Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nissan GT-R versus Jaguar F-Type R AWD Coupé Drag Race

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneAspen
I thought the F-Type had some kind of launch control? Something about stepping on the brake and revving past 4k activated it, or something like that?
I believe this is for the V6S models. But I've actually never heard of any V6S guys using it. The V8 doesn't have LC.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
I believe this is for the V6S models. But I've actually never heard of any V6S guys using it. The V8 doesn't have LC.
Now that the V8 has sufficient traction(AWD) to handle the power, it could actually benefit from a launch control feature.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Yes, Z06 is another story. Incredibly fast, straight line and at the track. Not sure where the V6 F-Type entered the picture.
I put it in the picture because you included a $57K, base C7 in your comparison to $100K-plus top-of-the-line models. My point was the more appropriate comparison in that group was the Z06, which still comes in under $100K. The more expensive base F-Type would have been the more appropriate comparison to the base C7, and it's no contest in 0-60 and 1/4 mile there.

However, I'm with large group here who couldn't possibly care any less about seconds to 60 and 1/4 mi. ET and trap speeds. They are boring. What's not boring is the fun factor, and the Miata is a great example of that, as is the F-Type.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:21 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

I've used it, and it is completely useless.

The car actually felt slower at launch using it. The exact same results can be achieved by performing a brake torque manually at launch. I understand why it is not included in the V8 cars, it is simply a torque fill solution that is not needed with the V8.

It cannot even be compared to Porsche's PDK launch control, which left me shaking with adrenaline after a couple launches in a 997 Turbo S Cab.

Last edited by BierNut; 07-26-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

I remember seeing a video a few months ago where one of the mags did 50+ consecutive launches in a 991 Turbo S...absolutely no problems and results were same every time. German engineering!

Old 07-26-2015, 05:35 PM

I remember seeing a video a few months ago where one of the mags did 50+ consecutive launches in a 991 Turbo S...absolutely no problems and results were same every time. German engineering!
I was very, very impressed as well. I didn't do 50 launches, but did do 3. Two with traction control on, one with traction control off. Absolutely no warning lights, odd smells, or raised temps. The car felt as if it could do it all day, which is amazing considering how violent the launch is.

Last edited by BierNut; 07-26-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:46 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

took porsche a while to get onboard the dual clutch train, but they do have the best box on the market atm

i'm sure you could stall up the auto by 2 pedaling brake and accelerator

Old 07-26-2015, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by domino_z
i'm sure you could stall up the auto by 2 pedaling brake and accelerator
Yes, that's called a brake torque launch. As I mentioned, the launch control on the V6S simply automates a brake torque launch. Very poorly, I would add.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:01 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I use it occasionally. It does jump off the start just a tad faster.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Why would they not test with launch control on the GT-R off? Makes absolutely no sense to me. We all knew before hand that the GT-R would win off the line ....

Old 07-27-2015, 12:06 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

That win for the GT-R was all about launch control. It could not put any more distance between it and the R after a few hundred feet as you can see in the video. The R matched the GT-R's speed and even for a split second look like it was reeling it in but the editing of the video was poorly done to really break down the race from beginning to end. I like the GT-R but the F-Type is more my style.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:09 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusXFR
That win for the GT-R was all about launch control. It could not put any more distance between it and the R after a few hundred feet as you can see in the video. The R matched the GT-R's speed and even for a split second look like it was reeling it in but the editing of the video was poorly done to really break down the race from beginning to end. I like the GT-R but the F-Type is more my style.
I was thinking the same thing. I would welcome another test where they put two equally qualified professional drivers in the cars, with launch control off. I'd also like to see them run the test a few times to avoid anomalies set some averages.

The 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for both cars were below their capabilities, and it seemed to me like the F-Type was catching up with the GT-R slowly but surely. So it would be interesting to see them in a well done head-to-head.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:00 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin
I was thinking the same thing. I would welcome another test where they put two equally qualified professional drivers in the cars, with launch control off. I'd also like to see them run the test a few times to avoid anomalies set some averages.

