Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No lock on fuel filler cap

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 07:12 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
OK so I contacted Jaguar North America and got this response:

I will forward them links to this forum.
Perhaps you you guys can register your concerns by calling, or leaving a reply on this thread.

Let's try to get this fixed. They should at least offer an aftermarket gas cap that locks, if they can't get the central locking to work.
I'm calling tomorrow--It's crazy that apparently all non-U.S. spec f-types have a locking gas fuel door flap. For a vehicle this expensive you would think Jaguar wouldn't be so cheap--especially when the parts exist. I wonder what their logic is for this decision.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by gotwish
I'm calling tomorrow--It's crazy that apparently all non-U.S. spec f-types have a locking gas fuel door flap. For a vehicle this expensive you would think Jaguar wouldn't be so cheap--especially when the parts exist. I wonder what their logic is for this decision.
Agreed. It boggles the mind.
And for Jaguar, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. The first customer who gets sugar, sand or water in their tank WILL win the lawsuit.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Agreed. It boggles the mind.
And for Jaguar, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. The first customer who gets sugar, sand or water in their tank WILL win the lawsuit.
Yep - take the same view. When I pointed that out in another thread, someone basically suggested that I must be beyond retirement age as that was the kind of thing that only his grandmother used to worry about...

Old 05-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by swajames
Yep - take the same view. When I pointed that out in another thread, someone basically suggested that I must be beyond retirement age as that was the kind of thing that only his grandmother used to worry about...
Yup.
Maybe that dude has a trust fund, doesn't actually own an F-type, or is just a fool, cos who would would allow a $120K car to sit around within 5 seconds of major engine damage by any passerby who knows how to unscrew a gas cap?
Would that guy park with his hood wide open every day?

Old 05-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,634 Likes on 8,309 Posts

OK so I contacted Jaguar North America and got this response:

I will forward them links to this forum.
Perhaps you you guys can register your concerns by calling, or leaving a reply on this thread.

Let's try to get this fixed. They should at least offer an aftermarket gas cap that locks, if they can't get the central locking to work.

Dear Jaguar North America

I know people who wouldn't hesitate to put a bullet into someone trying to siphon gas out of their car. Now, who do you think would get sued for allowing a situation like this to occur. Since I currently don't own a Jag, it wouldn't be me.
Obviously none of you live in Southern Calif.

Regards

Jay Tissot

Old 05-19-2014, 12:32 AM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Well I certainly wouldn’t go to extremes if someone was stealing gas from my jag, BUT I can’t speak for others.

It FRANKLY is unbelievable that an automobile of this value does NOT have a locking gas flap WHEN the English jag F does. Gee doesn’t almost every car over $15,000 have one?

Would I want a 1970’s old style CAP that has a KEY to use each time I fill up? I don’t think so. The car has been fitted for the lock in other venues, surely it can be done in the US. However I don’t expect it. Perhaps I am wrong? Hope so.

Does the F coupe have one? I will check at the party this Thursday at Newport Jag.

Scott

Old 05-19-2014, 12:08 PM
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

My dealer confirmed today that both the coupes and the latest convertible they've recieved do not have locks.

He said he's checking to see if the locks on any/all of the other current models are, or can be made compatible with the F-Type.

If I had full part/service catalogs I'd help him!

Old 05-19-2014, 12:34 PM

I am in a brand new XF loaner today as mine is in for a little warranty work, and needless to say the fuel filler flap is indeed lockable. I did see a 2015 R Coupe the other day and that did not. It's obviously not an oversight but a conscious omission, and I personally think it's a very poor piece of design/planning on Jaguar's part. At a minimum I believe US owners should be provided with a locking fuel cap with a key if need be, albeit that would be very inconvenient and a potential risk for those times you need to fill up but have misplaced the key... The car does, of course, have the appropriate holes where the solenoid would engage/disengage the lock. Why they fit the part to only certain cars and not others is just beyond me. Maybe if we all fired in more complaints they might listen...

Old 05-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Damn i would imagine no one has tried to every siphon gas from a jaguar lately. Just about impossible due to filler neck/tank baffling. And if your ex wants to put sugar etc in your gas tank. Well even a locking one only needs a knife or screw driver to pop open. A gas door lock gives the owner peace of mind just as wheel locks and alarms. Cant hot wire a car like thieves used to. No problem, thats what car jackings at gunpoint are for. Seriously dont know why they dont include a locking door, but thats like thinking criminals will turn in their guns if asked too. a locking door will only keep owners out when they fail and you dont want to scratch the paint to open.They want to poison your gas, its just a 2 second screw driver pop away. From what ive seen over the years youll stand a much better chance of getting crap in your gas from the service station than a random act of vandalism. Come to think of it ive seen more damage from ex's and soon to be ex's than random people

Last edited by Brutal; 05-19-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:40 PM

All well and good to pontificate, but it's different when it's your car without the lock.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I just got off the phone with Blair from Jaguar North America and she advised that due to complaints the fuel cap door would no longer lock in the U.S. market.
I asked if we could specify a locking flap and she said no, that would make the vehicle out of compliance for the U.S. market. I told her that I did find it hard to believe ANYONE would ever complain about a locking gas cap flap, and that I thought there would be far more complaints about the flap not locking. She seemed appropriately remorseful, but we all know that and five dollars will get me a cup of coffee.

