F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No lock on fuel filler cap

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts
Default No lock on fuel filler cap

One thing I noticed last week was that the lock on my fuel filler cap wasn't working and that when the car was locked the fuel cap remained open.

I assumed I had the same fault which I had on my Range Rover which was that the mechanism which extended and retracted the locking pin had failed.

Took the car to the dealer, and it appears that the car, and another sample we checked from their inventory, actually has no locking mechanism at all. The manual shows that the car is supposed to have a fuel filler lock and it's specifically mentioned and shown in the diagram.

The service manager's initial response was that Jaguar disclaims that the manual may not be representative of the car and it just is what it is...

My position is that a locking fuel cap is something that ought to be on any car - otherwise we're all at risk of fuel theft or some idiot contaminating the fuel.

I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow but wanted to check in with others to see if their car does have the fuel filler lock or whether mine just had it missed.

The dealer did incidentally have a 2015 F-Type Coupe on the showroom floor (and it is absolutely stunning) and that car DID have the locking mechanism on the fuel filler.

My position is going to be car clearly has provision for a filler lock and that I want Jaguar to arrange for one to be fitted but wanted to ask what others thought. I'm hoping this is a mistake and not a deliberate omission as none of us should be happy to find our full tanks of premium available to all and sundry to pilfer or contaminate as they see fit!

Your thoughts?

The following users liked this post:
themacs (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 06:16 PM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

I've had my V8S since early Aug and it does not have the gas door lock either.
I agree with you 100%, it's crazy for any modern car not to have a locking gas door, especially a premium one. It is obviously designed for one and if the coupe does have one it just adds insult to injury.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:18 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default gas cap

I just bought ours on 12/30 and just checked. NO is does NOT lock.

We all need to follow up. If one dealer stands behind the manual then we all have a shot !

Scott

PSHad a brain storm that maybe it was because the top was down. Nope, just tested it with the top UP and windows UP, lights all off etc. Still the cap is NOT locked

Last edited by themacs; 01-02-2014 at 07:27 PM. Reason: more testing
Old 01-02-2014, 07:27 PM

It's just one of those things you would just assume would be there, isn't it? I only realized the issue with my car when I was cleaning it and the fuel cap opened when the car was locked!

I'll report back after my dealer visit tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

themacs (01-02-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 09:48 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

There's a Jag rep on another board, and he just confirmed that the filler cap does not lock.
Jaguar F-Type Forum - View Single Post - Any Questions

Old 01-03-2014, 10:36 AM

Just spoke to the dealership. They say it does lock and I have a problem. Bring it in, get a loaner and we will work on it.

OH BOY. I asked them to do a little more research before I drive it up there and told them about these board responses.

More to come from James I’m sure (and me too).

Old 01-04-2014, 01:42 AM
cjp
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Dang! Mine's the same, no lock. Even my '71 Triumph Stag has a locking fuel cap. Never even occurred to me to look or ask until I read this post.

Chris

Old 01-04-2014, 08:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here. Just bought it 2 weeks ago and checked today. No lock and I can't see anywhere where a pin would go so my guess is it is not something that can be fixed

Old 01-06-2014, 01:07 PM

Just to update everyone:

Had the car in at the dealer on Friday. The long story short is that they are going to reach out to their contacts at the factory - there is no part listed in their ordering system for 2014 F-Types so they can't order one and even if/when they can they need to figure out how it connects into the locking system. They agree that the car should have one (just as it shows in the manual) and they are advising me (and will support me) to escalate this with JCNA which I'll be doing this week. They were hoping to hear something from their own internal investigations this week, if I hear anything I'll report back. They did fix the minor rattle I had from behind the passenger seat - seems to have gone for now!

Old 01-06-2014, 01:20 PM

Quick further update - I've spoken with JLR and they have opened a case on the matter. Again, I'll keep everyone posted.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:04 AM

Here is the most recent e mail from Mike of Jaguar:

Hi Scott,

I have just checked and in the UK this should 100% lock. So I can get my colleagues in the US to look into this further for you please could you supply me with the following information:
Full Name
Email
VIN
Licence Plate
Dealership

Many Thanks

Mike

Boy, what are we doing wrong? All the F’s in the UK have it. More to come.
Mike is very responsive and helpful.

I asked my dealer to go to their lot and simply lock a few F’s and push on the filler flap and see if it opens. I haven’t heard back yet.

More to come.

Scott

PS: Just got this from Mike. Immediate response!

Thank you Scott.

I have now passed this onto my colleagues in the US and someone will be in touch in due course.

Many Thanks

Mike

Last edited by themacs; 01-07-2014 at 09:07 AM. Reason: more information
Old 05-09-2014, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Bump!

Any update on this situation? This is a colossal ****-up.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:51 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default nope

Originally Posted by schraderade

Any update on this situation? This is a colossal ****-up.

I checked the Coupes that just arrived they don't lock either so they haven't fixed it yet. The cars with the first set of upgrades start showing up in August we'll see if they are fixed by then. Apparently this can't be fixed on existing cars.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by enderle
I checked the Coupes that just arrived they don't lock either so they haven't fixed it yet.
Unbelievable.
I have an F-type on order.
I know Jaguar reads these forums.
The majority of Jaguar owners live in cities, and the non locking gas cap is a big problem for urban owners.
If it isn't fixed by June, when my car is delivered, I am going to refuse the delivery and get my deposit refunded (which is easy to do in California).
Fix this, guys.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:39 AM

I agree. It's colossally stupid. When I talked with JLRNA , the idiot who "handled" the case was absolutely useless. He really didn't give a $&@% and was absolutely zero help. It may well take some canceled orders for JLRNA to realize that this isn't acceptable.

Last edited by swajames; 07-11-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member

How do we make this thread sticky?
This is something that new buyers should be aware of.
Even the basic Fiat 500 has a locking gas cap.
Jaguar had time to produce a retractable air conditioning vent for the center console but not a lockable gas cap for the US market??

Old 05-10-2014, 08:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey mine doesn't lock either
Even a Hyundai has locking caps ?

Old 05-10-2014, 09:00 PM

What actually made it worse was the dealer started out by saying they were as annoyed as I was when we first discussed the issue, but actually did absolutely nothing to help. Funny how they push for 10s all round on the surveys, but don't want to do much to earn them....

themacs (05-17-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by swajames
What actually made it worse was the dealer started out by saying they were as annoyed as I was when we first discussed the issue, but actually did absolutely nothing to help. Funny how they push for 10s all round on the surveys, but don't want to do much to earn them....
Could not of said it better I had the EXACT same reaction.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

OK so I contacted Jaguar North America and got this response:

Thank you for contacting Jaguar Land Rover North America LLC.

We received your inquiry regarding a locking fuel cap/door for the Jaguar F-Type. We can certainly understand your concerns regarding this feature. After doing some research, I have been advised that at this time there are no plans to add a locking fuel cap/door to the Jaguar F-Type. I understand how this can be a deciding factor in your purchase; however I truly hope you will still look to be a part of the Jaguar brand.

I have forwarded your comments on to our Product Development team for internal review and consideration for the future. If you have any questions or wish to discuss your concerns further, please contact us at 1-800-452-4827 option 9.
I will forward them links to this forum.
Perhaps you you guys can register your concerns by calling, or leaving a reply on this thread.

Let's try to get this fixed. They should at least offer an aftermarket gas cap that locks, if they can't get the central locking to work.

Quick Reply: No lock on fuel filler cap