Sponsored by:

Not Happy with Clutch Feel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by f-driver
the throwout bearing shouldn't be gumed up by the plastic because the
bearing isn't in contact with the hydraulic fluid .

Best regards
Ulrich
Ulrich, agreed. More accurately, I should have stated that itis actually the hydraulic cylinder itself that could have plastic particles lodging themselves between the cylindrical piston and the cylinder wall. I'll keep everyone posted.

Lance

Old 01-18-2016, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Ulrich, agreed. More accurately, I should have stated that itis actually the hydraulic cylinder itself that could have plastic particles lodging themselves between the cylindrical piston and the cylinder wall. I'll keep everyone posted.
If it's really a concern you could rig something with a shop-vac to minimize the risk of debris getting below the bleed valve.

That does bring up a question I had initially though: That bleed nipple isn't at the end of the line, unless the part that goes into the bell housing to the slave cylinder goes down from the master cylinder side and returns to the bleeder. Is the slave cylinder at a hydraulic dead-end?

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (01-18-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo;
If it's really a concern you could rig something with a shop-vac to minimize the risk of debris getting below the bleed valve.
That's a great idea. I'll try to rig something up. A vacuum pump may even be more effective.

Originally Posted by lizzardo;
That does bring up a question I had initially though: That bleed nipple isn't at the end of the line, unless the part that goes into the bell housing to the slave cylinder goes down from the master cylinder side and returns to the bleeder. Is the slave cylinder at a hydraulic dead-end?
The slave is at a dead end. No return back up the 6" tube. However, given the very low viscosity of the specified class 6 fluid, the air bubbles in that tube should easily rise back up that tube. Standard DOT 4 fluid cannot be used. Of course, Jag charges $60 for 1000ml, but it can be ordered under the manufacturer's brand (ATE) for $17

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-18-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:03 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

My BMW used brake fluid for the hydraulic clutch and I would flush it with a pressure brake bleeder. If Jag is the same, you might put a slight positive pressure on the fluid while drilling so any debris would spill out into a catch basin.

Unhingd (01-18-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

That's a great idea. I'll try to rig something up. A vacuum pump may even be more effective.
Whatever is handy. If you can get the right drill speed to avoid smaller particles, it should be easier to contain debris.

The slave is at a dead end. No return back up the 6" tube. However, given the very low viscosity of the specified class 6 fluid, the air bubbles in that tube should easily rise back up that tube. Standard DOT 4 fluid cannot be used. Of course, Jag charges $60 for 1000ml, but it can be ordered under the manufacturer's brand (ATE) for $17
I haven't used any of the class 6 fluid yet. I've been through many gallons of DOT 4 though. I used Castrol GT LMA "back in the day" (when I had a shop) and have been using Ate Super Blue/Gold of late. I hear that's been discontinued though due to the dye.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Buckingham
My BMW used brake fluid for the hydraulic clutch and I would flush it with a pressure brake bleeder. If Jag is the same, you might put a slight positive pressure on the fluid while drilling so any debris would spill out into a catch basin.
Also a great idea. I'll see which option is best executed. I'm looking for a total process that will be most easily executed by the greatest number of people. I have a hand pressure/vacuum pump we could pass around with the right angle drill.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Whatever is handy. If you can get the right drill speed to avoid smaller particles, it should be easier to contain debris.

I haven't used any of the class 6 fluid yet. I've been through many gallons of DOT 4 though. I used Castrol GT LMA "back in the day" (when I had a shop) and have been using Ate Super Blue/Gold of late. I hear that's been discontinued though due to the dye.
The right stuff to use is ATE DOT 4 SL.6

Old 01-18-2016, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

The right stuff to use is ATE DOT 4 SL.6
I've seen it, but haven't needed to use any yet.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

FWIW, the ATE Superblue has only been deemed illegal in the US because it does not conform to US DOT standards. Brake fluid must be Clear or Amber...

I'm not so sure it is discontinued, more likely only unavailable in the US.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Default Clutch Delay Valve Delete completed.