The following users liked this post:
swajames (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 03:29 PM

Well, it appears that our cars have never had a lock for the US market, and other Jaguars of course do. So "Blair", respectfully, is clearly full of cr@p....

Much the same as when I called. They really do not care about the issue or the feedback, and it's frustrating as our cars in other markets DO have the lock.

Thanks for taking the time to call.

Last edited by swajames; 05-19-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't have a trust fund and do own an F-type... and I think some of you are blowing this way out of proportion. This is the thread that just wont die.

When is the last time anyone has heard of anyone having their cars gas tanked siphoned off. You're talking about $60 of gas *IF* it was even possible and *IF* you left your car unattended in an odd area. What kind of crook would pick an Ftype over something with a larger and more accessible tank?

And like someone else said... if you're really worried about an ex putting sugar in your gas tank, you have bigger issues than your tank not locking.

JMO

Old 05-19-2014, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by New2Jag
I don't have a trust fund and do own an F-type... and I think some of you are blowing this way out of proportion. This is the thread that just wont die.

When is the last time anyone has heard of anyone having their cars gas tanked siphoned off. You're talking about $60 of gas *IF* it was even possible and *IF* you left your car unattended in an odd area. What kind of crook would pick an Ftype over something with a larger and more accessible tank?

And like someone else said... if you're really worried about an ex putting sugar in your gas tank, you have bigger issues than your tank not locking.

JMO
1) Most other cars *do* have locking fuel filler flaps. The F Type is the anomaly, and thus becomes the easier and more obvious target.

2). The main concern isn't fuel theft. It's something being added to the tank. Not everyone appreciates owners of 100k cars had to work to acquire them, and not everyone is as happy as we are that we can afford them. It happens.

3). You'll feel differently if it happened to YOUR car

4) if what you say were true, why does Jaguar bother to fit the part to cars sold in the rest of the world?

Last edited by swajames; 05-19-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:38 PM

I've had two cars stolen in my life time... And One car ended up on blocks with the rims taken. One of them had LoJack that the thiefs disabled. If someone wants to damage your car, or get something from it... They will.. there are far easier things that they could do to ruin your day.

I'm with you on the damage, I'm totally with you on people not respecting other peoples property. But the amount of time and effort put into this discussion seems a little overboard...

...especially the guy that said he would refuse the car.

Seriously? Thats a bit extreme. Lol

The following 2 users liked this post by New2Jag:
Brutal (05-20-2014), plums (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Default all it takes is money

Originally Posted by swajames

1) Most other cars *do* have locking fuel filler flaps. The F Type is the anomaly, and thus becomes the easier and more obvious target.
Most is not all. And as long as it is not legally required, any manufacturer is free to do as they wish.

As for the F-type being an obvious target for gas siphoning, that presumes knowledge on the part of the perpetrator that probably does not exist and will not exist.

However, other F-type owners low on gas, then they would know another F-type does not have a locking lid. Then again, they probably don't carry siphoning equipment in the trunk.

2). The main concern isn't fuel theft. It's something being added to the tank. Not everyone appreciates owners of 100k cars had to work to acquire them, and not everyone is as happy as we are that we can afford them. It happens.
Keying the car is probably easier. How are you going to protect against that? Or should Jaguar be required to protect against that as well?

3). You'll feel differently if it happened to YOUR car

4) if what you say were true, why does Jaguar bother to fit the part to cars sold in the rest of the world?
Other readers on JF know full well that Jaguar customarily has a ROW, NA, and RHD specification for each of their vehicles.

In this particular case, since the parts exist and fitting them would not violate any known regulations ... anyone who really wants the capability can order and fit said parts. Even if it means ordering them from a UK dealer.

Jaguar North America is under no obligation to fit anything, or compensate anyone for a function that was not advertised as being included in the vehicle as sold.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by New2Jag
I've had two cars stolen in my life time... And One car ended up on blocks with the rims taken. One of them had LoJack that the thiefs disabled. If someone wants to damage your car, or get something from it... They will.. there are far easier things that they could do to ruin your day.

