Sponsored by:

No lock on fuel filler cap

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by New2Jag
How does that metaphor even compar.
I believe your rationale was: there is no need for a lock because if someone has intent to do damage to the car they're gonna do it whether you have locks, LoJack, or the car sitting in your driveway.

If that fatalism were true and Jag owners can just rely on the insurance backstop, why bother to lock your car at all?

I think we can agree to disagree on the necessity of fuel locks, but there is a reason why the overwhelming majority of cars, from the low end to the highest end, have locking fuel doors. It isn't cos Jaguar is the only genius in an ocean of idiots, or because manufacturers enjoy adding another electromechanical subsystem that could break down. It's because it makes good, common sense and consumers want it. You may like insurance and disagree personally with the necessity, but it seems weird to argue with the collective wisdom and common practice of almost the entire auto industry and the consumers who buy cars.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

I happened to notice a white F Type V6S go by me today and saw the gas cap cover in the opened position. I thought he might just have forgotten to close it.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:48 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I happened to notice a white F Type V6S go by me today and saw the gas cap cover in the opened position. I thought he might just have forgotten to close it.
If it was part of the locking system, his car would have alerted him.
Just saying...........

Old 05-22-2014, 09:24 AM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by gotwish
If it was part of the locking system, his car would have alerted him.
Just saying...........

Does the new Jaguar system do that? My 2004 XKR, 2008 Infinity, 2010 Audi all have locking doors but I've left each one open at one time or other without an alert. That would be handy but unless this is a recent change there is no sensor on the doors.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel tank lock

I had no idea. I just took delivery of a fantastic 2015 coupe F type on saturday and of course, it came with a full tank of gas. I went to the car to check mine after reading the thread and you are right, the fuel cap doesnt lock. unbelievable for an expensive car. I will call the dealer tomorrow but i am not expecting any good news.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:00 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Be prepared for a frustrating experience...

I talked to JLRNA just this past week on this, and the customer service rep I spoke with was hopeless. She basically read from a script - they chose to omit this "feature" for the US, and if you don't like it you can call the Better Business Bureau... She repeated this phrase pretty much word for word several times.

Regardless of what certain others here think, I personally think this is indeed an issue and that it's not acceptable for a premium car to omit such basic security features.

I also have a problem with a company that is trying to sell premium cars to premium customers to tell you to call the BBB when you want to discuss something that bothers you.

I am going to ask my dealer to get involved, but from now on for me it's more about the hopeless CS than the fuel filler issue. The lady I spoke with really has no business being in a customer facing role.

Last edited by swajames; 07-11-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

I called last week. They have a customer feedback/complaint system so if you guys do call, try to register a complaint about it.

Also, Jaguar USA is on twitter at @JaguarUSA so you can get all hacktivist on them and voice your complaints there too

Old 05-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

This sounds like a feature that would be nice to have but I don't think I'd ever actually need it. I've had a few cars without a locking gas cap and I don't think I've ever had my fuel stolen or tampered with. I suppose it depends on what your neighborhood is like!

I'm just saying I don't think the locking gas cap/door wouldn't make make or break the car...

But I do wonder why they omitted it from the Federal cars. There must be less crime over here!

Old 01-06-2015, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I found this old thread regarding non-locking gas caps. I would have thought that the fuel access door is locked when the car is locked. Did this issue ever get resolved by JLR?

Old 01-07-2015, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Can't tell you what the current state of play is re fuel cap locking in the US, but I checked my F Type R picked up 2 weeks ago here in Australia and it definitely has a lock on it that's linked with the central locking of the car.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzRisk
Can't tell you what the current state of play is re fuel cap locking in the US....

We're not too bright up here in the northern colonies and have a fixation on holes. It could be that people were so focused on finding the key hole in the center of the gas cap (very old school), they didn't try getting at it while the car was locked.

The following users liked this post:
OzRisk (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member

No idea whether this will be fixed in the 2016 models, but the 2015 models in the US don't have locking fuel caps or doors (no central locking, no lock on cap).

A jaguar locking cap is available to order though...this thread contains both an OEM part and a jaguar part.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-72/locking-fuel-cap-f-type-117506/#post1035065

Old 01-07-2015, 09:27 AM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I was told it was a choice by Jaguar to NOT put the locking feature on US cars. The rest of the world YES. Not the US. Hard to believe as probably there are more here then the rest of the world combined. They will not change this for the US per the woman I spoke to.
She also sounded like she was reading a script but was nice on the phone.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:48 AM

interestingly enough, before the coupe was launched in the US a few JLRNA cars were circulating around the dealers as preview cars. My local dealer had a BRG coupe on preview for a few days (you were not allowed to drive it) and I can confirm that this particular car *did* have a locking fuel filler as I saw it with my own eyes. I'm somewhat over the fuel filler lock omission on US cars, as inexplicable as it may be it is what it is now, but I'm not over the poor attitude I got from the reps at JLRNA and it will definitely factor in to future purchasing decisions.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I'm not sure why people got so fired up over this. I have no idea why the U.S. market was the only one that doesn't have the fuel door interlock feature. Perhaps it is because fuel theft is kind of a non-issue in the U.S. where our fuel prices are a fraction of what almost everyone else in the world pays. I can't remember the last time I heard of someone siphoning gas out of a car. It's easier and much more lucrative for bad guys to find a buddy with a flat-bed and take the entire car.

However, it never has ,and never will, offer much, if any, protection. All anyone needs to open a locked fuel door with that flimsy locking pin is a large std. screwdriver. It seems to me that having it locked would cause more damage than good in a fuel theft situation.

If you feel the need to have that security, a locked fuel cap is available, even though that method is a bit of a pain.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:01 AM

It's not really fuel theft, Foosh, it's the ability of others if they were so minded to contaminate it. Some people don't take kindly to what they see as rich *******s in their 100k cars. That risk may be small, but the lock omission made it a bigger risk than it needed to be. I have six cars, all recent, and the only one that doesn't have a lock on the fuel filler is the Jag. It's an inexplicable omission in my book.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, I get that, but all it takes is a screw-driver, and then they can do even more damage in addition to fuel contamination.

Actually a lot of cars in the U.S. now don't have it, even more upscale models. My wife's fully-optioned 2014 Cadillac ATS doesn't have the locking door either.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by swajames
It's not really fuel theft, Foosh, it's the ability of others if they were so minded to contaminate it.
That is my only concern. With the little flapper gizmos in the filler neck these days , its virtually impossible to siphon gas anyway. Well, let's see if we get it in MY2016.

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-07-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
That is my only concern. With the little flapper gizmos in the filler neck these days , its virtually impossible to siphon gas anyway. Well, let's see if we get it in MY2016.
And if someone decides they want to contaminate your fuel, you think that little door is going to stop them?

Old 01-07-2015, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh
And if someone decides they want to contaminate your fuel, you think that little door is going to stop them?
Why make it easy? Much of this stuff is opportunistic, and the lack of a lock removes at least one deterrent. If you follow that logic, Foosh, you may as well as just leave the front door to your house and your windows permanently open as if someone wants to break in they're going to do it....

Quick Reply: No lock on fuel filler cap