F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no more uploading CDs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015 | 10:40 AM
|
Default no more uploading CDs?

I can't find the "upload" soft key for CDs. The "my music" screen shown on p. 118 in the manual is different in my car: there's no "upload" (or "browse), just "settings" and "track list" on the right. It's not on the source screen either, nor would I expect it to be. So where is it? Could it be that this feature was eliminated in MY16? Has anyone with a MY16 uploaded CDs?

Thanks.

P.S.: This thread is intended to be about uploading CDs, not about CDs vs. newer technology ("What's a CD," etc.)

Old 08-08-2015 | 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Frenchy
I can't find the "upload" soft key for CDs. The "my music" screen shown on p. 118 in the manual is different in my car: there's no "upload" (or "browse), just "settings" and "track list" on the right. It's not on the source screen either, nor would I expect it to be. So where is it? Could it be that this feature was eliminated in MY16? Has anyone with a MY16 uploaded CDs?

Thanks.

P.S.: This thread is intended to be about uploading CDs, not about CDs vs. newer technology ("What's a CD," etc.)
Look for a right and left arrow on each side of one of those screens to reveal additional screens.

Old 08-08-2015 | 11:30 AM
|

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Look for a right and left arrow on each side of one of those screens to reveal additional screens.
I did but will again.

Question: Have you uploaded any CDs?

P.S. Very sorry to hear about your MT problems. I know how excited you were about getting the car, and now to be deprived of it... really sucks.

Old 08-08-2015 | 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

I did but will again.

Question: Have you uploaded any CDs?

P.S. Very sorry to hear about your MT problems. I know how excited you were about getting the car, and now to be deprived of it... really sucks.
I haven't uploaded any yet, but almost certain I saw the option on one of the screens.

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-08-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-08-2015 | 12:38 PM

Go to My Music.
Go to CD Changer
The upload option should be there.

In the manual they make it look like it's on the CD screen, but it's actually on the CD Changer screen.

BTW, there is no actual "CD Changer" anywhere in the car, and it's not an option either ;-) That's for uploaded music.

Old 08-08-2015 | 02:39 PM
|

Originally Posted by Daniel Danny
Go to My Music.
Go to CD Changer
The upload option should be there.

In the manual they make it look like it's on the CD screen, but it's actually on the CD Changer screen.

BTW, there is no actual "CD Changer" anywhere in the car, and it's not an option either ;-) That's for uploaded music.
I'll try that. I (re-)tried lhoboy's suggestion but there aren't any other screens to the left or right.

Question: Have you uploaded any CDs yet?

Old 08-09-2015 | 11:08 AM
|

Thanks, Daniel. That worked.

Since you knew where they had hid Upload, maybe you can help me solve a new problem: The CDs upload as CD1, CD 2, etc. (They're regular commercially purchased CDs, not CD-Rs or CD-RWs.) Any way to (re-)name them: Haydn string quartets, Best of Queen, etc. I don't suppose so...

Old 08-09-2015 | 01:26 PM

Any way to (re-)name them: Haydn string quartets, Best of Queen, etc. I don't suppose so...
Mine picked up the album info (gracenotes database) and shows the album names, just like it does when I play CDs the regular way, so I never tried renaming them. Doesn't yours do that too?

I don't think you can manually rename them. I've never seen that option.

Old 08-09-2015 | 01:37 PM
|

Yeah, my SLK55 had Gracenotes. I didn't have to activate it: it just worked. It's probably somewhere on the Jag (MY16) but inactive. Annoying, these details.

Maybe someone in my service department knows. I really doubt it, but I'll check tomorrow.

Old 08-10-2015 | 01:46 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

My 2014 picked up names for some old classical CDs - don't think you have enable Gracenote.

Should be an info screen somewhere which would have the version # of the maps, Gracenote, etc. 'Should' doesn't mean there is - don't recall seeing this.

Old 08-10-2015 | 03:50 PM

After reading this thread, I decided to try uploading a couple CD’s last night. Pretty slow process but it works. Just don’t be in a hurry!

Old 08-10-2015 | 03:55 PM
|

Originally Posted by jmfan
After reading this thread, I decided to try uploading a couple CD’s last night. Pretty slow process but it works. Just don’t be in a hurry!
Yes, it works. The problem now, as I indicated in an earlier post, is that the CDs upload as "CD-1," "CD-2," etc. The Gracenote software is supposed to read the names of the CDs and display them. Any suggestions?

Old 08-10-2015 | 04:58 PM

I only uploaded two discs and this in how they look in my car. Not sure if I fully understand the issue you are having. Can you post some photos?

Old 08-10-2015 | 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Daniel. That worked.

Since you knew where they had hid Upload, maybe you can help me solve a new problem: The CDs upload as CD1, CD 2, etc. (They're regular commercially purchased CDs, not CD-Rs or CD-RWs.) Any way to (re-)name them: Haydn string quartets, Best of Queen, etc. I don't suppose so...
All of my uploaded CD's are home made "best of" mixes. When burning the discs, I title each one with the group name (Pink Floyd, etc), while each of the tracks has name tags. The end result is that browsing the list of disc's shows the group names, and each song title is shown as it plays. Unfortunately, you can't create the disc's as MP3's and get them to upload.

Old 08-10-2015 | 05:27 PM
|

I only uploaded two discs and this in how they look in my car. Not sure if I fully understand the issue you are having. Can you post some photos?
The issue, as I indicated, is that when I upload them, instead of displaying as, say, "Gold" or "Retrospective II" (to take 2 examples from your pics), they display as "CD1" and "CD2." It doesn't read THE NAME of the CD. (They're not CD-RW or CD-R. They're commercially purchased CDs, you know, like "albums.")

Old 08-10-2015 | 05:47 PM

Sorry, I don’t know the answer then. I just uploaded two purchased CD’s I had and they loaded fine. I did not do anything special to get them to load and display the information. To me, this method of storing music is cumbersome and takes too long. It took more than 20 minutes to load the first CD which is ridiculous.

Old 08-10-2015 | 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry for the butt-in, but it does sound ridiculous. Why bother with this, when you can load to an SD card or, better yet, either Bluetooth stream or USB connect a smart-phone?

I just purchased a car that doesn't even have a CD loader, just the SD, USB, and Bluetooth inputs. A couple of years from now, CD capability in vehicles will go the way of cassette decks.

Old 08-10-2015 | 06:09 PM

Foosh, I agree. I tried the CD upload as an experiment and was disappointed as expected. I play music files off of a USB stick in AAC file format which I feel works and sounds better. It is much easier for me to manage the music on my computer and put different playlists on the USB stick. Pandora through Bluetooth works well also. The CD changer option is not one I will be using from here forward. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-10-2015 | 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Foosh, I agree. I tried the CD upload as an experiment and was disappointed as expected. I play music files off of a USB stick in AAC file format which I feel works and sounds better. It is much easier for me to manage the music on my computer and put different playlists on the USB stick. Pandora through Bluetooth works well also. The CD changer option is not one I will be using from here forward. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the confirmation. I wondered if I might be missing something.

Old 08-10-2015 | 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

I was just reading the UK F-Type Owners Club forum about the infamous Gear Box Fault. Included was mention of sudden inability to read CD Titles. Per their dealer, there's a technical bulletin/fix:

Gearbox fault - Jaguar F-Type Forums - Page 1

Last edited by uncheel; 08-11-2015 at 12:07 PM.

Quick Reply: no more uploading CDs?