pressuring the dealer to take the car back, if I were you. I drive my cars hard, but what I've seen the press guys do is unabashed abuse.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

I'll connect the overspray, unheated steering wheel, and paddle shifters to signs of a previous accident/repair. Even the engine, trim, and auto-headlights could be related. I don't think you have any recourse on the paint, per se, or missing options, unless they car was marketed/advertised with them. Everything else can fall under warranty - and may not fit your preferred timeline (unfortunately). I agree with the advice to have a heart-to-heart chat with the General Manager at the dealer. There is a fair question of whether the vehicle and its history were misrepresented.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:36 PM

Update guys...

I'm now happy that it's now being progressed and I'm feeling a whole lot better.
  • Engine update - Two valves and valve buckets are going to be replaced
  • Goodwood - Jaguar have agreed to provide me a 3.0 F-Type Coupe for the weekend - I'm pleased I'm going in an F-Type !!
  • Paddle shifters - Dealer has agreed this will be restored onto the car.

Last edited by bellingerp; 06-24-2016 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Update guys...

I'm now happy that it's now being progressed and I'm feeling a whole lot better.
  • Engine update - Two valves and valve cups are going to be replaced
  • Goodwood - Jaguar have agreed to provide me a 3.0 F-Type Coupe for the weekend - I'm pleased I'm going in an F-Type !!
  • Paddle shifters - Dealer has agreed this will be restored onto the car.
Bellingerp, I hope you used the info you got from us as armory to walk in and demand what was right. I take it they finally looked at the big picture and then decided that you were being treated terribly. I don't know what they do in UK in terms of the obligation between dealership and customer but here, I don't think any dealership could hedge their responsibility in this transaction. Dealerships hate public "complaints" even if it means Yelp.

Glad they did the right thing and hope your car is as good as new.

I would still look into the bodywork situation. Get to the bottom of what exactly happened to the car prior to your ownership and who and where it was repaired. You can then go to that bodyshop and get yourself the paperwork re: scope of the repair. They may even have before and after pics. Only then can you at least know the value of the repair and then get the associated papers involved so you have the warranty docs as the new owner. They will gladly also remove any overspray for you and make sure the car is presented to you in "deliverable" condition. Their quality of work is on display as well.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-23-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

We are very...influential...when needed. That GM won't be taking tap dancing classes any time soon.