Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy supercharger after solid coupler installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 05:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Noisy supercharger after solid coupler installed

Hi,

Like some of us here, The supercharger on my F-type S was making a bad « can with rocks noise » at idle, wasn’t that bad but we could definitely hear it from time to time, especially when turning off the engine. So I changed the coupler with a solid one, thought it would be better than the oem one, then I start the car, the noise was gone, perfect !

I did the repair last week, and today I noticed a growl sound, not noticeable inside the car, I opened the hood, and now I can hear a loud growling, « can full of rocks noise » at idle, without interupting, it’s way louder than before.

The car works great, no loss of power or anything like that, but the noise is really loud and doesn’t seem normal at all,

Any idea why the noise appeared like one week after or what is it ?

I noticed no play at all in the supercharger, maybe the full nose need to be replaced ?

Thanks

Old 11-30-2020, 03:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old 05-27-2023, 11:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rotax
Hi,

Like some of us here, The supercharger on my F-type S was making a bad « can with rocks noise » at idle, wasn’t that bad but we could definitely hear it from time to time, especially when turning off the engine. So I changed the coupler with a solid one, thought it would be better than the oem one, then I start the car, the noise was gone, perfect !

I did the repair last week, and today I noticed a growl sound, not noticeable inside the car, I opened the hood, and now I can hear a loud growling, « can full of rocks noise » at idle, without interupting, it’s way louder than before.

The car works great, no loss of power or anything like that, but the noise is really loud and doesn’t seem normal at all,

Any idea why the noise appeared like one week after or what is it ?

I noticed no play at all in the supercharger, maybe the full nose need to be replaced ?

Thanks
I am having the same issue. Replaced my coupler as preventative maintenance when I had my supercharger off and now it sounds like there are rocks in the supercharger one week later. Did you ever figure out the issue?

Old 12-27-2023, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 268 Posts

Same here on my 2014 Range Rover Sport with the 3.0L.

It was butter smooth when I first installed the ZZPerformance solid coupler. Now it's growling as well.

I am wondering what is the extent of the damage due to the solid coupler? Will it just need a new snout, or the whole supercharger replaced or rebuilt?

Old 12-28-2023, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 399 Posts

We just had our snout replaced with a solid one as part of the aluminum coolant pipe upgrade.

It makes a constant audible sound (not just when cold, as the original one did). I kinda expected it to be silent. It isn't that loud, but my ears are 'tuned in'.

We had the belts replaced too, don't know if it is belt/idler noise?

Old 12-28-2023, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 315 Posts

Did you use the one in my video I've had mine on for a month now ,and it's quiet as a mouse, some where in the video I post the one I used

The following users liked this post:
Borbor (12-28-2023)
Old 06-08-2024, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Growling supercharger after coupler replacement

I have experienced something similar with my 2015 F type base. Had some bad coolant pipes underneath the SC, got all that replaced. While I'm here let's fix the couple that makes a clunk sound when the engine turns off and sometimes makes a tin full of beads sound on low rpm. Start the car and its VERY different. The SC is much Lowder with this strong growling sound. Kinda sounds like a 4cylinder truck now and so far as I can tell the clunck sound is still there. The couple I replaced it with was an original spring loaded coupler from Jag because I heard they ran smoother and was recommended that. Maybe there is a break in period for this? It's been 1 day so far. Kinda feels like you made the car worse by fixing it please help if anyone had similar experience

Old 06-08-2024, 02:13 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I replaced mine on my old XF with updated Eaton part after reading the trouble that the GM LSA guys were having with ZZP and other aftermarket isolator makers. Using the official Eaton part, mine was quiet after replacement and I didn't hear a peep out of it after putting 60K miles on it. Tons of reports online of people replacing their isolators and then having noise develop. Some report noise right away after repair others report the noise developed over time.

Here is the forum where they talk about using aftermarket couplers and the sound going away after moving to the official Eaton part. 4th post down the page.
https://www.g8board.com/threads/lsa-...etness.280901/

I also found this video while getting the direct link to their part. Eaton has a good video showing counterfeit versions of their product floating around, but more importantly they show how solid of a joint their updated coupler makes.

Eaton Supercharger Isolator:
https://superchargersonline.com/prod...-engine-09-14/
They use the exact same Eaton TVS1900 supercharger so don't be alarmed that this is for GM cars.

Hope this helps!

JgaXkr (06-08-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by GaiaXF-V8S
I replaced mine on my old XF with updated Eaton part after reading the trouble that the GM LSA guys were having with ZZP and other aftermarket isolator makers. Using the official Eaton part, mine was quiet after replacement and I didn't hear a peep out of it after putting 60K miles on it. Tons of reports online of people replacing their isolators and then having noise develop. Some report noise right away after repair others report the noise developed over time.

Here is the forum where they talk about using aftermarket couplers and the sound going away after moving to the official Eaton part. 4th post down the page.
https://www.g8board.com/threads/lsa-...etness.280901/

I also found this video while getting the direct link to their part. Eaton has a good video showing counterfeit versions of their product floating around, but more importantly they show how solid of a joint their updated coupler makes.

Eaton Supercharger Isolator:
https://superchargersonline.com/prod...-engine-09-14/
They use the exact same Eaton TVS1900 supercharger so don't be alarmed that this is for GM cars.

Hope this helps!
Is that Eaton part for the V6 or V8, because they are different. The V8 is thinner than the V6 coupler.

Interesting video. I can tell you the ZZP coupler is made of very hard material and fits very tightly, so Eaton's claim is the aftermarket ones are a problem because they are soft and loose. That makes me worry that I will have the same issue with the Eaton that I had with the ZZP.

Old 06-08-2024, 03:07 PM

Only for the TVS1900 of the 5.0. I am unsure if there is a solution for the V6.

Old 06-08-2024, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,213 Likes on 2,368 Posts

Here is a Fleabay listing for the Eaton V6 SC coupler: https://www.ebay.com/itm/12537909232...Bk9SR-jI9af_Yw

Old 06-09-2024, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,247 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by GaiaXF-V8S
Only for the TVS1900 of the 5.0. I am unsure if there is a solution for the V6.
Well, yes, the solution is to to fit an OEM non-solid rotor. While changing from plastic to metal coolant pipes on my V6S, I decided to put on a new isolator (the type with a spring). (I have to clarify that the original isolator was NOT making any noise, but “while we are in there…” thinking took over). My dealer fitted the aftermarket isolator I had provided but they reported that it did not fit tightly. So we decided to fit a new OEM JLM isolator. No noise.

Old 06-13-2024, 02:24 PM

That is unfortunately not the solution as the spring coupler is not the only issue. The input shaft is made of a softer metal than the spring is. Over time deep grooves will wear into the shaft that increases torsional vibration leading to noise and possibly bearing failure if not addressed. The Eaton solid coupler was installed after much research into this issue on my first XF years ago. ZZP, LPE and other aftermarket couplers have been installed by folks who have the TVS1900 on whatever cars they have and there have been a lot of mixed results regarding noise. I went with the Eaton solid after much research about the issue. I liked that it was an actual Eaton part and at the time I could not find anyone who had problems after installing the Eaton solid. The video I posted shows what your install more than likely looked like with your aftermarket solid coupler, way too much play. Since you did not have any noise before the spring style coupler was installed, your input shaft probably does not have enough wear yet. I forget the exact mileage noise on my first XF started, but I want to say it was around 80K miles. I hope this information helps in case you have to revisit the issue in the future!

dmchao (07-10-2024)