With all the right tools in place, the project took a lot of patience and less than an hour. As soon as I test drive the car, I will report back and, if it was successful, I will describe the full process with crappy fotos.

Next project: clear out the glaciers obstructing garage door and driveway.

I did discover something interesting that I have never encountered before which affects the feel of the clutch pedal: Without the hydraulic pressure, the pedal toggles mechanically to the full up or full down position. This gives it whatever weak friction point feel it has. The CDV probably eliminated all sense of friction point.

Most pedals are spring loaded to the full up position.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Most pedals are spring loaded to the full up position.
Indeed, although the return spring for my C30 is unusual. It cams over so that when the pedal is more than halfway up it returns, and when the pedal is more than halfway down, it pushes down to relive some of the effort of holding the pedal depressed. It makes the clutch too light and even more vague than the one on the F-Type.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

Indeed, although the return spring for my C30 is unusual. It cams over so that when the pedal is more than halfway up it returns, and when the pedal is more than halfway down, it pushes down to relive some of the effort of holding the pedal depressed. It makes the clutch too light and even more vague than the one on the F-Type.
In fact, what you describe is exactly how the F-Type clutch pedal works. That combined with the Volvo "Torque Control Valve" that probably came straight off your C30 is the entirety of the pedal feel issue. However, see the next post.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Default Success: Pedal now feels connected to the clutch

I finished the project and managed to get the car out for a road test. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! The pedal now feels connected to the clutch (just like it should), and shifts can be completed far more quickly. There still isn't enough clamping force on the clutch, but that issue is far more manageable now that the clutch reacts immediately to driver input. Anyone uncomfortable with the clutch delay will be extremely pleased with this mod. If anyone is interested in doing this, I'll write up the procedures within the next couple of days.

The following 7 users liked this post by Unhingd:
BONESTOCK (11-26-2022), Buckingham (01-31-2016), DJS (02-01-2016), Foosh (01-31-2016), MagnumPI (02-02-2016), Manual-S (09-23-2019), TwiztOG43 (02-20-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-31-2016, 04:55 PM
Received 4,456 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Good work!

Old 01-31-2016, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

I finished the project and managed to get the car out for a road test. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! The pedal now feels connected to the clutch (just like it should), and shifts can be completed far more quickly. There still isn't enough clamping force on the clutch, but that issue is far more manageable now that the clutch reacts immediately to driver input. Anyone uncomfortable with the clutch delay will be extremely pleased with this mod. If anyone is interested in doing this, I'll write up the procedures within the next couple of days.
Good news. Glad to hear you're (more) satisfied with the clutch than before. I'll be interested to see the write-up.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Exclamation Clutch Delay Valve Delete Instructions.

Good news. Glad to hear you're (more) satisfied with the clutch than before. I'll be interested to see the write-up.
Here it is. To make it easier for someone to make a copy I am attaching the procedure as an Adobe file.

If anyone is keen on doing this, I would be happy to send out the drill extension, purge fitting and sample CDV (to see what you're dealing with up close) on loan.
CDV delete.pdf

BONESTOCK (11-26-2022)
Old 02-01-2016, 09:51 AM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

This is a cooler fix than Appollo XIII. Great work.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:06 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

OK, I'll do this when I get my new V6 S in May (after driving it a bit so I can tell the difference).

I have an idea for your next project. How about figuring out a way to make more space to the left of the clutch? Right now I can't slide my foot off the clutch to the left (when it's up, not at the bottom). I have to pick it up and tuck it under. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:25 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Awesome job!

Curious to know if total elimination of this device is the desired result, or if there is any benefit to controlling the effect to avoid totally slamming the driveline?

Here is a version that is available in different orifice sizes to control fluid flow:

http://tiltonracing.com/product/flow-control-valve/

Last edited by mshedden; 02-01-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I had the same question, and does that now void the clutch warranty because of extra wear and tear on the clutch?

Quick Reply: Not Happy with Clutch Feel?