Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not Happy with Clutch Feel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts
Thumbs up Not Happy with Clutch Feel?

As far back as the first media test drives of the MT, drivers have been commenting on the sloppy feel of the clutch with no fixed or precise friction point. I think I have found the source of this issue.

From the Jag service documents: "The lower HP (high pressure) pipe section comprises a flexible hose and a hydraulic adaptor, which passes through a sealed hole in the transmission housing and provides the connection between the flexible hose and the clutch slave cylinder with quick release connectors. The hydraulic adaptor contains a peak torque limiter to prevent instant clutch engagement if the driver accidentally releases the clutch pedal quickly to prevent damage to the driveline components."

Next up, I'll order one of these units and will work with Zeckhausen Racing to develop a solution for this problem. Zeckhausen developed the Clutch Delay Valve delete that a lot of BMW tuners use.

My solution to avoiding driveline damage is to not accidentally release the clutch quickly. I haven't done that since I was 16.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
clutch control description.pdf (247.5 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-01-2016 at 06:44 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Unhingd:
BONESTOCK (11-26-2022), Buckingham (12-31-2015), MagnumPI (01-03-2016), Uncle Fishbits (03-01-2016)
Old 12-31-2015, 09:13 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Keep us informed. I've had to adapt my takeoffs to the unusual clutch characteristics but would love to return to a normal clutch feel. I guess the delay valve is for clutch 'klutzes'.

The following 2 users liked this post by Buckingham:
BONESTOCK (11-26-2022), Manual-S (09-23-2019)
Old 12-31-2015, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 736 Posts

The clutch feel is orders of magnitude better than that on my C30, but that doesn't mean it's not worse than my that of my first cat, a 1966 Volvo 122S. For the record, it is. Also worse than a 1976 Toyota Corolla SR5, with which I learned to drive. (Yes, the first car I owned was older).

These delay valves allow them to get away with more fragile drivelines. <unhappy face>

Old 01-01-2016, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

What an insult!

The offending part is made by (or for) Volvo.

The following users liked this post:
BONESTOCK (11-26-2022)
Old 01-01-2016, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
What an insult!

Safety first!

Old 01-01-2016, 02:31 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

As far back as the first media test drives of the MT, drivers have been commenting on the sloppy feel of the clutch with no fixed or precise friction point. I think I have found the source of this issue.

From the Jag service documents: "The lower HP (high pressure) pipe section comprises a flexible hose and a hydraulic adaptor, which passes through a sealed hole in the transmission housing and provides the connection between the flexible hose and the clutch slave cylinder with quick release connectors. The hydraulic adaptor contains a peak torque limiter to prevent instant clutch engagement if the driver accidentally releases the clutch pedal quickly to prevent damage to the driveline components."

Next up, I'll order one of these units and will work with Zeckhausen Racing to develop a solution for this problem. Zeckhausen developed the Clutch Delay Valve delete that a lot of BMW tuners use.

My solution to avoiding driveline damage is to not accidentally release the clutch quickly. I haven't done that since I was 16.
And when you were 16, it wasn't "accidentally".

Old 01-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IRRBrogue
And when you were 16, it wasn't "accidentally".
Yes sir, it was! Purposefully, I release it quickly on a daily basis. Jag doesn't claim that could be damaging.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:31 PM
Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts

What an insult!

Volvo? V-O-L-V-O? As in: owned by the Chinese company Zhejiang Geely? The more I read in these threads, the more I am leaning back towards the good old ZF auto-8-speed.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMike
Volvo? V-O-L-V-O? As in: owned by the Chinese company Zhejiang Geely? The more I read in these threads, the more I am leaning back towards the good old ZF auto-8-speed.
I'm not sure what your point is. If it's the foreign ownership, then best skip Jaguar. Moving on ...

There are a couple of things going on here:

1) The ZF 8-speed automatic is very, very good.
2) The 6-speed manual is not perfect.

