F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a happy camper in SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 07:11 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Not a happy camper in SoCal

Don't know if others have gone through this yet but I brought my car in 2 weeks ago to check for a vibrating noise (original post here).

I mentioned also that I've been noticing that the fuel indicator seems to be "off" after a fuel sensor had been replaced. Well, it turns out that there's a service bulletin on fuel tanks on these (and other JLR vehicles) that requires the full replacement of the fuel tank itself.

To add further aggravation, my SA (won't name the service center yet) has been completely uncommunicative for 2 weeks. Each time I needed to follow up with him to find out what the hell is going on.

Fast forward to today: find out that the fuel tank won't get here until July 18th (supposedly through an elevated request).

So a question and a recommendation:
Q: Has anyone gone through this service bulletin and if so, what was the turn around on your replacement?

R: If you're noticing that the fuel indicator is inaccurate, first notify the dealer of the issue then hold on to your vehicle until they can confirm that the part is in.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Socal_transplant
... first notify the dealer of the issue then hold on to your vehicle until they can confirm that the part is in.
+1. Found that out the hard way the first time the clutch was replaced (had no choice really, because it totally disintegrated). Second time around, I held onto the car until all the parts arrived.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:27 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Yikes! Does anybody have access to the text of this SA?

Old 07-08-2016, 10:47 AM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Socal_transplant
Don't know if others have gone through this yet but I brought my car in 2 weeks ago to check for a vibrating noise (original post here).

I mentioned also that I've been noticing that the fuel indicator seems to be "off" after a fuel sensor had been replaced. Well, it turns out that there's a service bulletin on fuel tanks on these (and other JLR vehicles) that requires the full replacement of the fuel tank itself.

To add further aggravation, my SA (won't name the service center yet) has been completely uncommunicative for 2 weeks. Each time I needed to follow up with him to find out what the hell is going on.

Fast forward to today: find out that the fuel tank won't get here until July 18th (supposedly through an elevated request).

So a question and a recommendation:
Q: Has anyone gone through this service bulletin and if so, what was the turn around on your replacement?

R: If you're noticing that the fuel indicator is inaccurate, first notify the dealer of the issue then hold on to your vehicle until they can confirm that the part is in.
Check your PM.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:52 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

socal_transplant writes: "It turns out that there's a service bulletin on fuel tanks on these (and other JLR vehicles) that requires the full replacement of the fuel tank itself."

To echo bwco's request, could you (socal_transplant) or anyone please share with us the text of that bulletin?

Thanks much.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Frenchy
socal_transplant writes: "It turns out that there's a service bulletin on fuel tanks on these (and other JLR vehicles) that requires the full replacement of the fuel tank itself."

To echo bwco's request, could you (socal_transplant) or anyone please share with us the text of that bulletin?

Thanks much.
That's the rub. I'm not getting too much info from the SA. I plan to find out next week as I've been preoccupied with other business matters. As I learn more, I'll be sure to share any and all info I get.

The following users liked this post:
bwco (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 02:20 PM

UPDATE July 11.

Hi all,
Had a lengthy in-person discussion today with the SA and he was able to clarify certain points on this matter. In a nutshell, this is NOT an open campaign, but a matter that does affect certain individual vehicles.

Paraphrasing the SA: this is more prevalent on Land Rover vehicles where the fuel tank is not "molded correctly and require replacement." Some Jaguars are affected but it's more a case-by-case matter. He suggests that if anyone is experiencing a situation where the fuel gauge is not accurately depicting the capacity of the fuel tank (easiest to know immediately after filling up) then they should bring the car to their service center. The caveat here is that it "could" be the fuel tank, the instrument cluster itself or a combination of.

My sincerest apologies if my previous post caused any consternation.

The following users liked this post:
bwco (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 05:19 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for clarifying that -- makes sense. I've not seen anything strange with my indicated fuel level, at least.