Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more V8's...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Did you get any discount on that F-Pace SVR? I am considering moving out of my X5
As I have bought about 5 Jaguars from this dealer over time, they reluctantly dropped price a grand and promised a few tidbits when its delivered... these are all sold instantly so they did not need to reduce price in reality... I did insist though, so I guess I'm considered a good customer over time.

Should add they gave me a good trade price on top.
Lawrence

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
@Mulmur.
I am sóóó jealous of you.... ... completely ridiculously taxed '..out-of-this-world..' on this side of the big pond..
So much, JLR doesn't even offer it here. A FT V8 starts at € 200.000,- now. Not the SVR even..

I think you made a good buy. Although I would personnally have bought a RRS V8 [ don't even know of such a beast exists in petrol],
although the RRS will soon have anew model.
Jag's have been really reliable and lots of fun to drive so I'm sticking with the brand for now at least.
Having worked in the U.K. with the Euro Union influence; I would actually not be very happy or comfortable living with the controls and overreach from 'Brussels' so I do feel sorry for you relative to the tax burden and so forth.
Lawrence

Old 09-15-2018, 12:18 AM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
Completely ridiculously taxed '..out-of-this-world..' on this side of the big pond..
So much, JLR doesn't even offer it here. A FT V8 starts at € 200.000,- now. Not the SVR even..
Unfortunately the one way to afford big engine'd sports cars down here because of taxes, is to go classic.
We'll thus have to wait another 25 years or so for a V8/SVR...
On the other hand, we in Belgium are still reasonably "lucky", where Dan lives, taxes are really outrageous!

Old 09-15-2018, 05:53 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
I don't worry so much about privacy as I do about the risk of automatic updates. My computer, tablet and phone have all been rendered inoperable at times by a software or operating system update. I've usually been able to uninstall the update and get it working again, but there's been a couple of times I've had to wipe a disk and copy from the backup. And just one day last week, I was starting a meeting in the conference room, turned the computer on to bring up a Powerpoint and it says "Applying updates, please wait." I've got people coming in for a meeting, people I'm paying quite a lot for their time. I can't afford for them to wait.

Imagine getting in your car to drive to work at 7:00am, pushing the start button and a message comes on the dash "Applying update 1 of 143, Please wait." Sorry boss, I was 30 minutes late to work because my car decided to update its operating system this morning. Or worse, when its all finished updating, it won't start. You call Jaguar technical support, listen to the recorded message that walks you through a bunch of system checks, then some Tata technical support guy comes on the phone and walks you through the same checks again only to have to finally send a tow truck sometime after 10:00am.

Remember when Microsoft was pushing Windows 8 and got sneaky, fixing it so that just X'ing out the pop-up was the same as clicking "OK"? I couldn't pick up a prescription at the pharmacy because their pharmacy software didn't work with Windows 8 and somebody just X'd out of that Window. They were down for a whole day while waiting for an IT person to come out and restore Windows 7.

Was hanging around listening to a group of Tesla owners at a Cars and Coffee a couple of years ago and it was unlike any gearhead conversation that I had ever heard. "Did you download the latest firmware update <version number>?" "Yes, but now my windows won't roll down unless I first do this <demonstrates workaround>."

No, unscheduled updates are unacceptable. Once the software is loaded at the factory and everything is working, they need to leave it alone. The only time it should be updated is when its in the dealer service bay where if anything goes wrong, they can fix it. And even then, it shouldn't be updated unless its a critical safety or security issue or a bug fix. But no doubt they'll get some notion to send an update to improve emissions or add some new feature or even just to rearrange the icons on the touchscreen. In my 25 years with online technology, it just seems that every update has the potential for inconvenience or disaster.
My experience with IT dates from 1975, never had your experience, since auto update became an option on PC, tablet, phone etc it has always been possible to either disable it entirely or choose if and when to update.

Also consider alternative possibilities such as a safety or security issue that isn't updated due to an owner not having regular service visits.