I'm with you on the damage, I'm totally with you on people not respecting other peoples property. But the amount of time and effort put into this discussion seems a little overboard...

...especially the guy that said he would refuse the car.

Seriously? Thats a bit extreme. Lol
Respectfully, this makes no sense to me.
I've had 2 houses burglarized, but that doesn't mean I now leave my front door unlocked because "if someone wants to get into my house, they will".
Similarly, if you've had 2 cars stolen do you now leave your cars unlocked in public because if someone wants to damage or steal from your car, they will?

Last edited by schraderade; 05-19-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
Jaguar North America is under no obligation to fit anything, or compensate anyone for a function that was not advertised as being included in the vehicle as sold.
First, do you actually own an F-Type, or are you simply speculating on other people's real concerns? It's obviously a lot easier to dismiss this when it's not your car.

Second, refer to the 2014 US F-Type owner's manual, page 132:

"The vehicle must be unlocked using the Smart key before the filler flap can be opened."

So, (a) yes, the gas cap is represented in writing as being lockable; and (b) even if there wasn't a representation (which there is), there is a lengthy legal history in this country for manufacturers held liable for safety or product damages that arise from poor design or failure to warn.

For example, I'm almost certain that if an F-Type driver got into an accident after engine failure that occurred because a passerby flipped open an unlocked gas cap and poured random crap into it, Jaguar would be found liable for a negligent product safety issue. Their vehicles are reasonably expected to be parked in public places. That's why the hoods of vehicles are not unlocked for free public access, even though any public member can crawl underneath the car to tamper with an engine.

Also, it's not uncommon for manufacturers to issue recalls or fixes for locks or fuel systems:

Attached Thumbnails No lock on fuel filler cap-capture.png  

Last edited by schraderade; 05-19-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:41 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Most is not all. And as long as it is not legally required, any manufacturer is free to do as they wish.

As for the F-type being an obvious target for gas siphoning, that presumes knowledge on the part of the perpetrator that probably does not exist and will not exist.

However, other F-type owners low on gas, then they would know another F-type does not have a locking lid. Then again, they probably don't carry siphoning equipment in the trunk.

Keying the car is probably easier. How are you going to protect against that? Or should Jaguar be required to protect against that as well?

Other readers on JF know full well that Jaguar customarily has a ROW, NA, and RHD specification for each of their vehicles.

In this particular case, since the parts exist and fitting them would not violate any known regulations ... anyone who really wants the capability can order and fit said parts. Even if it means ordering them from a UK dealer.

I understand your thoughts. Just thought I’d say that Jag DID provide a manual with the car that says the care DOES have a fuel door lock. AND the dealer said it had one also. NOT to argue, just pointing it out.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:39 PM

Respectfully, this makes no sense to me.
I've had 2 houses burglarized, but that doesn't mean I now leave my front door unlocked because "if someone wants to get into my house, they will".
Similarly, if you've had 2 cars stolen do you now leave your cars unlocked in public because if someone wants to damage or steal from your car, they will?

How does that metaphor even compare?

I didn't leave my doors unlocked the first time. If you re-read what I said, I said they disabled LoJack. These weren't common crooks. They stole my Escalade out of my driveway with me sitting 15 feet away. I heard it start and drive off. I HAD LoJack. They disabled it. I didn't get the car back for 7 hours and only AFTER they let the thieves leave my vehicle and run away due to a weapon I left in the car (that they stole).

Do I fear someone is going to steal my F-type because of that? Not remotely, I could care less. It's a car and I have good insurance and someone would be doing me a favor since I get full replacement value and a brand new car. It's just that. A car.

The issue to me is that some of you make F-type owners sound like a bunch of primadonas. Sure, the manual said it had a locking fuel filler. So what? Who read the entire manual? Who went through and looked and thought, 'I'm only buying this car because my fuel will be protected'.

None.

Some of the people were told it was included in the manual via online forums and THEN made a fuss after the fact. If someone really wanted to know, they could have dug deeper to see if manufacturing had actually changed production lines to include it. Yet, here we are, weeks after the initial thread being posted, discussing the merits of why Jaguar NA should fix a 'problem' that isn't a problem to some but more to others.

I am quoting the manual here:

'The information contained in this handbook covers all vehicle derivatives and optional equipment, some of which will not by fitted to your vehicle. Due to printing cycles this handbook may include descriptions of options before they become generally available'

Page 2 disclaimer since some of you obviously missed that and are screaming for blood.

And who cares if someone does or does not have the car... they still get an opinion in my book even if I don't agree.

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (05-20-2014)

Quick Reply: No lock on fuel filler cap