The 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for both cars were below their capabilities, and it seemed to me like the F-Type was catching up with the GT-R slowly but surely. So it would be interesting to see them in a well done head-to-head.
actually no

higher trap speed on the gtr means it was pulling away

trap speed is the true indicator of a car's horsepower, time is just for ego

you can take launch advantage out, but even from a roll on, with that higher trap, gtr will slowly pull away (up to those speeds at least)

video angles/cut might make you think otherwise, but the data never lies

fwiw, i have never seen an f-type v8 tested trap higher than a stock gtr

The following users liked this post:
BlackPenquinn (04-07-2018)
Old 07-28-2015, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

yup, video clips are often heavily edited from many takes, so don't rely on them too much. I also agree w/ domino_z that the GTR is faster, regardless of launch control. The GTR is a damn fast car, that's why it has such a cult following.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:21 AM
Default AWD R a bit slower than speculated?

The AWD R appears to be down on performance from a numbers perspective when compared to the RWD R. The RWD R was consistently clocking 11.6-11.8 quarter miles at 122-123mph. Is this the first test of the AWD R being clocked for 0-60 & quarter mile times or are there faster runs than this one? The 12 sec quarter mile time is close but that trap speed is a few mph down. The AWD system can't be that power sapping can it? Remember, the RWD R was behind the NISMO GT-R by .3 sec and was about 3 mph slower in the latest Motortrend shootout but would've run neck and neck with this GT-R. Maybe weather and/or track conditions, driver, axis tilt of the Earth who knows why the numbers are a bit lower than what I speculated.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

traction, elevation, weather, etc. lots of factors. This wasn't an objective 1/4 mile run. It was just a head-to-head. I wouldn't read too much into the actual times, only the relative times to each other.

Last edited by shift; 07-28-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

I have no doubt the GT-R is faster, still does not make sense to test one car with against a car without launch control ...

Old 07-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Schwabe
I have no doubt the GT-R is faster, still does not make sense to test one car with against a car without launch control ...
Would have been best to see 2 comparisons, with and without LC. But in fairness, LC is a feature of the car, just like dual clutch, active aero, etc. It's part of the car, so it would be unfair not to allow a car to use it. It'd be like asking the 16 AWD F-Types to disable their AWD

Old 07-28-2015, 02:13 PM

traction, elevation, weather, etc. lots of factors. This wasn't an objective 1/4 mile run. It was just a head-to-head. I wouldn't read too much into the actual times, only the relative times to each other.
Indeed, these head-to-head battles can be unpredictable at times but I was expecting more from the R. Oh well, on to the next review!

Old 07-28-2015, 02:27 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z
actually no

higher trap speed on the gtr means it was pulling away

trap speed is the true indicator of a car's horsepower, time is just for ego

you can take launch advantage out, but even from a roll on, with that higher trap, gtr will slowly pull away (up to those speeds at least)

video angles/cut might make you think otherwise, but the data never lies

fwiw, i have never seen an f-type v8 tested trap higher than a stock gtr
Where have you seen a proper trap speed for the V8 AWD?

As far as I know, we haven't seen a professionally administered independent speed test for the AWD under controlled conditions, so we have no idea what it's trap speed is at this point. That article was done by a journalist who just wanted to see how it ran. They only did one run, and who knows what the conditions were, etc. I read every F-Type review I can get my hands on, so I've seen a lot of similar tests done by other journalists and the numbers are all over. 0-60 times aren't the end all measurement, but in the absence of trap times that is the predominant number we see, and those fluctuate from just over 3 sec to just under 4 sec depending on who did the test.

I agree that the GTR should be the faster car, but it should be pretty close. Based on what we saw in that video, it looked like LC was the deciding factor in that run.

Quick Reply: Nissan GT-R versus Jaguar F-Type R AWD Coupé Drag Race