Yes, I wish the clutch feel was more like the Old Days. No, I'm not sorry I got the manual transmission. There are aspects that could use a little improvement, but I think that's a pretty universal statement.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Yes, I wish the clutch feel was more like the Old Days. No, I'm not sorry I got the manual transmission. There are aspects that could use a little improvement, but I think that's a pretty universal statement.
+1.

The F-Type driving experience for me with the MT is far better than that of the AT despite the AT's performance superiority. On my 2002 MINI, they didn't get it completely right either, but with the eventual addition of a short-shifter, LSD and a closer ratio gearbox, I made it great. The F-Type MT can be made right as well. It will just take me a bit of time. Lot's of aftermarket vendors willing to assist (Fidanza, Zeckhausen, ClutchMasters, etc.)

The following users liked this post:
Manual-S (09-23-2019)
Old 01-01-2016, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

+1.

The F-Type driving experience for me with the MT is far better than that of the AT despite the AT's performance superiority. On my 2002 MINI, they didn't get it completely right either, but with the eventual addition of a short-shifter, LSD and a closer ratio gearbox, I made it great. The F-Type MT can be made right as well. It will just take me a bit of time. Lot's of aftermarket vendors willing to assist (Fidanza, Zeckhausen, ClutchMasters, etc.)
I hope you're right about that. My concern relates to the difficulty for aftermarket vendors in making rational business cases for F-Type parts development, given the very low production numbers of these cars. This ain't no ubiquitous Mini, or BMW, or Corvette . . .

On the other hand, you might get lucky if aftermarket parts developed for more common makes can be adapted to the F-Type.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
On the other hand, you might get lucky if aftermarket parts developed for more common makes can be adapted to the F-Type.
Agreed. This is exactly what I am shooting for. It is expected that the short-shifter can be adapted from a 135i kit, and the peak torque limiter (PTL) will be a modified OEM unit. Unfortunately, there is still a 50/50 likelihood that the tranny will need to be removed from the car to swap out the PTL. If it does, then I will have a competition clutch builder custom build a 450+lb-ft clutch to install as well.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:53 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Looks like the fix is to remove the offending part and replace with a regular section of pipe or hose. Maybe a local shop can supply a hydraulic hose with the correct fittings? Looks like the ptl is just a restricting valve...

Old 01-02-2016, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mshedden
Looks like the fix is to remove the offending part and replace with a regular section of pipe or hose. Maybe a local shop can supply a hydraulic hose with the correct fittings? Looks like the ptl is just a restricting valve...
The bleed valve, though, needs to remain in place to bleed the system. There is a possibility that the unit can be disassembled and the check valve (ball and spring) removed. This would leave an entirely stock looking system.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:24 AM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Unhinged ...

Question for you Bro. I saw within you initial post, Zeckhausen Racing. They are in NJ. I met Dave several times when I had my BMW M5 S3 DINAN package car.
Do you reside in NJ ?
PS ... Dave is a good guy.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Question for you Bro. I saw within you initial post, Zeckhausen Racing. They are in NJ. I met Dave several times when I had my BMW M5 S3 DINAN package car.
Do you reside in NJ ?
PS ... Dave is a good guy.
No, I'm in MD. I know of Zeckhausen by reputation. He was the one that came up with the solution for the BMW clutch delay valve that lots of folks were grumbling about. Dave's been extremely willing to help on this issue with the torque peak limiter (same type of device, different name).

Old 01-02-2016, 10:15 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

The bleed valve, though, needs to remain in place to bleed the system. There is a possibility that the unit can be disassembled and the check valve (ball and spring) removed. This would leave an entirely stock looking system.
Is the valve not a standalone part?

Patent US7556133 - Pressure controlled clutch peak torque limiter - Google Patents

Old 01-02-2016, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mshedden
Nope. In the picture above, the rubber cap on the right side of the TPL body covers the bleeder valve.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:19 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Will our clutched wear prematurely because the pressure plates are not fully seated when we apply torque?

Old 01-02-2016, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Buckingham
Will our clutched wear prematurely because the pressure plates are not fully seated when we apply torque?
Yes. That was a common common complaint among the bimmer drivers.

Quick Reply: Not Happy with Clutch Feel?